• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Work

What do you think of as "hard work"?
    Physically exhausting manual labor.
    41.94%
    Mentally challenging, high stress office work.
    6.45%
    Anything where the hours are extremely long and frequent.
    22.58%
    Anything you don't like doing.
    29.03%

Where's the "all of the above" option?

I ask because I cycle through all of them.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Certainly the first three. The fourth option just makes any work worse.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

The stress is what gets me, trying to do my job while being surrounded by cun- I mean, customers
        If for any reason you're not satisfied with our service, I hate you.

Comment

Really, it's difficult to choose just one. Physically exhausting labor can wreak havoc on your body. High stress office work can do the same to your mind and long hours will do both.

One option I didn't see is where the job has you doing the same task over and over and over and over and over and over and over... I hate jobs like that. You get in a rut, your brain feels atrophied and you can end up getting a repetetive motion injury (which I can attest are quite painful).
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I think that goes under the physically stressful option.

Comment

Unless we're talking an Uber-serious superheavy workload, physical beats mental any day of the week. I've had tastes of both. At the very least mental overwork has little possibility of putting you shrieking on the ground when your back suddenly spazzes out. (it healed, PTL, but scare city)

Comment

All of the above!

Comment

you know it's hard work when the highlight of your day(s) is sleeping

Comment

Quoth Dark-Star View Post
                    At the very least mental overwork has little possibility of putting you shrieking on the ground [...]
                    You've never dealt with my users.

I'd say hard work for me is being so busy that you can't take a mental break. A full day of uninterrupted concentration is rough on a person, mentally or physically.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Well, I've just had a good day off. Twelve hours of overtime. Eight of them in the warehouse.

Heh.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth artifical sweetner View Post
                        *snores* ...........er...bah.......what?! *wakes up* Um how about when sleep is the only thing you do when you're home? I've had weeks like that.....those were fun times....

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                        Well, I've just had a good day off. Twelve hours of overtime. Eight of them in the warehouse.

Heh.

Rapscallion
                        Those are the best days off!!!!

Well at least they are paycheck wise if you're paid by the hour. For you salary people. I'm sorry, I really am.

Comment

Quoth artifical sweetner View Post
                          Not if you spend all your dream time doing your job.

That's how I knew it was time to quit at Little America (a truckstop in Wyoming)... I dreamed all night I was jumping trucks.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                          X