Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New job in the works (LONG LONG LOOONG POST)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New job in the works (LONG LONG LOOONG POST)

Thinking this may not be the best place for this.. Feel free to move this etc and so forth if you are a mod. (Lack of sleep, sorry for bluntness)

For those that don't go to chat much, I recently applied for a job at (national departmant store). After a week, I pretty much thought, 'eh, i failed. No big deal. Next time.' And moved on.

But then, 2 weeks later, I got called for an interview, in what may be the strangest luck, and an omen, that I've ever had.

Basic story: I applied, and later told a staff member I get along with. She says "oh, I can talk to a manager that i know for you.' This makes me feel pretty lucky.

Then, time passes, about the 2 weeks. Day of the phone call and interview and day before, and this happens:

I work nightshift, as regularly. Go home, sleep for about 4 hours.. where I usually get 8, or 10. This slams me. Eh, I figure. I'll sleep during the night, and be good for the 4 hour training I face. This... fails to happen. I sleep maybe, in three attempts, 2 more hours total.

Then, I go to training... by taxi. What happens? It isn't on. The time my boss had was wrong. It was meant to be on at 1 that afternoon. I call, and explain. I inform him that I will not be awake for that session, as the Wall is flying at me rather quickly, and I'm about to slam into it, and sleep. He says "that's ok. I'll put you in for the thurs 830am session.'

Take taxi home 10 minutes later. Am tired, very annoyed, and out of pocket.

Walk in the door, and the phone rings. Ignore, too tired. Phone stops. Mobile rings. Don't know the number.. I answer anyway. It's the person at (place) asking if i could come in for an interview. At 4 that afternoon.

I reply with a hearty yes. She informs me that I'll need my resume... Ack. I do my resume for 3 hours. Finish. Walk to store to buy paper for printer I've never opened.

Open printer, install program. Takes 20 minutes. Figure out ink and paper insertion. 10 minutes. Annoyed because I'm tired and stupid. Print. Sleep for 3 hours.

I go to interview early, and sit. And sit. And sit. For 40 mins. 10 mins past when it was meant to start. Imagine coffee of unheard of strength being poured down my gullet.

And then it happens. After seeing, and looking for 'mr x', who is interviewing me, I see HIM. And as soon as I do, I know who I'm interviewed by.

A regular, but pretty cool, customer. He sees me. I see him. We both know.

Interview happens, nothing major.

Anyway.. we finally get to the point, and the latest happening.

I just got a call, saying that two of my references were personal, and won't count. I explain, the person understands that i've been at my current hell for 4 years, and can't get references from the other places. Closed down/gone etc.

She says she talked to (semi-manager) instead of (site-manager). Asks if she can include him, and still call the manager when he's next in (which is monday. He's hiding for a while). I say basically, in a long winded way, 'Yeah, that would be fine'.
    She also, several times, says 'If your application is successful, and it's looking pretty good, you'll be called...' i forget when.

I am 96% sure from that, I'm in.

Can I sleep now? Pleeeeeaaaassse?
    3 Basic rules for ordering food.
    - Order from the menu.
    - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
    - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Ack! The waiting, the stress, the lack of sleep, the multiple phone calls in one day when you haven't heard from them in weeks. It's all an insidious scheme. They want to see you at your worst.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
      Ack! The waiting, the stress, the lack of sleep, the multiple phone calls in one day when you haven't heard from them in weeks. It's all an insidious scheme. They want to see you at your worst.
      Oh I agree....I think it is a form of torture these companies devised to test perspective employees.

Sir, keeping fingers crossed for ya, and hoping your in dreamland...lol

Comment

Quoth Sir Spaniard the 12th View Post
        I am 96% sure from that, I'm in.

Can I sleep now? Pleeeeeaaaassse?
        I will cross fingers, eyes, wires, purposes and anything else I can think of to push you over that last 4%...good luck!!

And, for goodness' sake - go to SLEEP!!
        Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

I just got the phone call then.. and I've been successful! I have my induction-shift on saturday.
          3 Basic rules for ordering food.
          - Order from the menu.
          - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
          - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Comment

Working...
          X