This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rearview mirror!

Ok, so my co-worker, K, LOVES to hover. He'll come in almost silently, sneak up behind people and ask questions, and if the person he wants isn't available, he'll hang around forever waiting. He especially likes to hover behind me, either pestering me or waiting to talk to my boss over her cubicle wall. He is TOTALLY oblivious to normal cues that the conversation is over: even walking away doesn't work, as he will FOLLOW you and keep rambling on.

It doesn't bug me too much when he hovers, because I have my headphones and can just ignore him. But I want to be careful about what sites I pull up when he's standing right behind me. Problem: I can't see behind me without being fairly obvious that I'm checking to see if someone is there.

Today, a coworker was cutting some shapes out of very shiny metallic cardboard, and offered the scraps to the office. I snagged one, and taped it on my wall--I can now see the entire area over my right shoulder!

GhettoMirror, ftw!
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

What if he comes to your left shoulder?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      What if he comes to your left shoulder?
      If he does, he's a teleporter, since most of that space is taken up by a giant bookshelf that I didn't want in the first place but they made me take...
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I see. Just allowing for all the possibilities.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

At a previous firm, several people who liked surfing the net put the small, round, bicycle-type mirrors on the upper corner of their monitors. I thought that made it even more obvious.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Reminds me that I once almost got in shit (was verbally warned) about something I consider insignificant.

I had my iPod Touch in slideshow mode, with pretty pictures of pretty ladies, nothing NSFW of course. I thought that didn't violate the 'no distractions' policy, since it's just a picture next to the screen (some of the people with kids bring framed pics and that's OK), but a different picture every time you look at it. Supervisor was walking around and asks me what it is (in that "I know what it is I just want you to say it so I can remind you of the policy" tone), and says if he sees it again it's his till the end of my shift. I was too pissed to answer, just turned the thing off and shoved it in my pocket.

Was he a dick or did I actually cross the line?
            Last edited by taurinejunkie; 03-19-2009, 11:43 PM. Reason: typo
            Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
              At a previous firm, several people who liked surfing the net put the small, round, bicycle-type mirrors on the upper corner of their monitors. I thought that made it even more obvious.
              I tend to have a very violent reaction to anyone coming up behind me without any warning. I'd just have to say that the mirror is for the safety of others.
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth 411guy View Post
                Reminds me that I once almost got in shit (was verbally warned) about something I consider insignificant.

I had my iPod Touch in slideshow mode, with pretty pictures of pretty ladies, nothing NSFW of course. I thought that didn't violate the 'no distractions' policy, since it's just a picture next to the screen (some of the people with kids bring framed pics and that's OK), but a different picture every time you look at it. Supervisor was walking around and asks me what it is (in that "I know what it is I just want you to say it so I can remind you of the policy" tone), and says if he sees it again it's his till the end of my shift. I was too pissed to answer, just turned the thing off and shoved it in my pocket.

He's a dick, and if he mentions it again remind him that he will need to also write up everyone else with "distractions" at their desk.

Comment

you should get one of these:

(click to go to website, Thinkgeek.com)
                  I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth 411guy View Post
                    Quoth Bosch View Post
                    He's a dick, and if he mentions it again remind him that he will need to also write up everyone else with "distractions" at their desk.
                    I have to disagree. I think he could have handled it better, but an iPod is fundementally different from having pictures at your desk, even one of those digital picture frames. An iPod is a multi-function device. Especially the touch. For all he knows, when he's not around, you grab it and play games, or run video, rather than just a slideshow. That makes it a potential distraction, which as you said, is against policy. Even if you promise to only use it as a picture display, as a manager, he has to consider the implications. If he lets you, then he'd have to let someone else do that, or be accused of favourtism, or breaking policy. And then what if someone wants to pass off a PSP as a similar device? They can be used in such a fashion. Best to just say no at the start, and avoid the mess.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                    X