Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First dealings with the police. (long)

Well, I wasn't sure where this went, as it involves a thief, the thief's foster mother and didnt' actually involve any customers...

Well, here's the story anyway.

A few nights ago, went in to a closing shift with just myself and one other person on the front end... complications with the schedule, yay.

About half an hour after the person I relieved left, I get a call for a manager (yay me).

I end up talking to a woman who says that she believes her foster son was in there between 4pm and 6pm that day stealing things and can we please find him on the security cameras so he can go back to juvenile jail? He'd been stealing from other places but the latest one wouldn't press charges due to it being below a certain amount. (Shortened version) She gave me a description of what he was wearing, her phone number and name and I tell her I'll get right on it and call her back when I have something conclusive.

So I spend the next 2-3 hours bouncing back and forth between the stifling hot office scanning our crappy, too-dark cameras and the front end where people constantly needed coupons for unplayable movies or the one person there needed change, etc.

So, I never see the guy come in the store but I did catch sight of him due to his (I R Smrt) NEON clothing he's wearing, per foster mother's description. Never wear neon if you're breaking laws, ugh.

I pinpoint where he picks up merchandise, fidgets around for a while, hovers around the front (entrance only) door for five minutes and catches the door as someone walks in and leaves.

So then I call my store manager, let her know, and she says good, we've been after him for a while now. Call the police.

Yay!... I call the police, then call his foster mother back, and she says he's at home so the police are more than welcome to come pick him up, she's at <address>. Woo!

Police come down, officer watches the camera as I point out the key highlights of the idiot's fun. He goes and has a talk with his boss and comes back, saying they'll go talk with the foster mother and pick him up and the merchandise, and I'd have to identify as ours, etc.

Half an hour later he comes back with some stuff, about half I identified as ours due to in-stock not matching what's on-shelf. Omitting all the boring details of filling out reports and such, and the other details that I probably shouldn't due to impending trial for him, I spent all but about 2 hours of my shift dealing with this. Pretty much on my own.

Let me just say, it was definitely a learning experience.
    Confirmed altoholic.

That's something to put on a resume: "experience getting shoplifters arrested".

Also: that is one tough foster mom! Although I can't blame her; I wouldn't want a thief in my house, either.
    EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS CANCER AND MADNESS. (Gravekeeper)
    ~-~
    Also, I have been told that I am sarcastic. I don’t know where anyone would get such an impression.(Gravekeeper again)

Comment

One would hope that foster parents go into that kind of situation with their eyes open. I believe they are at least supposed to be told if their prospective new charge has any special problems to be aware of - AFAIK, some fosterers actually volunteer for that kind of work.

Comment

Working...
      X