Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 days at Dollar Tree. Applied there to fulfill my unemployment obligations...after my interview at Goodwill.

I worked there long enough to take and pass my drug test for GW, then left.

Next shortest--2 weeks at K-Mart. I was working layaway and they never got around to telling me about important stuff.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
      On the flip side, my longest was Carls Jr. for 18 month, and IHG for 14 months
      Slacker. 18 months? My first job, I was at for 3.5 years. My part-time job I have now, it's been... um... 2 years? Yes. Two years, I believe.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

8 months at the game store. The owner is nice to customers, but a jerk to anyone who actually pushes to get anything done.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I'm still at my first job and it's been two years. It sounds like I should be getting a new job, but nothing has come up and since I have college during the week, I want to work only weekends, which I currently do because I know I won't be able to do work and school in the same day. Impossible and too tiring for me.

However I believe my boyfriend's friend worked in a Dunkin' Donuts for a day and then he quit.

Comment

The shortest time I ever spent on one job was one day. It was a telephone fundraising job I got through a temporary agency. I guess I wasn't very good, because the agency called me that night and said the company called and they didn't want me back.
            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
              The shortest time I ever spent on one job was one day. It was a telephone fundraising job I got through a temporary agency. I guess I wasn't very good, because the agency called me that night and said the company called and they didn't want me back.
              The same thing happened to me but it was a real estate office. I worked one day and when I got home there was a message on my answering machine from the temp office telling me I didn't need to go back.

No great loss...the people who worked there were mean anyway.

Another short job I had was as a receptionist in a doctor's office. The front of my desk was shoved up against a wall and there were partitions on each side of my desk. I sat there in that 3' x 3' stall, starring at that wall, anwering phones non-stop for 8 hours a day. I felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin. It was horrid!

After 5 weeks I'd had enough. I left for lunch one day and never went back.

To this day I hate the sound of ringing phones and let my answering machine do the job it was created to do! I only pick up if it's someone I want to speak to.

Phones are evil!!!
              Retail Haiku:
              Depression sets in.
              The hellhole is calling me ~
              I don't want to go.

Comment

I made it through about 6 hours when I got a job as a telemarketer. We were attempting to sell cable channels, which wouldn't be too bad, right? Well, we were calling South Carolina. During a hurricane, a really terrible one, though I cannot remember the name. (Sorry.) After the twentieth person told me they were busy evacuating and didn't care about the g-d Disney channel, I just left. Never got paid, didn't care. It was horrible.
                "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

6 hours on a job obtained through a temp agency.

I'd been told it was "light industrial work," "assembling packets for schools" or somesuch. The temp agency told me to be there at 11:30am Monday morning for a week-long position (shift went until 5:30 or so).

I get a call at 8:30am Monday morning from the temp agency. Apparently the guy who owned the factory where the job was was wondering why I wasn't at work yet. I explained I'd been told the job started at 11:30, and was told, "Oh, it was supposed to start at 8. How soon can you get there?" I replied, "11:30, like we agreed. Maybe 11."

I arrived a little before 11 to find I was the first one there. I was set to work swapping paper labels out of mailbags. About half an hour later, one other temp employee showed up and was given a similar job. There was nowhere to sit, so I, about two months pregnant, was left standing on a hard cement floor bending over mailbags so I could wrench stuck paper labels out of plastic holders and slide new ones in. When I finished, I asked if I could go eat something, because I tend to get light-headed and nauseous if I go more than two hours between eating something when I'm pregnant. I got a 15-minute lunch break.

When I got back from my break, the guy who owned the factory had finally decided to actually show us the "packets" we would be assembling. Another factory employee showed up as well, and we set to work on an assembly line, running homeschool supply catalogues through a printer that loved to jam every fifth booklet, trying to get addresses printed. Then we had to stack them and slap three large rubber bands over them before dumping them into the mailbags. Initially, it doesn't sound too difficult. Except there was still nowhere to sit, nothing between our feet and the hard cement floor, and the dry air and rough paper and rubber bands did a huge number on our hands. Also, the owner seemed to think that since he didn't need any sort of break while we worked, neither did anyone else. From about 1pm to 5:30pm, we worked that assembly line, and when I left at 5:30, there was no inclination that the owner would be slowing down to let anyone take a break. If I hadn't asked for a lunch break, I wouldn't have had anything to eat since that morning.

And I actually had to tell the owner that it was 5:30, and yes, I was supposed to end at that time and could I leave now? He seemed surprised (and all too ready to keep me there even longer). I drove home with sore, cracked hands that were threatening to bleed and a very empty stomach (not fun for the pregnant lady). As soon as I got home, I called the temp agency and informed them that I wouldn't be returning the next day. I swear, my worst shift at Walmart was far better than that day, in my book.

Oh, and did I mention that there was a two-year-old wandering unsupervised around the factory floor, among all the stacked pallets of heavy books and bags and the like and the machinery with "Don't you dare stick your hands in here or you'll lose them!" signs all over them? Said two-year-old was the owner's son. His mom was there, chatting it up with the owner and some other person who'd randomly showed up for conversation while the regular employee, the other temp and I all worked.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
                    I had been unemployed for 10 months when this happened. had very very few interviews in my field up to that point and I was getting desperate for a job. they were openning up a new Target store in the Chicago area. I got "hired" and went to the orientation meeting (about 2 hours). they told us they would contact us and let us know when the actual traing woudl start. 2 days later I received a callback from one of my last interviews (about 6 weeks prior) and they wanted to hire me. lets see $7 per hour at Target vs. $29per hour at other place.

the next one was thru a temp agency. got assigned (the ONLY assignment I ever got from the place) to a place that did Dish Network installations. lasted there for 2 days and got a call just as I was getting home telling me no more assignment.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

My shortest job was working for an answering service for 2 or 3 weeks. Most of it was taking pledges from various PBS stations, as it was pledge season. Some dingbat called, got me, and tried to tell me that I shouldn't be asking people for money. There were better jobs out there, blah dee blah blah. Like I was doing something dishonorable. Um, you called me.

That wasn't the problem, though. It was their ignorance of my availability. I don't know how "can't work this day" or "can't stay past X time" means "open availability", but it sure looked that way to them. They also managed to give us almost no info, and yet somehow we were supposed to act like we were from whatever company. HAHAHA O RLY?

No. I have my standards.

I called and quit. Kept my then current job, which paid me quite a bit less per hour but didn't have idiots running the show. Stayed there about a total of 2.5 years.
                      Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 03-22-2009, 11:46 AM. Reason: emoticon! power! yay!
                      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                      -----
                      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

An agency sent me to a factory. I was supposed to be there for a week, but midway through the first day, they decided they didn't need me, so I was sent home.
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Lets see, mine was a 12 hour shift. It was for CSC Security. The job was fun and easy. But I got tired of being chewed out for someone not being at their post. Hell, it is not my fault, if that person has to go to the restroom and my manager said it was ok. And that I would have to keep an eye out on his station. The second time I got chewed out, I went off on that guy. After finally getting home, I was sick after that. I was sick for three weeks, straight.
                          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Half Hour

I was assigned to a temp assignment. Was there half hour and told to go home. Found out it was because the secretary called for a temp to help herr do a project but the boss's younger sister was on spring break and came in to help out.

Comment

The shortest time ever at a job was 4 months, and was the only one I was ever fired from. There were many things that became part of that clusterfuck. One of the managers and I didn't get along, we had a work study program with people from all over the world and they didn't speak English or understand our currancy, yet were put on registers to train, and I was told to train a few of them on my register, also they were training high school kids to be in charge of counting down the registers before and after everyone shifts.

So in the span of 3 weeks of the manager and I haveing a big blow out, the Russian students coming to our store, and the high school being trained enough to go on her own with the registers, my register would come up short time and time again, so I got let go.

Comment

Two weeks, setting up a $ General store. Everything from unloading the semis to setting up the fixtures and all of the planogram displays for opening to dealing with the hick "managers" who sat on their bums while watching the rest of us nearly pass out from heat and exhaustion. The "good" workers had the option to be hired on to work there when the store opened - I didn't even show up the day they were letting us know who made the cut even though I know I would have been top of that list. Horrid. I block it out most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X