This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fucking OWWW

This happened the same day as this. I neglected to post it until now. I guess Karma had to get a word in edgewise.

I was continuing to stock and backstock toilet paper off the truck. While I was merrily gallivanting down the main aisle with a pallet of paper products, a stack of the boxes tumbled forward off the pallet and nailed me right in the back of the leg.

Terrible, horrible, intense icky PAIN.

Yet I managed not to swear because there were customers around.

I rolled around on the floor for a minute or so in pain, and then I got up and walked it off. I've now got a lovely bruise on the back of my leg from almost my knee to almost my ankle.

And then, as I was walking off the pain, this lady came up to me and told me "At least it was just toilet paper and not something heavier." Maybe so, but toilet paper boxes are pretty heavy and densely-packed.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    "At least it was just toilet paper and not something heavier."
    Damn it, paper products HURT.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Did the box fall because someone (probably a SC) pushed the box into you in an attempt to get your attention? Because, I've seen customers try to grab things off of pallets when a stocker is trying to walk thru a herd of clueless morons.

When I worked at WM, some doofus made the pallet cart thingie (ok, cant remember the name of the thing, it's been awhile) crash into an endcap because they thought the stockperson was going to stock some overpriced highly sought after product and they wanted to be first. The stocker was injured. (the pallet thingie rolled into the back of his leg and he ended up with a huge cut from the wooden pallet on the back of his leg...)

Comment

@ IP; Well, hopefully the customer that made that comment was doing it out of concern, and not 'ha ha, you got hurt'

@ Erin; IIRC it's called a Pallet Jack.

Comment

Quoth Salted Grump View Post
          @ Erin; IIRC it's called a Pallet Jack.
          Also known as a Skid Jack, Pallet Mover, and God Damnit, That's Not A Scooter!!!
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

No assistance from any SCs. The boxes just fell off the pallet on their own.

Comment

One thing people who haven't worked in a stock room don't understand is just how heavy pallets can be.

And because its so heavy, it doesn't have to move very quickly to cause serious injury or damage. A completely full pallet of water is about 2m^3 of water. Thats fucking HEAVY.

Its a minor miracle that someone can move that much water on their own, and its definitely a hazard should that much weight go out of control, such as a random customer decided to hijack the pallet jack and take it for a drive.

Comment

Irv, I hope you're okay. I hope you'll forgive me...

The reason the boxes fell on you was because it was loaded with John Wayne brand toilet paper and it wasn't about to take crap from anyone!

I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  No assistance from any SCs. The boxes just fell off the pallet on their own.
                  Didnt you know, the boxes on the pallet jack can be moved by the customers minds. They see an employee walking by with a huge load of something, and they get mad because you're in their way/not stocking what they're looking for/or they're just asshats and they'll blink their eyes twice and something heavy/and or deadly will fall off the pallet and hit you. Usually it'll miss you and hit another customer, who will blame you because you're the one driving the pallet jack.

(thank you Salted Grump! I think I was aphasic last night or something...or it's CRS..."Cant Remember Sh...)

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post

The reason the boxes fell on you was because it was loaded with John Wayne brand toilet paper and it wasn't about to take crap from anyone!

Actually, I'd like the record to show it was Cottonelle, the stuff I normally use at home.

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post

I usually reserve the name John Wayne toilet paper for the "industrial strength" zero-ply stuff they use in retail bathrooms.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                        And because its so heavy, it doesn't have to move very quickly to cause serious injury or damage. A completely full pallet of water is about 2m^3 of water. Thats fucking HEAVY.
                        That's 2 tons of merchandise on one pallet, or roughly 1/3 more than my car weighs. I'd only be able to haul 10 of those skids with my truck (REAL truck, i.e. 18 wheels).
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth DerangedHermit View Post
                          I usually reserve the name John Wayne toilet paper for the "industrial strength" zero-ply stuff they use in retail bathrooms.
                          You mean the own-brand sandpaper?
                          "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

Quoth MannersMakethMan View Post
                            You mean the own-brand sandpaper?
                            No, the stuff that only bathrooms in businesses have because it's too horrible to sell to the public. It's almost see-through in a way.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                              Also known as a Skid Jack, Pallet Mover, and God Damnit, That's Not A Scooter!!!
                              and you know no one in our warehouse thought of using them as one until we saw the safety video that said not to-then we all eventually did get to(the boss left early many fridays and the assistant boss didn't care-heck he took a turn with us.....
                              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                              X