This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what did you say?! *panic*

not sure if this is the right forum, so feel free to move if necessary.

Today at the grocery store, I took my drawer into the countdown room, counted it down, etc etc. Sup T is checking my numbers against the computer, then goes, "Fleur."

me: ...what.
    T: You're short by like 300 dollars.
    me: ...WHAT.

i about peed myself. i've been off before but never by more than two or three dollars.

she calls over manager P, who is incredibly intimidating, whether he wants to be or not, so he's asking me questions while i'm trying to figure out what could have happened to two hundred and forty dollars i wasn't even sure i had. i think i came off as a bit of an idiot.

T eventually noticed that the amount missing was the exact amount that I'd given sup R in a pickup earlier. Apparently R never got around to putting that amount in the computer, even though she'd done my credit slips, bottle returns, etc. It all checked out, the paperwork came out wrong consistently with T's theory.

she said she'd call if it turned out differently, but she hasn't called in five hours, so i hope i'm safe. *touch wood*

but still, that is NOT the thing you want to hear after a long day. *phew*
    verily, i doth be a buckete.

Just to make ya feel better let me tell you my story

ring ring ring

Amy the company that takes away our deposits for the week is here and you are missing a 600 dollar deposit.

Apparently I left the deposit on the desk (that's what we figured) and someone came in a grabbed it. So I was short 600 dollars, that sucked.

Comment

We just recently had to switch the way we run our registers because our drawers kept coming up short. ( ) Originally, everyone had thier own code and they used the same till all day long, doing pickups when necessary. That is, until in the time span of 3 days, we lost $400 total by coming up short for some reason. I was not there, so I know it wasnt me.

Now, nobody touches my register but me. If I need to take a break, my relief uses another register, with less money in it or something. Who knows. All I know is that whoever is screwing up the tills is gonna get busted eventually, and I can stop having heart palpitations that they think its me pocketing the money. (I'm the newest one there)

Comment

I'm of the school of thought that if I'm responsible for cash, then I'm the only one touching it. If someone else touches it, I absolve myself from all responsibility, since I can't have any idea if the other person did it right. In my first job, managment even had to sign a little sheet saying they picked up a drop from you, and initial that it was the right amount.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I spent all of yesterday tracking down the problems from the weekend. We were short on Friday (I left early, so I didn't close for once), over on Saturday, then we opened with extra money in the till on Sunday.

The numbers add up....except not, because Sunday's closing should have been over by the same amount as the opening, and it wasn't.

I thought we were past this.

I have two people who are no longer allowed to close the till. And I really hope I don't have to institute a new policy that we close tills if we have a shift-change in the middle of the day. That would just be extra work for everyone, and we don't do the volume necessary for a drop in the middle of the day.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
            I'm of the school of thought that if I'm responsible for cash, then I'm the only one touching it. If someone else touches it, I absolve myself from all responsibility, since I can't have any idea if the other person did it right. In my first job, managment even had to sign a little sheet saying they picked up a drop from you, and initial that it was the right amount.
            That's basically want we do. They take drop and check it twice with scale. If it matches the person who takes money and the cashier sighs the individual bag and a paper slip.

Comment

I dont work in a store like some of you guys but we use a system called Cash Guard over here.

It works like this, when the customer pays he hands the cash over to the cashier and the cashier will then take the bills and slide them inside a box with a reader that will scan the money and register the amount paid on the screen. Change will pop out on the front of the machine facing the customer. So there is no need for the cashier to remember to give the change back or to count them or anything. It is all done automatically.

There is no way the cashier can access any money other than while "feeding" the computer. So basically the computer is responsible for making sure the correct amount of cash is always inside the register.

We also have a system where the cashier can transfer cash from the register to the back office, should the register end up with "too much" money. For safety purposes obviously. It works like this. The cashier removes a bit of cash from the register and puts them inside some kind of cylinder shaped tube, then she puts that inside a pipe that is connected to the room in the back. With just air pressure in the pipe the cylinder shaped tube will get "flushed" sucked up and fly away. Each tube is unique for each cashiers desk.

Kinda neat I suppose and would totally be helpful in your case I suppose.

Comment

Quoth radx View Post
                The cashier removes a bit of cash from the register and puts them inside some kind of cylinder shaped tube, then she puts that inside a pipe that is connected to the room in the back. With just air pressure in the pipe the cylinder shaped tube will get "flushed" sucked up and fly away. Each tube is unique for each cashiers desk.

Kinda neat I suppose and would totally be helpful in your case I suppose.
                Pneumatic tubes are an old idea. They had them at my second theatre, for the box office to use to send cash to the office. However, they weren't unique. They just all fed to the same tube in the back. Quite annoying, since that meant it wasn't really possible for them to send tubes back to you, and on a busy day, you'd run out.

However, that register is probably one of the coolest things I've ever heard of!
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth radx View Post
                  There is no way the cashier can access any money other than while "feeding" the computer. So basically the computer is responsible for making sure the correct amount of cash is always inside the register.
                  My bank in NZ has this machine, the cashiers dont have a drawer of money they share this machine with the cashier next to them. If you want to deposit, they feed the bills into the machine and hand you a print out to sign.

If your withdrawing cash that amount pops out a second slot and again you sign a print out. It makes it MUCH safer for the bank tellers and much safer for you. Plus you deposit it instant, the old way used to hold my money over until the end of the day.... very annoying!
                  I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Working...
                  X