This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More about novelty currency.

I like novelty currency, two-dollar bills, tuppence, half-dollars, and the U.S.'s numerous different dollar coins. I get a lot of them as a cashier, and I try to circulate them. Sometimes I cash them out and spend them elsewhere, but mostly I just try to give them in change. Yesterday on three different occasions I was given a half-dollar, both were Kennedies, one was minted in 1971 and the other two were from 2000. Later that day a total came up to eight and half dollars, and the man gave me a ten. So, I decided to give him three half-dollars in change. He went, "Neat!" and immediatly dropped the coins in the tip jar, which is what everyone does. Every time I try to give someone my novelty currency, they drop it in the tip jar. It's not annoying, just a strange habit of people. It's possible that most of these people wouldn't have tipped otherwise, so that's nice, (and possibly a sneaky way to encourage tipping.)
    You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

If I get the weird stuff, the only way I can get rid of it is to go all gushy and say "Hey! Look what I just got! Neat huh? You want it?" They almost always take it. If I just give it to them they will say they don't want it and give it back. Guess I gotta make them feel special.....The good stuff I buy myself. Had a guy come in last week and used $5 worth of 1950s silver(Franklin) half-dollars to buy beer. He obviously needed (right!) the beer more than he cared about the historic value of the coins. I've got a nice little collection going. Red and blue seal $2s & $5s, Indian Head pennies, Buffalo nickels, proof set coins of all types, you name it. In case you couldn't tell, beer and *weed trumps all at my store. Oh well, my gain.

*We don't sell weed, just rolling papers and that type of stuff. Thought I'd clear that up!
    Last edited by stickycoins; 10-20-2006, 06:32 PM. Reason: Addition
    USN Retired

Comment

Ah yes, I got one of those old silver-alloy half dollars once. Can't remember the year, but it had a picture of Kennedy on it and it were real shiney-like. Sold it to a collector for two bucks. I actually get a lot of half dollars, there's usually one or two in the drawer at all times. At least a few people actually treat them like respectable currency.
      You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
        So, I decided to give him three half-dollars in change. He went, "Neat!" and immediatly dropped the coins in the tip jar, which is what everyone does. Every time I try to give someone my novelty currency, they drop it in the tip jar. It's not annoying, just a strange habit of people. It's possible that most of these people wouldn't have tipped otherwise, so that's nice, (and possibly a sneaky way to encourage tipping.)
        That was one way the coin-op trade mags were actually suggesting to promote dollar coins-- point out to the bartenders that tips increased 10% in Canada when they dropped their dollar bill.

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
          Ah yes, I got one of those old silver-alloy half dollars once. Can't remember the year, but it had a picture of Kennedy on it and it were real shiney-like. Sold it to a collector for two bucks. I actually get a lot of half dollars, there's usually one or two in the drawer at all times. At least a few people actually treat them like respectable currency.
          Silver anything is respectable currency. I just unloaded a batch of mine at almost seven times face value, just because of the metal content.

Comment

U.S. dollar coins

I give 'em out for Halloween treats...along with a popcorn ball. Most kids haven't seen either one.
            I'd love for the U.S. to mint a $2 coin!

Comment

$2-bills are considered a novelty? Wow.

I mean, I know they're special, and I hoard mine, but...

Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I tend to collect stuff like that, just for the silver value. Unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough to be able to buy actual silver out of the drawer at work, other than a few dimes and one silver Canadian quarter, though if comeone buys a pizza with Franklin halves, THEY'RE MINE!!!! GET OUT OF THE WAY!!

I do occasionaly buy halves and dollar coins at the bank, just as a means of stockpiling. I'm less wiling to use those on a daily basis, but when I'm short on money and need it, there it is.
                You're focusing on the problem. If you focus on the problem, you can't see the solution. Never focus on the problem! --From Patch Adams

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  $2-bills are considered a novelty? Wow.

I mean, I know they're special, and I hoard mine, but...

Just -try- taking them to a store and see what happens.... Make sure someone old works there.

Comment

Wow I didn't know $2 bills where considered novelty anymore either. I thought they where still valid currency?

Whats funny/ironic is that the elementary school had some kind of civics contest and my son won a $2 bill today.

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
                      Wow I didn't know $2 bills where considered novelty anymore either. I thought they where still valid currency?

Whats funny/ironic is that the elementary school had some kind of civics contest and my son won a $2 bill today.
                      It's valid, but people don't see much of it....

Comment

When I was a burger slave, I had a regular customer who would go to the bank and take out money all in $2 bills - about $100 worth at a time. I'm not sure why he liked them so much, but he didn't hoard them- he would spend them. It was curious.

Comment

Quoth booger View Post
                          When I was a burger slave, I had a regular customer who would go to the bank and take out money all in $2 bills - about $100 worth at a time. I'm not sure why he liked them so much, but he didn't hoard them- he would spend them. It was curious.
                          Compared to some customer weirdness, this seems almost amusing.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth booger View Post
                            I had a regular customer who would go to the bank and take out money all in $2 bills - about $100 worth at a time. I'm not sure why he liked them so much, but he didn't hoard them- he would spend them. It was curious.

Probably because some people have never seen OR heard of them, and think they're fake. He probably likes educating people out them. <---That's what I would do with mine, but I'm KEEPING them, darn it.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I like the strange coins myself, though usually I look for things like silver quarters and such.

Recently, I picked up a "cameo" quarter. (Looks like this: http://cache.tias.com/stores/kenjoge...res/16275a.jpg ) It's actually a proof coin, not supposed to be circulated.

I've also got a handful of mercury dimes, and a 1932 twenty dollar bill somewhere.
                              Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Working...
                              X