This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more checks

So because Kroger has been getting a lot of returned checks at their fuel stations. Starting this Wednesday Kroger Gas Stations will no longer be accepting checks as a form of payment. This is gonna be fun...

The Kroger gas station I go to already has signs on the pumps stating they don't accept checks. I guess maybe different areas have different policies?
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I have never seen a Kroger with a gas station...

But yea none of the gas stations around here have ever accepted checks...where I grew up never accepted them either.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
        The Kroger gas station I go to already has signs on the pumps stating they don't accept checks. I guess maybe different areas have different policies?
        They're implementing it at different times in different divisions. Still we'll have signs too. But we all know how effective signs are....

Comment

The games store I used to work at didn't take checks, I loved it. The one I am at now does and I've always thought they were more trouble than they are worth.

If you have a checking account, you most likely have a debit/credit card to go along with said account, why not make life easier on everyone and pay with plastic?
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
            If you have a checking account, you most likely have a debit/credit card to go along with said account, why not make life easier on everyone and pay with plastic?
            Old farts still exist.

Also, my company still takes checks, but they're processed electronically now. No floating a check for you

Comment

most gas stations i see these days don't accept checks.
              only place i've seen take one was... cos the owner said yes... my card had been broken off in the machine and i wanted to pay for the gas.

and i think the recognized me as a repeat customer. plus the check was good

Comment

One thing I've noticed is most people who pay with checks are at least 35 if not much older. Hopefully it's a dying trend.
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

My bank wont give me a card unless I fill out a credit app which could make me loose my account....so no debit/cc card for me.

Comment

My company does electronic checks now. I don't think we ever took checks at our gas stations. Though someone has figured out a way to steal over $300 from us. I'm not sure they do it, but LP won't officially comment on how it happens.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                      One thing I've noticed is most people who pay with checks are at least 35 if not much older. Hopefully it's a dying trend.
                      Yeah I've noticed that too. That or they're bad checks... It'll still be a while before their gone though. A large portion of our tenders are checks so yeah. You know paper Foods Stamps is gone, and Texas has almost rid us of paper WIC. I look forward to the day when checks can be added to that list. Gods I hate checks.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                        My bank wont give me a card unless I fill out a credit app which could make me loose my account....so no debit/cc card for me.
                        At first I went "Wait, what?" Then I remember the difference between debit cards in Canada and the US.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          At first I went "Wait, what?" Then I remember the difference between debit cards in Canada and the US.
                          Actually I live in the US and that always makes me The fact we need to do credit checks for debit cards is very very sad.

Comment

Quoth SG15Z View Post
                            The fact we need to do credit checks for debit cards is very very sad.
                            Well, my problem with it the fact that here, a debit card is issued to you by your bank. Directly. As in, some have a big ol' stack of cards sitting in the back, you want one, and they just pull one out and program it right there. And then it works at any ATM, and any place that takes Interac payments. The money comes out of your account (chequing or savings, whichever) right then. You have your daily limit at ATMs and Interac purchases, and if you exceed those or the amount in your account, you can't use the card. There's no "credit" function. It's not issued by Visa, or Mastercard, or whoever on behalf of your bank. So the whole "Did you want to run your card as debit or credit" that we get in stories on here just baffles me. I understand it all conceptually, so no one feel the need to explain it, but seriously. It just seems like it makes everything way more complicated than it needs to be. Here, your debit card is your money. Comes out now, it's gone. Just like cash. Credit cards are their money, and must be repaid when they ask. Why the two should be mingled in any way, even just to delay your purchase going through until the next day, is illogical.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Tell me about it. Sure they will give me the account but if I have a debit card with it then it needs to meet strict guidelines, and I can get fee'd to death if I don't keep a good balance in there. I'm looking for a new bank now but so many have gone that way. Hell it's my credit union that could cancel my account if I don't have a high enough fico to get the debit/cc card.

Comment

Working...
                              X