This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New appreciation - Long and boring

I give my drivers a hard time all the time because sometimes they just whine SOOOO much! You'd swear you were dealing with a bunch of children!

I think I've explained somewhere before the differences in tow trucks...a flatbed pulls the vehicle up onto the back of the truck completely off the ground. These are used mainly for 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicles or two wheel drive vehicles that have an issue where they can't be on a wheel lift. A wheel lift picks up the veh by either the front or rear.

Now, I can send a wheel lift out to a vehicle that is 4 wheel or all wheel drive if it's needed. Wheel lifts have these things called dollies - two sets of extra wheels - each set has two wheels. The lift picks up the front of the veh - the driver pulls the dollies off the back of the truck and uses those sets under the rear tires. The prop them under the tires and use an axle across them then lift and lock them under the rear tires.

The drivers hate to "throw" dollies. They will, but if you send them on call after call after call where they have to do this, they will whine! I never thought it was that big of a deal - my attitude was, "you drive a tow truck, you knew what the job may entail, shut up and do it!" I have even mentioned that I could probably do it without whining.

Well, the other night, while dispatching from our garage (usually we dispatch from a call center) I told one of the drivers that I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. So, he takes me over to a new truck and says, "pull 'em"

Well, I'm about 5'5", where the dollies sit on the truck are about at the height of my shoulders and they weigh at least 80 lbs. So, I get my tiny girly hands around the lever and pull with all my girly might - Yeah, they weren't moving! The driver snapped them out for me and I was able to finally lift them - but MAN! There's just no way I'd be able to do that all day long! Then, getting them back on the truck was funny as well. Granted, these guys are a lot stronger than me, but I can understand their frustration now!

I'm not the type of chic that's afraid to get her hands dirty! As a matter-of-fact I love jobs where there is intensive manual labor. Even though I love my job now, I can't stand the "sit at a desk all day" crap! I've been thinking about being a driver! Well, I now know that I can't pull dollies off the newer trucks.

One of the smaller trucks came back and I tried to lift those dollies and they were much easier but not that much easier, however, I got them off without any help. It would still be a pain. Not to mention, I didn't try to lift and lock them with a vehicle on them!

Anyway, that was probably boring, but I am here at work for 16 hours today and just looking for some conversation.
    Last edited by friendofjimmyk; 10-29-2006, 12:44 PM. Reason: had some extra wording that didn't make sense
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

personally i kinda wish that everyone gets a shot at everyone elses job in a workplace. i dont mean like switch jobs for a day but just see what the hard part is about them.

Personaly i have gone through so many positions at my dept store that when i hear people complaining about how slow stock guys are even though i know they have about 40 pages or how dumb cashiers are I have been in those positions and i know that most of the time its legit why its so frustrating.

I just like to have people have a little bit better understanding as to why something may take awhile or why it is such a frustrating job ^^
    Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

That's why I did that...I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. And, like I said, even though they are all stronger than me - throwing dollies is NOT fun!
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...
      X