This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, SWELL. *headdesk*

This weekend, not one but TWO of my co-workers got engaged. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them, they're wonderful ladies. But now the questions will start again. The jokes.

The first person to ask when I'm getting engaged is getting a letter opener through their fucking HEART.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Re: Title...
    I was afraid your head was swelling from hitting the desk too much...
    "When're you going to get married?"
    "Not until the right catgirl comes along."
    Usually shuts them down cold.
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
      Re: Title...
      I was afraid your head was swelling from hitting the desk too much...
      "When're you going to get married?"
      "Not until the right catgirl comes along."
      Usually shuts them down cold.
      Heh. That's tempting!

One of my girl friends, who is as straight as I am, has also offered to come as my date to the next office party, just to screw with their minds.
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

Aww. I can sympathize. I used to get that all the time when I was with my ex....

Obviously, he never asked, and I spent a lot of time rather...upset... but as it turns out it was a good thing.

Not that I condone violence or anything, but I may have an extra beating stick you can borrow, so long as you promise to be rid of the evidence.... (j/k)
        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

sounds like a squeeze song
          The Pens 2009 Stanley Cup Champs

Listen to some Steely Dan Tonight its good for Ya

Il Son Patie

Comment

Been there before. A spate of relatives and friends have been engaged/married within the last 3 years, and my parents are showing signs of baby rabies. It's tapered off for now though...

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
              Heh. That's tempting!

One of my girl friends, who is as straight as I am, has also offered to come as my date to the next office party, just to screw with their minds.
              A friend of mine is accused of being gay on occasion, she'll turn down a date or something equally ridiculous and some moron will say...yer gay, ain't ya? To which she deadpans...I wish...the pickin's wouldn't be so slim then.

Comment

Quoth irateguy View Post
                sounds like a squeeze song
                What? Letter Opener Through the Fucking Heart?

....sounds like goth metal to me.
                I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I love this thread.

Joi, I would have the same feeling. I have yet to figure out why people feel the need to pester others with that sort of thing. Marriage is wonderful, I'm sure, but the pestering sure isn't.

With the inspiration of this thread, I shall go and think up smart retorts to the next person who asks me these sorts of questions.
                  1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                  -----
                  http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Heh. An unusual turn of events has taken place. The day after the second co-worker announced her engagement, ANOTHER co-worker announced that she's expecting her first child.

So now the engaged girls keep getting asked how soon they're planning to have kids, and everyone's leaving the single girl alone!

Comment

The first person to ask when I'm getting engaged is getting a letter opener through their fucking HEART.
                      I can sympathize. I get strange looks when I (quite proudly) tell people I have NEVER been on a date in my life. To be honest with you, most of that seems to be too much of a hassle (besides I tend to be very shy around people of the female persuasion, especially those I am attracted to). But I am constantly being told that I need to "get laid", or that I need to go "clubbing" and meet some one.

Sorry, I have never been a "social butterfly" and am not about to start.

All I can say is to try to take it in stride, or come up with a prticularly snarky come back so that the subject dies a quick, yet painful death.

Lotsa luck, (as I see you're currently having a bit)

SC
                      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Yaaaay! *hugs Bro* Nice to know I'm not the only happily dateless one.
                        What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Heh course you could get engaged and have people from back home go "oh, it's a guy!".

Ahem...yes, yes he is. How nice of you to notice and what lovely assumptions you've made.
                          Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Oh Jo, your posts always make my day!

We were at a birthday party/poker game last night and someone said to me "you beat your husband [at poker] that's awesome"

I responded with "hes not my husband" while laughing and everyone looked at me like I had grown two heads... then the comments started, everyone joking about how quickly I had corrected the guy about our status...

and HOW long have you two been dating? When is she getting a ring? Come on guys catch up, most of us have kids now!

Why don't people freaking myob!? I feel like telling them to go hump a sword and god forbid I ever mention that perhaps I don't WANT to get married, that automatically makes me crazy, a lesbian or just plain weird. I've even had K's mother cry and tell me that I'm "robbing her of a wedding"

hello people, have I ever even been proposed to!

*disclaimer, proposing to me does not automatically get a yes!
                            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                              Oh Jo, your posts always make my day!
                              LOL! Glad to be of service!

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                              Why don't people freaking myob!? I feel like telling them to go hump a sword and god forbid I ever mention that perhaps I don't WANT to get married, that automatically makes me crazy, a lesbian or just plain weird. I've even had K's mother cry and tell me that I'm "robbing her of a wedding"
                              Seriously! It's irritating, and makes me furious. My aunts have decided that since neither my sister nor I are married, then we are now in the same generation as the grandkids, and REFER TO US AS SUCH. I didn't pick up on it in time to make a defense at Christmas, but if they EVER try that around me again they are going to get a VERY solid refutation. I live 1500 miles away from them and only have to see them once a year tops, so I can say what I damn well want to about them now. Just because I'm female and unmarried does NOT make me a child; ironically, both of them went through nasty divorces, so I don't really see how they think themselves qualified to comment on anyone else's marital status.

And seriously, how the hell is someone else entitled to a wedding not their own?? Is it just me, or has today's society gone wedding crazy? I don't mean marriage crazy, I mean wedding crazy. Weddings costing tens of thousands of dollars, bridezillas, crazy relatives insisting that weddings happen...I don't think it used to be like that...

Comment

Working...
                              X