Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migraines suck ass. I've gotten them at work--they usually hit when the room starts to spin. Imitrex is OK, but I don't take the ibuprofen with it like I'm supposed to. Why? Well, instant I already feel like shit, why make it worse? The only thing that seems to lessen the pain is caffeine...usually why I always have Mountain Dew in my briefcase. Also, hot showers help--the steam helps open your sinuses. Another thing, is that if I feel one coming on at home...I do the shower, then take a nap in a dark room.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I have Imitrex, but Excedrin with the caffeine in it is often enough to halt the advance of the pain. Mine have gotten to the point where the aura seems to start with the pain. I also have muscle relaxants that I normally don't take because they make me sleepy, but if the pain is bad enough I will take 1/2 to 1 pill along with an Imitrex. My migraines are atypical, as they occur on both sides of my head at the same time, but they occasionally shift and occur in my face. They're apparently due to the problems I'm having with my neck and back. I was on Topamax for a while because the migraines became chronic, but they made me very forgetful; I didn't feel wasted or tired, but I couldn't remember words or appointments or even my kids' names sometimes. A later neurologist told me they nicknamed it Dopamax.

Anyway, my worst migraine was my first one. I was at work and I developed a headache. It got worse and worse. Nothing worked. I popped Excedrin, half a muscle relaxant, massaged my neck, tried lying down during lunch, everything I could think of. About 2:00 o'clock I told everyone I had to go home. I had to drive home on the California freeways; I still don't know how I made it; I was scared the whole time, praying to whomever would listen. I went to my GP the next day. He gave me Vicodin and referred me to a neurologist, who couldn't see me for two weeks. I went home on a Monday afternoon and didn't return to work until the following Tuesday. The pain didn't stop until Friday. When the pain did ease off, my muscles and body were sore and aching, and I was crashing from being unable to keep anything down other than some soda and a few crackers. I had the shakes for days.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I'm reading this and being very very grateful that I don't get migraines. My problem is insomnia lately - at least I'm not in pain, but no sleep = grumpy 411guy = less awesome service, though I think I'm still good enough.
        Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

I heard that some people with migraines get one cold hand before a migraine starts and if you warm up that hand it cen prevent the migraine. It hasn't worked with me though.
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I've tried Imitrex myself, but no dice. Only thing that works for me is Excedrin migraine, blocking out the light, and then forcing down as much mountain dew as I can. (While I do feel sick to my stomach, I hardly ever puke, so I am lucky here)
            "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

I always have migraines. I've never had a headache before. I have all ideas that, if I did have one, I'd never know it. I'm normally in constant pain, it just depends on how much pain I'm in compared to an hour ago.

I keep a bottle of Excedrin in my purse, my car and on my computer desk. Nearly every room in the house (the kitchen, the living room, the bathroom and my bedroom) has at least ONE bottle of 300 Count Excedrin.

Caffeine pills are kept in the bathroom and the console between the driver and passenger seat.

Because I am hypoglycemic, a small box of cereal is kept in my car when I'm traveling. This also makes it easier to digest the pills faster.

I am told by my Significant Other that I really should get an MRT/CAT Scan before leaving Houston (I'm planning on moving) but I never have the money for it. I'd rather suffer and spend the extra money on pain killers.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                I am told by my Significant Other that I really should get an MRT/CAT Scan before leaving Houston
                CAT scan probably won't show jack. I've got daily headaches, pretty much, too, and I've had a complete physical done, nothing showed up (though that was many years ago now) and a CT scan (not so long ago) and no one found anything.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Thanks Broom, now I can use that as an excuse not to spend the money to get one. Besides, that's a lot of money that I just don't want to spend, ya know?
                  Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I used to get a lot of rather severe headaches. Then I went to a chiropractor and found out my spine is horribly misshapen from some car accidents i've been in. If I keep up on my excercises I don't have any headaches at all.
                    "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

In my (vast) experience, prevention is the key. I'm an Imitrex person, myself, but things have been better since I really started focusing in on my triggers and making sure I don't set them off. Unfortunately, the only reliable way to handle that is trial and error. And triggers are different for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X