X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ups and Downs of this year so far.

First, the good news.

(back story fun!)
    My deli is rejoicing. Within the past year, my manager J got transfered, and assistant manager JE retired. (Because of me)

J was verbally abusive to her employees. You had to walk on egg shells around her because she'd take her bad moods out on everyone else. And, she had been a manager for 20 years and still had no clue how to do her job. She sat upstairs in the office 90% of the time.

JE was a control freak who thought because she was rich she was better then everyone. She also thought it was a good idea to sell meet that was three weeks passed it's expiration date.

So, J went to another store, and we got D. (awesomeness). Well, since we had no assistant manager, M was next on the senority list so she became it. She was...okay to deal with before her promotion. But then she turned into a clone of JE. D would tell her something, she would do the exact opposite, then blame the rest of the deli. Left huge piles of dishes, left the trash cans over flowing, left her messes ALL OVER the counter, the other counter, the slicers, and the floors!

(back story done!)

Well, anyways. M is now gone.
    She had been working there for 11 years.
    She "quit" last week with a two day notice.
    But of course, she didn't really quit. She apparently didn't have a social security number. For 11 years, they let her work without it. And just last week finally told her that she no longer had a job.

And now the bad news.

We have another manager who starts with M. He doesnt' work in the deli, he's a grocery guy. Very nice guy, but so by the book you couldn't get him to budge on any rule. I'll call him MM.

Well three weeks ago, MM had a heart attack. Not at work, but still. Was sent to the hospital. Spent a few days there, but got to go home. Was due to return this coming week. Two weeks ago. He was shopping at some store. Suddenly he collapsed. People called 911, but other then that, they did nothing. He wasn't breathing, but no one gave him CPR. No one even put something between his head and the concrete.

All because the people around him were afraid if they tried to help, and things went bad, they'd be sued.

His brain was without oxygen for about 10 minutes. He's been in a coma since. Two weeks now, and he hasn't woken up. No brain activity. The family is debating what to do.....

And according to our lovely store manager (hatehatehatehate), "What happens to him is none of our concern. The store will run fine either way."

So..that's how the new year is going for our store.
    Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Quoth Kyree View Post

And according to our lovely store manager (hatehatehatehate), "What happens to him is none of our concern. The store will run fine either way."
    And when lovely store manager kicks off--"What happens to him is none of our concern. The store will run fine either way."

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Or the manager gets taken out and the store will run fine either way.
      Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
        All because the people around him were afraid if they tried to help, and things went bad, they'd be sued.
        This makes me so so very sad, but it's true. And people have to be worried about it. If someone made a mistake in trying to save someone -- or didn't even make a mistake, but just couldn't save the person -- and the family of the hurt person turned out to be like the customers we mention on this site? The good samaritan could be sued and taken to court and, with the EWness of a lot of our nation, would most likely lose.

It's sad that our country has come to this, but it's true.
        I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Quoth persephone View Post
          This makes me so so very sad, but it's true. And people have to be worried about it. If someone made a mistake in trying to save someone -- or didn't even make a mistake, but just couldn't save the person -- and the family of the hurt person turned out to be like the customers we mention on this site? The good samaritan could be sued and taken to court and, with the EWness of a lot of our nation, would most likely lose.

It's sad that our country has come to this, but it's true.
          Actually, in the States and Canada, if you have a valid certification for First Aid or CPR, you are 100% covered under the Good Samaritan laws. Even if you are not certified, many places protect you anyway, so long as you are acting within reason.

Those laws were specifically passed to combat the lawsuit-shy nature of society. Best bet for info on your local laws would be to contact the local Red Cross. Normally very helpful folks for those sorts of questions.

I'm sorry to hear about your manager, Kyree. It's a damn shame that no one would step in to help the poor man. I hope it haunts them the rest of their lives.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Update:

The manager was taken off life support. He survived for about a week, though never woke up. He passed away about a week ago, now. Store manager still didn't seem to care one bit.
            Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the passing of MM. M, should really be ashamed of herself.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Working...
              X