This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best job in the world ... probably

A few weeks ago the GM has decided that <the cinema> now has to follow company policy and have a run through of every new release film.

So one of the part-time projectionists has to do that. There are three: one works full-time elsewhere, one-lives 80 miles away, and me.

So I get to watch every single film.

Which seems like a cushy number. The first week I watch Watchmen and Young Victoria. Then there was Marley & Me. Then I have a busy week with Gamorra, Paul Blart: Mall Cop, Lesbian Vampire Killers and Duplicity; none of which I particularly enjoyed, but I was getting paid to watch them.

Unfortunately my day often goes something like this: 8am get up and go to work, 9am watch film, 11.30 go home, 6pm go to work, 11.45 go home.

This week we have: Knowing, The Damned United, Haunting in Connecticut, previews of Monsters vs Aliens (both in 2d and 3D) and the opera Carmen. 6 films. So I am in on Wednesday to watch Knowing, Thursady I am in before 8 to watch two more. This morning I am supposed to watch Monsters vs Aliens but the neither the 2d print nor the 3d digital key had arrived. So I am going to be watching 3d Monsters vs Aliens at 8am tomorrow (Saturday) and 2d MvsA won't get watched. And then Carmen on Monday before it is showed Monday night.

Next week it starts again with two prints of The Boat That Rocked which starts on Wednesday (and I may have to watch them both).

I love watching films. And I love getting paid to watch them, on my own in a big screen. But it starting to drive me nuts.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

In a way it sounds cool, but I agree that a lot of those movies would bore me to tears. However, "Haunting in Connecticut" freaks me out, having seen the trailer a few weeks ago. I don't think I'd be able to sit through it.

And a regular split shift? That sucks.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Are you allowed to have popcorn & soda while watching movies?

Comment

The kiosk isn't usually open when I start watching a movie at 9am-ish, beciuase it is before we open. So I usually take in a cuppa.

Comment

I am *Slightly* jealous that you get to watch Carmen...NONE of my friends/family members are into opera and therefore none will go with me when it comes out in our own theater.

Comment

Go on your own. Seriously, if there is something you want to do and no-one else is available or wants to go, go by yourself.

I used to go to the cinema on my own a lot, because my hours meant I worked when my friends were off and vice versa or simply because I wanted to see something they didn't. Working on the box office, I see people who come by themselves, it isn't uncommon.
            Last edited by cinema guy; 03-29-2009, 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

This is true. And I'll probably do just that. It's just not as much fun seeing something like that by yourself.

Comment

It's best if I go to opera on my own. I have a weird thing that happens whenever a soprano does an aria: I start crying. Not sobbing, but tears just start pouring down my cheeks. I have to carry lots of tissue and wear waterproof makeup. It's been happening since my first opera, so it's some kind of weird physical response.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                  It's been happening since my first opera, so it's some kind of weird physical response.
                  I get that way with a few random things, worse when I'm pregnant. I don't know what triggers it, but something will just hit that "misty-eyed" button and cause me to tear up, and it'll take a bit for me to calm back down. One of these days I'll get an idea of the actual triggers.

I don't know if I'd like that job. Sure, some of those would be neat, but others (Haunting in Connecticut, for one) would have me whimpering for the nearest teddy bear (though I'd probably still enjoy it), and most of the R-rated movies I would rather leave on my Not Seen list. Some of the not R-rated ones too.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

You just gotta tell yourself it could be at lot worse. Think how awesome your job will be when summer blockbuster season revs up.
                    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                      You just gotta tell yourself it could be at lot worse. Think how awesome your job will be when summer blockbuster season revs up.
                      Oh yeah. Except the cinema opens at 10, so I'll be in at 7am watching films.

Fortunately I have Harry Potter week off. Otherwise I'll be starting at midnight and going through the night trying to get 4 or 5 prints watched.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                        It's best if I go to opera on my own. I have a weird thing that happens whenever a soprano does an aria: I start crying. Not sobbing, but tears just start pouring down my cheeks. I have to carry lots of tissue and wear waterproof makeup. It's been happening since my first opera, so it's some kind of weird physical response.

I do that too. Especially to Andrea Chiener "La mamma morta" sung by Maria Callas. That soaring note at the end...gets me crying every time I listen to it. I have never seen an opera live, and I would absolutely love to.

Comment

Working...
                        X