Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is everything here a piece of CRAP??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is everything here a piece of CRAP??

So we can put a man on the moon, but our store can't get a hold of some functioning card readers. Unbelievable. You will probably be able to tell what store I work at, and maybe you've encountered the same problems.

We used to have these very strange card readers where the guest would have to stick their card in the slot and the machine would suck it inside of it. This was a pain in the ass. First of all, as you might imagine, the cards got stuck in there from time to time. And people were always saying, "It's not going to get stuck in there, is it?" Well what am I supposed to say to that? Sometimes they'd even give a little shriek of surprise when it got sucked in. Almost EVERY single time a guest would put their card in backwards and the machine would make a nasty grinding noise and spit it back out. Then the guest would scratch their heads and say, "Um, I guess it doesn't like my card." Then I'd have to tell them to put it in the other way, even though there was an animated picture SHOWING them which way to put it in. Ugh. This got to be exhausting.

So then they replaced the card readers with normal ones that you just swipe the card through. These are an even BIGGER pain in the ass, believe it or not. Why? Because the damn things do not work. During a shift, I have to move from lane to lane numerous times because the card readers will stop working. You'll be on the lane for a while and all of the sudden someone will start banging on the screen. "It's not working!" "It won't take my PIN!' "It won't let me hit ok!" "It's not letting me sign!" Do you have any idea how f-cking ANNOYING this is? The supervisor will come over and try fixing it, but I usually end up having to move to a new lane while they reboot the computer. And typically, the card reader on THAT lane will stop working before long as well. Sometimes people will get fustrated when it stops working and they'll bang on the screen over and over like they're trying to get my attention. If they think it's so damn fustrating to deal with the card machine for two minutes, how would they like to have to put up with the %#@! thing for an entire SHIFT? How would they like people telling them over and over that it's not working? How would they like the machine breaking and having to move to a new lane when there's a long lane? It's maddening!

We've had these new card readers for several months now. Maybe almost a year. I've lost track. But these things are total and utter shit. Why can't corporate, or the manager, or whoever, see this and give us some new goddamn readers? Cashiers have to put up with enough bullshit without dealing with these things, which are nothing but garbage. Another pet peeve is that they added another prompt to the card reader. At the end, it'll ask the guest, "Do you want it all on the card?" Half of the people stand there with a confused look on their face and stare at the screen before repeating the question like someone obviously retarded asked them it. Look, I didn't make the questions, so stop looking at me like that. God, why did they feel the need to add that question in the first place? People are always accidently pressing "No" and then they have to swipe their cards again because it cancelled! I get so sick of telling people that they have to swipe their cards again, why they have to swipe their cards again, what the question means, blah blah blah.

There are times when I really want to go into a fit of rage and just grab the cord and hurl one of those pieces of shit at the ground and just slam it and slam it until it breaks into a million pieces.

And our computers are almost as big of pieces of garbage. I've figured out exactly what POS stands for. Piece of shit! For a long time we had a problem with freezing, and it may still be a problem, I just haven't seen it for awhile. Did the thing just freeze during a long 600 dollar transaction? Tough luck, time to tell the guest you have to unload everything from their cart, unbag the stuff, and scan it all again. Too bad.

Third pet peeve: the store is a piece of shit in an of itself. It's about six years old, and the roof has had SO many leaking problems. We would have isles covered in plastic sheets, buckets all over the floor, huge nasty stains all over the ceiling. It was just a mess. We recently had an issue with mold in the walls as well. And the store "wasn't built properly" so there isn't enough ventilation for the air conditioning. Those of us working up at the front lanes ROAST in the summer, and sometimes in the spring too. I literally come home with my entire body SOAKED in sweat. One of the other cashiers, an older lady, almost passed out. We get guest complaints. They even complain about how horrible the working conditions appear to be for us. It sucks. In the back of the store, it's actually pretty cool, not bad at all. But it makes things a lot worse when we're NOT ALLOWED WATER and they yell at us if we try to fan ourselves with things.

This place needs to get its shit together.
    Last edited by Despina83; 03-18-2009, 01:34 AM.

I feel your pain. We are dead set on putting a grenade in our printer because we figure that's the only way we will get a new one. It's an ancient machine(maybe used by the Greeks) and has managed to cost us tons of $$$ "fixing" it and the stupid thing will not work properly. I swear if I see another tech "fix" it and say we should be good, I'm gonna smack him just because I know I won't see him again to slap when it breaks in 2 hours.
    "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Chuckles and shakes his head, "Its kind of funny that they market themselves as up market from the competition, and yet their stores are no better than the competition, if that good."
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Well, let's see...

Roof leaks and stains on the ceiling tiles? We has 'em.

One of the leaks happened to be in the backroom, right over where we keep the wicker baskets. Water leaked into one of the seagrass baskets and was left to rot. God, was that raunchy.

Then there was the day almost 3 years ago where we had the closest Wisconsin will get to experiencing a hurricane--steady, driving rain whipped around by 50-60mph winds. You should have seen the water cascading through the roof in spots. I had to go up on a ladder and remove ceiling tiles so the water would have someplace to go. We had a big, industrial-sized garbage can we put under the leaks, and we'd have to empty it outside when it got full, and it didn't take long for it to fill up. Store manager called corporate and told them he'd have to close the store because of all the leaking water, and they finally sent somebody to fix the roof, and also attributed part of the problem to water being blown into the A/C units on the roof and trickling down.

We got new shopping carts about 5 years ago. Half of them are falling apart or needing repairs in some way. We've got a bunch of them sitting outside waiting to be repaired or thrown away.

One of the pallet jacks in the backroom is missing a wheel. We really ought to send it in, but then we'd be down to one pallet jack for the downstairs before long, because another one would have to be put upstairs and we'll lose another one to lawn and garden before long.

Our conveyor belt for the truck used to resemble a roller coaster. Boxes would hit a bump in the conveyor and fall right on the ground. We used to have to take parts from pieces of the conveyor to fix other pieces of it. Eventually we got a brand new conveyor belt, but it was like pulling teeth to get it.

Our cloth domestics bins used to have only two wheels apiece, so you couldn't control them if they were full of something and you were trying to move them. We got four new ones in last year, but again, they were hard to get.

One of our hand trucks for carryouts has a bad tire. I don't know if we'll ever get around to fixing it.

The floor tiles are real dingy and don't hold a shine when they're stripped and waxed. I wish they would've been replaced when the store was remodeled, but the store is old enough that there's asbestos underneath them, so that will probably never happen. Then again, perhaps I shouldn't complain about that--in some stores I've been in, the floor tiles are turning beige and brown from so much ground-in dirt, or for some other reason.

Our floor scrubber and our vacuum cleaner aren't working as well as they should be, but we've got the cleaning people to thank for that. One piece of equipment that is still in good shape is the floor buffer, because it hasn't been used in quite some time.

A big part of the problem nowadays is probably that because the economy is so bad, companies are holding back on capital spending, which might otherwise be used to fix POS systems, buildings and equipment. My company has stopped remodeling stores and isn't planning on building new ones, but they just opened a new store in Iowa to make 4 new stores in the past 2 years or so. Me, I say they shouldn't have been building new stores at all.
        Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 03-18-2009, 04:08 AM.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Last week we had 3 out of 5 of the hand trolleys die. They've all been 'repaired' after the wheel split away from the axle and last week the replacement one broke with the same problem.

And yet it was like getting blood from a stone to even ask about getting replacements.
          We have to carry around 70 kilos of bottled water on them. Of course they aint gonna last forever. That we've gotten them to last a year is a miracle.
          It's like trying to get laid by showing a girl your resume.
          Look, I was good at Biology and Woodwork.
          So I know where stuff is and I'm good with my hands.

- Dan, The Gruen Transfer

Comment

Call OSHA.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Damn...and I thought the computers were I work were bad Seriously, they're all approaching 8-9 years old, and are having problems. They'll randomly lose their network connections, freeze up, keyboards stop functioning, etc. constantly. Boss doesn't want to spend money on them, forcing me to patch them up the best I can.

I've already retired one of the worst, after it no longer powered up. I'm sure that the power supply is shot...but I'm not fixing it again. It's 10 years old, and even if I *do* replace the power supply, how do I know that the motherboard isn't going to fail next? Long run, it would actually cheaper to buy a new machine...

Then there's the now-gone server. This thing, for one reason or another...would overheat. Mainly, because the hard drives were always in use. We have a large database, which is constantly being accessed and updated. At the time, I couldn't install more fans in the case, since it would have been a big job--the case simply wasn't designed for more! As a result, I had to pop the side panels off. Yes, I know that's a bad idea, but it was my only option. Boss wasn't about to lay out the cash for *another* server, when we'd just bought this one!

The only good thing about being the IT guy, is that when stuff *does* fail, I get to rob it for parts. I don't think I've purchased anything computer-related in about 6 years! Plus, I get a nice little tax deduction if I fix things, and give them to charity. Full of win, I am
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

They finally fixed our forklift, after being broken for six, yes six weeks. Boy, did the manager put up a big stink just to fix it.
                Your neck is 7 and a half feet wide and 4 and a half feet tall. Your shoulders are also around 4 and a half feet wide. Your butt is 4 feet wide and your arms are around 3 feet long-gravekeeper

Comment

Just think of what good all of that Bonus money is going towards that your managers or Exec's are getting.

Comment

Quoth wildman View Post
                    Just think of what good all of that Bonus money is going towards that your managers or Exec's are getting.
                    Because they are so deserving and in dire need of yet another pile of money. Those poor poor execs working for all that money and still need more while us wage slaves are comfy with our pennies per hour. Yeah, my heart really breaks.
                    "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Quoth BethB View Post
                      I feel your pain. We are dead set on putting a grenade in our printer because we figure that's the only way we will get a new one..
                      I so now need a grenade not only for our printer but the fax machine... I'm pretty sure it's the model from Office Space...
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        I so now need a grenade not only for our printer but the fax machine...
                        Don't waste a good grenade. A 40-pound fence maul (aka Big Fucking Hammer, or BFH) works much better. There's nothing like beating the living shit out of a printer with a BFH. Trust me on this Seriously though, not only do you get a workout with each swing, but you prolong the device's pain and torture as long as possible. Plus, with a grenade, it tends to throw debris all over the place. The hammer produces more localized destruction, and there's no danger of it exploding in your face!
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I've threatened to throw our scan guns and belt printers on the nearby freeway so they'll get run over by a semi. I've also been tempted to accidentally drop them in the trash compactor. Darn things break all the time which makes it really hard to do my job.
                          Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Working...
                          X