This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm starting to lose it...

Between changes to our site, clients calling with the same (and multiples of) issue and general bearing down from higher ups, my temper has been fraying at work. I'm starting to snap at callers, pushing back at managers (just short of insubordination), and mouthing off in general (cussing in a call center is very bad). What's worse, I'm getting nauseous more and more, especially after coming home. My stomach feels like it's heating up, and sometimes I feel like I have heartburn when I haven't eaten anything. When I can finally sleep, I usually wake up 4 hours later and can't go back to sleep. Most recently, I've been getting...thoughts. Those cowardly, ultimate selfish act thoughts I was certain I buried years ago. I'm getting worried.

I'm taking this Friday off. I think I really need it.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Take care of yourself! No job is worth burning out your mental health.

Be proud of yourself for recognizing the warning signs and deciding to do something about them! That is a HUGE step.

May I suggest a yoga class on your day off, or whenever you can fit one in? I find that the gentle pace of a yoga class is great for getting me focused back into the "now"; the focus on breath gets me out of a constricted, panicky breathingn pattern; and the stretches and poses are challenging enough to get some endorphins going.

Or, if the weather is nice enough where you are, borrow a dog and take it for a walk

Comment

I'm sorry.

I know those feelings and symptoms well myself, from years of working in call centers. I used to wake up every morning and struggle to even get out of bed, and lay there and just pray that I would get hit by a car or something and not have to go in.

I was Queen of the Mute Button...expert at hitting it quickly and unleashing a torrent of swearing, then turning it off. Luckily it never failed me, except for one time when I was just talking to a supervisor about an account, nothing bad.

Basically I just dealt with it by looking for other jobs as much as possible (wasn't always possible due to family illnesses and whatnot), taking vacation as soon as it accrued, getting FMLA for stress-related issues and using it as needed for mental health days, and drinking a lot (I ah, don't recommend that part).

Comment

Take a vacation, look around for other jobs and take some time for yourself. I know the feeling, I've been working in call centers for 6 years (and still am...unfortunately). Keep your head up, be strong and I can't emphasize enough to do something for yourself and that no job is worth risking your health at all.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I agree with the look for another job suggestion. Even if you're not really going to quit, it makes you feel better when you see there are lots of other options for you.
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Nurian, how are you doing today?

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I'm feeling better now, but my wife is insisting on me seeing my doctor. I can't fault her logic, so when I get the money, I'll set an appointment. I finally got some good sleep and I got some good food (I'm an old soldier. I still march on my stomach ).

Things are looking better. Again, thanks, everyone
              I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Food and sleep are important... we ALL march on our stomachs really... Glad things are looking up

Comment

Working...
                X