X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview Question

Hello
    Got a question for you guys...

I'm interviewing for an assistant manager's position at a specialty clothing shop (basically they sell really expensive stuff like Juicy Couture). It's technically part time, 25-30 hours a week. I really need full time, but if they pay me enough I'm going for it. I looked up average salaries and they fall around $35,000-$40,000 a year (I haven't really worked in management before). According to the internet, anyways. Basically, my question is, would it be too much to ask for around $20,000 a year or so?? I don't want to look like an idiot for asking for a ridiculous salary (if I even get the chance to talk about or negotiate the pay, that is.)

Thanks for the input...sorry if it's a dumb question!
    "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
    "Red."
    "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
    "RED!"
    "..."

I had a real good response till I noticed you said this was part time. I would ask first if this was a hourly or salery position. Depending on that answer then I would get into numbers. Because if it's hourly you really don't have a say.

Comment

Don't be the first to offer up a number EVER
      Have a range figured out in your head of the hourly and salary wage you will need
      What do you have to make at 25 hours a week versus 40 hours

Go into the interview with those numbers sorted out, if they ask you for a number or for what you made at your last job dont cave! Tell them that your last job had different responsibilites and was in a different market so you want to negotiate based on this job.
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far

Yeah, I've never asked about pay first at any interview. That's why I'm going in a little nervous because I really don't know what to expect! lol.

My plan so far is to try to make a really awesome impression at the interview, and if they offer me too little is to ask for the night to think about it and talk to my husband (which I would do anyways, regardless of pay) and call her back and say how much I'd love the job, but I really need $xx per hour or whatever. And maybe they'll take me up on it, and if not, I'm not really losing a whole lot because I can only go so low on pay. All considering they even offer me the job, of course
        "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
        "Red."
        "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
        "RED!"
        "..."

Comment

Don't bring up salary in the first interview. If you are called back, usually the company will ask what you're looking for, or give you an idea of the minimum.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

The only time I ever discussed salary at an interview was when they were going to hire me on the spot.(And were excited about the prospect of my working there.)

Comment

Working...
            X