This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moron at Our Table Tries to Stiff Us

Since it's still about an sc, but didn't happen to me while I was working, I figured General was a good spot to post this.

I came home for the weekend and was forced by my girlfriend to go to my old highschool's football team. I went, I sat there and watch the team get beat my a team that has been horrible for years. Then she told me she wanted us to go with the rest of the marching band to Applebees for dinner.

For the most part, I like the people at my table. My girlfriend, well duh. One of my best friends and her really nice boyfriend, good people. Even another one of my friend's little sister was at our table, she's ok. But HER boyfriend, is a douchebag. That story would have to be another post. We have dinner, I'm reminded why I generally hate young teenagers even though I'm still only 18.

We get the bill and my best friend's boyfriend and I decide we'll throw in what we owe plus three bucks so the server will end up with a $9 tip for a $50 bill. Just under 20%, not bad for a place that isn't exactly a nice resturant. We give the last guy the bill so he can throw in his money and he gives the waiter all of the cash and the bill. I was wondering what happend to the $9 tip when the waiter comes back to give me the change. Shouldn't be any change...I ask the other guy how much he threw in and he said enough to pay the rest of the bill. When I tell him his and his girlfriend's food cost $20 total and he only threw in $15, he took the receipt and looked it over, then finally handed me another five bucks. I went back to my best friend's boyfriend and told him what happened. We added a couple more bucks to it then made sure to hand it to our waiter.

I mean, what a scumbag. $9.99+$4.99+$4.99=$19.97 EASY. Could have just rounded. But he tried to gip us instead. Did he think we weren't going to tip the waiter at all? That's just messed up.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

He is scum.

Now me, if I have a good experance at the restuarant, then I will leave a tip, and if I don't, then they will not get one.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I always tip regardless unless the waiter/waitress is a total jerk. That'd be the only time I'd consider stiffing them. If the waiter is attentive and everything, I'll tip my normal 20%. If they barely check on us, I'll do 10-15% based on how nice the place is.
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I've only ever stiffed somebody once. My waiter left my boyfriend and I were waiting for the check for literally an hour after we finished eating. This particular diner moves at a pretty leisurely pace, but an hour was just a little ridiculous, especially since it was about ten at night (24 hour diner) and there were only about three parties in the place.

I wouldn't have stiffed him even then, until he came to our table and actually told us that he'd been chatting with a friend the whole time. Ouch.

The only other time that I tipped really poorly was last week, when my waiter grabbed my plate without moving the ketchup-covered knife to the center of the plate and got ketchup all over my new pants.

I don't understand why people don't leave nice tips, especially in places they frequent. It's almost like an investment...I go to that diner pretty frequently, and every other time but the two situations above, I tip really well. They remember me, and every time I come in I get amazing service. It's the same as being nice. I remember the nice customers, and I'm more likely to void their late fees than I am to "take care of" the charges that some jackass just doesn't feel like paying.

Comment

The one thing I liked about the restaurant biz were the regulars...especially bar regulars. Yes, they would get special treatment most of the time, but that's only because they were always super cool. Most of my regulars always tipped really nice and then if they came in around Xmas time and I waited on them. They always gave extra! Regulars were cool.
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
            The one thing I liked about the restaurant biz were the regulars...especially bar regulars. Yes, they would get special treatment most of the time, but that's only because they were always super cool. Most of my regulars always tipped really nice and then if they came in around Xmas time and I waited on them. They always gave extra! Regulars were cool.
            My friends and I are regulars at two bars. We're all in our late 20's and get together at least once a week to wind down and, yes, drink! The bartenders at the two bars we frequent know us and know what we like to drink. We tip them at least $1 per drink minimum. At least. Sometimes more. They know us. They love us. They know we pay cash. And we know that occassionally (though not every visit) we'll get a comped drink. Now that's what I call a mutually satisfactory relationship.
            Do I dare
            Disturb the universe?
            In a minute there is time
            For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

T.S. Eliot

Comment

Working...
            X