This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst.day.ever. *RANT*

This had to be my worst day ever at work.

To start off, my power went out while I was asleep. The result? My alarm is blinking 12:00 when my manager wakes me up at 6:00 PM asking where the hell I'm at (I was supposed to be there at 5.. argh). I closed the night before, and normally don't wake up until about 4pm anyway.

I get to work.. grab my first delivery, and glance at the address to make sure it matches my delivery slip. Yup, 123 Elm. Grab the drinks printed on my ticket and head to that apartment complex. Only... there were 2 deliveries going to that complex, and another driver accidentally grabbed my delivery, and after he left I grabbed his. Go double checking! So we wind up with some pissy customers. Whoops. In my defense, our label printer is so old that you can barely read anything it prints out (can't make out phone numbers or order numbers on it - it's a thermal printer.. you can barely make out the address and what the pizza is supposed to be).

Another one.. I got boneheaded and couldn't find an apartment. I've been to this friggin apartment before, but I had a total brain fart. When I looked at the ticket to try and call the customer.. wtf? What's this area code 990? I try it anyway, and Sprint PCS happily reports that it's not a valid area code. (it was supposed to be 903, which still isn't local to us) Eventually the customer calls and cusses out the assistant manager - he remakes the order so it's fresh and sends me back out. This time I actually find the place (oops) and apologize to the customer.. and blame it on "that new driver who couldn't find his own head" , inform the customer it's on us, and get my only decent tip of the night from him. Okay, things are looking up a little, right?

No.. more than half of my customers didn't even tip more than $1, several just the loose change. I didn't make crap tonight.

Being Halloween weekend, there were a LOT of drunks on the road - moreso than a normal Saturday night. I had FIVE close calls from people either pulling out in front of me, running a red light, or the best one was when the Jeep in the middle lane (I was in the left lane just slightly behind them) decided they'd swerve in front of me to turn left.

I had to close with a driver who I don't really get along with, and the assistant mgr decided to switch up what each of us does. That part was fine, I did all my stuff, but then the other driver shoved a rolling table without looking (which hit me HARD in the ribs).. that got him cussed out pretty bad, then a few minutes later he tossed a couple of 2 liter carriers from the cola company across the kitchen, nailing me in the legs pretty damn hard (asst mgr had to get between us, I lost it and was about to toss the guy through the window).

Oh yeah - both our makeup air and exhaust fans are on the same circuit breaker for some reason. Right before close I started getting really dizzy - then noticed the lights on the exhaust hood were off (they're on the same breaker). I reached up.. no air movement at all, with a 431 degree forced air gas oven under it. Breaker had tripped! I reset it.. it tripped again after about 30 seconds. Tried again.. this time it just buzzed really loud and popped immediately. That's bad. Our carbon monoxide detector started screeching about this time too. So we shut the oven off.. 5 minutes early. Once the oven had cooled off and the fans in it had shut down, I turned on the breaker and stood under the hood - you could clearly hear a loud buzzing and crackling coming through the ducts before it tripped again, and a nice burnt wiring smell started making its way in. Ack.

</rant>

There's even more, but that's the worst of it. Don't think I've ever been so close to walking out in the middle of a shift before.
    Last edited by bean; 10-29-2006, 07:33 AM.

Wow....that sounds bad. My advice would be to have a nice glass of wine, stick on some nice music and have a long hot bubble bath...mmmm...

I hope tommorow is better!
    No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

I feel for you! I hope your next work day is better.
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

wow, just wow.
        he tossed a couple of 2 liter carriers from the cola company across the kitchen, nailing me in the legs pretty damn hard
        I've had a coworker break my pinky finger for me.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
          he tossed a couple of 2 liter carriers from the cola company across the kitchen, nailing me in the legs pretty damn hard
          Can we say "battery," boys and girls? I knew you could. Please tell me he had the cops called on his ass.
          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

I can only say "battery" when I'm singing along to the MetallicA song of the same name.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
              Can we say "battery," boys and girls? I knew you could. Please tell me he had the cops called on his ass.
              Well, he supposedly didn't intend to hit me - he tossed them behind his back without even looking.

But yeah, he almost learned the definition of battery. I'm a bit hot headed.

Comment

Working...
              X