This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOOOOOO!!! STOOOOOOOOPP!!

I'm not sure where to put this thread, this seems like the most appropriate place.

So, it's a fairly busy shift. The schools have just finished for the Easter holidays, so unfortunately the pub has had a lot of families coming in who are under the mistaken belief that we are daycare. So it has been a busy weekend. I am in the middle of rushing around, clearing tables and trying to serve at the same time, when I notice a group of guys at the end of the bar. I recognise them right away. They are staff from the pub across the street. One of them is an old friend of mine, and another is the boyfriend of a member of our staff.

RBE = Rival Bar Employee

RBE: Hi there, we're here for the kegs...
    Me: Kegs??
    RBE: Yeah, the beer kegs you are lending us.
    Me: I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about this...
    RBE: Oh, I'd better fill you in. Basically, ummmm....our pub has run out of beer and cider! So last night, we came over and had a talk with <my boss> and she's agreed to lend us a couple of kegs until we get our next delivery. Then we can give them back to you.

I was busy, and a bit frazzled, so I didn't know what to do.

Me: So who was it from your place who came over?
    RBE: <manager>. She spoke to <my boss> and organised it all.

Everything in their story made sense. They mentioned my boss by name, and a member of my staff also backed me up that they had been over the night before.

Me: Do you want to follow me into the cellar?

We went to the cellar. RBE went through a list of beers that we both stocked, and what they needed.

RBE: So we can just take a keg of each right?
    Me: Umm, yeah, if you cleared it with <my boss> I'm sure it'll be OK.

Something about this just didn't sit right. I haven't been at the pub very long, but I feel like I know my boss well enough to know that she is not the kind of business woman who would help out our biggest rival in such a way. I called her.

Me: I've got some staff from <rival pub> here saying they're here to collect some kegs...
    Boss: What?!?! No!!! They're not getting any of our kegs!
    Me: They said they were over last night and this was all organised.
    Boss: Yes, they were over last night. They asked for beer, and I said maybe. I told them it depended on how much beer we had left over from Saturday night. I thought that was nicer than telling them to fuck off.
    Me: So you weren't going to give them beer?
    Boss: One of their managers was supposed to ring me this morning to ask. I was going to tell them no
    Me: Well, they're here now for beer! They told me it was all OK with you!
    Boss: Liars! DO NOT let them leave the building with our beer!

About a second later, I hear the sound of our exterior cellar door opening, followed by the sound of a trolley.

Me: I'm going to have to call you back.
    Boss: What?!?!?!

I run into the cellar, and the rival staff are wheeling out kegs! They had already reached the other side of the street.

Imagine a dramatic slow motion run.

Me: NOOOOOOOO!!! STOOOOOOOPPPP!! BRIIIIINNNG BAAAACCCKKK OUUUURRR BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRR!!

They stopped.

Me: I'm sorry, but we just can't spare any! We're expecting a busy day, and our next delivery isn't until Thursday!

Lies. Sunday nights are unbelieveably quiet, and our next delivery was on Monday.

RBE: Oh...OK...we thought it was all sorted...no problem.

They wheeled the beer back.

Me: So who told you this was all organised?
    RBE: <manager> from last night. She left a note saying all we had to do was come over here and get it. We've been trying to ring her all day about this, but we keep getting the answering machine.

I rung back Boss. She has basically declared war on the bar across the street.

It was a slight Brain Burp on my part. Like I said, I was busy, so my mind was set on getting them out of the way. Once I thought about it, I realised how stupid I had been to let them get that far. I mean, why would we help them out? They have no beer! That means more customers for us!

God, I daren't imagine what my boss had done to me if I had let them away with it.

You might not have that job anymore. I was expecting this to be some sort of elaborate prank but the other bar workers didn't fall through.

I'm glad you got the booze back, but it was kinda... unstatisfying from a misery eaters' POV.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      You might not have that job anymore. I was expecting this to be some sort of elaborate prank but the other bar workers didn't fall through.

I'm glad you got the booze back, but it was kinda... unstatisfying from a misery eaters' POV.
      She called back later laughing about it, so at least I know I'm not in trouble for almost giving away hundreds of pounds worth of beer!

I'm meant to be meeting some friends in the rival bar tonight. I daren't show my face!

Comment

Sooo, whatya bet the rival's workers will be showing up at your pub, wanting nothing more than a pint of the good 'ol frothy stuff? After a long shift of telling customers you're out of brew, I'd be going next door for a pint myself
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I went for drinks last night and one of the staff I chased was there. Boy it was awkward. He told me he had the most horrible shift ever and endless complaints.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
            He told me he had the most horrible shift ever and endless complaints.
            Sucks to be him.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
              I mean, why would we help them out?
              'Cos then they'd help you out if you were in a similar situation?
              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                'Cos then they'd help you out if you were in a similar situation?
                I don't think they would. I've spoken to my boss some more about this, and one of the managers over there used to work in my pub, and got fired for failing to turn up for shifts, so there's a bit of bad blood just from that. Also, about six months ago, the pub across the street had a MASSIVE staff walkout, and all of their staff walked straight into ours for a job!

By the sounds of things it looks as though they were trying to get one over on us.

Comment

besides.... if the other bar was on the up-and-up, they wouldn't be trying to steal your beer when they weren't given the go-ahead. and they wouldn't be lying about calling your boss

Comment

Also you have learned a lesson here

Never take anyones word for it, always check up if there is a slightest hint of doubt...that way your ass is covered
                    We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X