Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expecting a depressing day at work tomorrow..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expecting a depressing day at work tomorrow..

I need to be in the office all day tomorrow. My supervisor and myself have been fielding calls all week from managers (and higher) across the country asking if people leaving the company tomorrow to drop off their assets (laptops, monitors, laptop bags, power supplies, keyboards, mice, etc..).

This includes the tech I've worked with over the past year and a half and learned a lot from

Its going to be a busy day - I had 4 managers call me today and I know at least 20 people are dropping off equipment, and I expect that number to get higher since many won't call ahead.

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely thankful that I still have a job but tomorrow, roughly 8,000 people will no longer work for my company. An estimated 60-75 of my clients are included in them, roughly 20% of my old client count (under 10% with the new count as of next week).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

I strongly suspect that those of your clients that you have a good regard for will do fine Draggar - you seem to be a good judge of people and if you like them, they are probably on the ball. Beam some positive vibes at 'em as they do their drop offs. And as an up side for you - your contact net is spreading out a lot wider. Hope all goes smoothly.

Comment

I'm so sorry you're going to have to go through that tomorrow.

We've had to let go of some really great people, too, and it really hurts to say good-bye. Especially when they're dropping off the stuff they've become attached to.

Hopefully, you'll be able to take some breaks and take a deep breath.

Sending *hugs and good thoughts*.
      No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        I strongly suspect that those of your clients that you have a good regard for will do fine Draggar - you seem to be a good judge of people and if you like them, they are probably on the ball. Beam some positive vibes at 'em as they do their drop offs. And as an up side for you - your contact net is spreading out a lot wider. Hope all goes smoothly.
        The tech I work with sent out a goodbye email and said he was going to spend at least the weekend fishing to clear his mind and to relax.

I told him to catch a big tuna, marlin, maco, or swordfish and have a huge BBQ that evening.

I've also noticed that on LinkedIn I'm seeing TONS of network connections and I'm getting tons of recommendation requests - maybe in between working on websites this weekend I'll write up a few.
        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I'm sorry, draggar. We had some layoffs a few weeks ago in this office, but I hear there are a lot going on today on some larger offices of ours. Is there any day of the week left that hasn't been referred to as black with the layoffs and closings?
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

It was tough and very bitter-sweet. You could tell just in the body lanugage that a lot of them were unhappy but some of them were looking forward to the "vacation" (they got a good severance package - 8 weeks plus 2 weeks for every year they've been with the company).

I only took in 4 laptops, 2 desktops, and 5 monitors which means a lot will come in next week.

On a positive side - I was helping out the national & government accounts sales team team with their computers and an hour later one came to my door asking if I'd like some tickets to the Panther's game next week. Sure! Why not, my wife and I like hockey and have been meaning to go to a game.

What I didn't know is that they are suite tickets - the BAC gave the sames team a set of tickets (they're one of our clients) and they're all going and had some extra tickets so they offered them to me. Very cool. No fod but still, comfy chairs, close to the actions, right behind the Panther's goal. I can't complain (and I won't!!).
            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
            X