This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Confusion

About a month ago, I started a job at a supermarket. I have been doing generally fine, and the lady who we count out to told me I'm always accurate down to the penny. One day, about two weeks ago, I was suddenly 40 dollars short. The lady said "No way, not this girl, something must be wrong here." and just told me to go home. Apparently it was settled, as I didn't get a write up. Then today, I end up 20 dollars over? It's something that I'm not understanding. I know I'm not infalliable, but 20 dollars is a huge mistake, especially when I haven't made any other mistakes like that during my time at the supermarket. It makes me feel like I'm stupid when I know I'm not, besides I'm a Math major in college. It's my best subject and has always been. Also, I always triple count my money before I give it to customers(and I probably look like I have OCD doing it. lol.), because I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    So the lady, a different one than my normal count out lady, says I'm going to get written up for it and I probably didn't give enough during a cash back or during a change exchange with a fellow cashier. I only did two cash backs today, and both of them involved me handing the customer a 50 dollar bill, which they requested, instead of 10s and 20s. I made change for a few cashiers today, but we always count and exchange the money right in front of each other to ensure we have no mixups.
    I know I'm human and I make mistakes, but something in me isn't accepting this "mistake". We start with 50 a day, and I told the lady upstairs that my till was 20 cents short. My feeling is that they accidentally input 20 dollars short, and that is what made me 20 dollars over. I just have a strange feeling. It's a really defunct workplace, many of the cashiers do not speak and behave properly, as well as the people who work upstairs. This morning when I came in, my male co-worker said good morning and I did the same. As I was going upstairs to get my till, I heard one of the female front managers say "She's a triflin' little (something that rhymes with witch). She don't say Good Morning to me. She don't know who she's messin with." First off, I'm very quiet. I just started there and I'm very shy. I usually only speak when spoken to. If she would have said Good Morning I would have said it back, not to mention when he said it to me, my Good Morning back was addressed to everyone standing there. To call me that over a Good Morning? That's a bit much, especially when you have joked with me in the past about how silent I am. If it bothered her, she could have taken me aside and said to me "Hey, you never say anything when you come in. Like, good morning." and I'd make a mental note of it, but for a 40 something year old woman to curse about a 21 year old like that, who's simply shy...it's wrong, in my opinion.
    Things like this are really making me want to leave this job, but this is my first job and I've applied to so many and got rejected. I got this job due to a family friend. I just simply don't know what to do here. Any suggestions?

What are your opening/closing procedures? Do you have to count out a float at the end of the day for the next day? For being short one day and over the next, usually it is simply a miscounted float. As for the other 20 dollars, if it was a mistake in an exchange with another cashier, there's probably another cashier who is over by 20.
    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Quoth IhateCrappyTire View Post
      What are your opening/closing procedures? Do you have to count out a float at the end of the day for the next day? For being short one day and over the next, usually it is simply a miscounted float. As for the other 20 dollars, if it was a mistake in an exchange with another cashier, there's probably another cashier who is over by 20.

Or they are trying to set you up to take a fall. Had this happen to me years ago when I was an assistant Manager at a fast food restaurant. They wanted to get rid of someone who wasn't working and set him up by intentionally leaving money out of his bank or putting too much in and then telling him he was over or short. He finally got fired too. That sucks!!!!!

Comment

Well, doesn't hurt to start looking again. Besides, the fact that you are currently holding a job gets you bonus points with other places, because it shows that you are employable.

Comment

When I tended bar, we always checked our register at the start of our shift to make sure we had our starting balance correct. We always started with $300 in the drawer. BEFORE anything else was done, we counted the drawer. If it was off, it went back to get fixed.
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

When I was hired, I was told that if I was $4+ over, I'd be written up, or $4 under I'd be written up and it'd come out of my pay.

For the first few weeks, I was pretty scared about it, and I triple-checked all the change I gave. But then I realised that managers randomly took cash out of registers, in order to re-fill their coins. Plus, when I went on break, someone else would take over my register!

So, I still double-check when I give out change, but there's no way I'm taking any blame if things don't add up!

But when I count out a cash drawer (already $100, we just have to double-check), if I'm over/under, a manager will fix it right there. If someone were to put it into a computer like in the OP, I'd watch over their shoulder. People can be a little careless when it's not their job on the line!
            Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
            Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
            <3 Arrested Development

Comment

Quoth sarahj View Post
              When I was hired, I was told that if I was $4+ over, I'd be written up, or $4 under I'd be written up and it'd come out of my pay.
              If you are $4+ over, I think they should add it to your pay...
              free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Working...
              X