This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geez, get a sense of humor!

One of our tech guys is a little...odd. He's a bit of a bore, latching on to any topic of conversation, running it into the ground, and following you around to continue talking about said subject. He's the sort who always has to be right about everything, and if you're excited about anything, he has to take that down. You all know the type.

Well, anyone, this coworker whom I shall call K is rather attached to his office plant. His first one was stolen when he left it outside to get some sun, we bought him another one, which died, and he now has a third one. It's raining a bit today, and he took the plant out to get some air and rain. He put it very close to the front office door.

So my coworker A ran out, grabbed the plant, and hid it in her cubicle.

Needless to say, K goes nuts. Goes looking around the parking lot, storming through the office, etc. Finally, he goes back into the office, and A sneaks back out and puts the plant back. K finds it, figures it out, and goes to talk to A.

A: Dude, that was so funny!

K: That wasn't funny! I had a plant stolen before!

A: Oh come on, that was funny.

K: It's not funny! I was really upset!

A: It's a plant! And it's fine! It was funny! Get a sense of humor!

K: It wasn't funny!

Geez....
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Me at the time I wouldn't have found it funny. But thats just me.

Comment

I might not have been happy either. And I don't think it's fair to just expect somebody to be all smiles and ha-has when something of theirs is just taken for no apparent reason.

With pranks, you kinda have to make sure the target of the prank will respond well to it.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'd call that a prank that backfired. That's the risk you take when you decide to prank people.

I suspect K does have a sense of humour - most people do - it's just not once based on that type of prank. You really have to fit the prank to the person, after all.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I think if he'd not had a plant stolen once already, he'd probably have taken it better. Then again, with that description, he could have taken it poorly no matter the day.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

The plant is probably the only thing he gets along with. Don't take that away from him.
            "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

I mourned big time when my Jade plant died (all four of them).

I'm not a very good Plant-Daddy.

I'm gonna try herbs next. Got the seed packets and everything.

Watch me kill these, too.
              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Maybe you have to know K...he delights in tormenting other people, but can't take it when a joke is played on him. Oh well.
                "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                  Maybe you have to know K...he delights in tormenting other people, but can't take it when a joke is played on him. Oh well.
                  Know what ya mean. My mom teases me relentlessly, especially on anything that's a sensitive subject. But the second I say anything back she freaks out and says I don't love her. You'd have to know my family is known for it's playful back-and-forth banter to understand just how weird it is to us for her to get so upset.
                  "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

A good friend and I tend to banter back and forth. We'll play devil's advocate and go out of our way to pick apart what each other says. Trust me though, we do this playfully and enjoy egging each other on. It isn't mean, it's just conversation and is never said in raised voices or anger. We were quite surprised one day when another friend chewed us out and told us to stop arguing. Unlike us, this friend tends to take things seriously and isn't sarcastic like we are. Different reactions for a different audience.

Although I do understand the irony of hiding the plant, I didn't think it was funny either. Taking or messing with my possessions feels like a huge invasion of my privacy, regardless of whether it was outside or not.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                      he delights in tormenting other people, but can't take it when a joke is played on him.

Ah. That's different.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                        I'm gonna try herbs next. Got the seed packets and everything.

Watch me kill these, too.
                        I killed Thyme
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                          I killed Thyme
                          You killed Thyme?! So THAT'S why my watch stopped!
                          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

IMHO, there is nothing funnier than playing practical jokes on humorless people.

Then again, I tend to have a '15 year old boy' sense of humor.

Rock on.
                            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                              IMHO, there is nothing funnier than playing practical jokes on humorless people.

Then again, I tend to have a '15 year old boy' sense of humor.

Rock on.
                              Hehe, speaking of teenage boys...my friend and I once used sparkling apple juice to trick one of the younger kids (who had just become a teenager at the time) into thinking he was drunk. He fell for it hook, line, and sinker. ^_~

While we're on the subject of 15 year old boy humor, does that mean I can tell all the poo-poo and fart jokes I want without grossing you out? Sweet!

"Hey Phillip, guess what?"

"What?"

*while farting* "Faaaaaart"
                              Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

Working...
                              X