This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed forever!

Remember my last job, where I was accused of stealing SSN's?

They were bought out - and the buyers elected to just close the place down and migrate all of the accounts to their existing offices.

I've been talking to the network admin (he's the only one still on the payroll - he's boxing up PC's and shipping them until the end of the month) - he said the buyers already lost over half of the accounts because their CSRs are rude. I got bored and tried calling a couple of the numbers for the accounts, and sure enough got a pissed off sounding CSR just answering "<Company name>", nothing else.

The manager who accused me? He's out of a job.

Sucks that all of the CSRs lost their jobs though.

I can't seem to find the back story and I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you please post a link to it? Thanks. Though from what I am seeing, it looks like Karma is in full swing.
    "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
      I've been talking to the network admin (he's the only one still on the payroll - he's boxing up PC's and shipping them until the end of the month) - he said the buyers already lost over half of the accounts because their CSRs are rude. I got bored and tried calling a couple of the numbers for the accounts, and sure enough got a pissed off sounding CSR just answering "<Company name>", nothing else.
      Ah, the joys of consolidation. This happens a lot-- company decides to buy out the competition so they can eliminate jobs, and when they eliminate the jobs, service goes down, and the customers they purchased bail on them.

Yet Wall Street (or the local version of it) seems to think this is a good thing. No, I don't understand it, either.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
        Ah, the joys of consolidation. This happens a lot-- company decides to buy out the competition so they can eliminate jobs, and when they eliminate the jobs, service goes down, and the customers they purchased bail on them.

Yet Wall Street (or the local version of it) seems to think this is a good thing. No, I don't understand it, either.
        It's not so much as eliminating jobs, but eliminating a competitor to gain market share. However, because they now have duplicate facilities, one or more of them is usually discontinued to save money.

Mergers can be a good thing, if they're done correctly. However, some of them aren't--take a look at the mess created when the Union Pacific railroad took over the Southern Pacific. They had some *serious* problems because of the merger -- "missing" freight cars, stalled trains, etc. simply because they didn't do enough planning beforehand. While all this crap was going on, several customers switched to trucks instead...and UP has had to work extra hard in getting them back.

To contrast that, the merger of the Baltimore & Ohio and Chesapeake & Ohio railroads in the 1970s went along smoothly. They'd been planning it out for years, and gradually became one company--Chessie System, which is now part of CSX Transportation. Because those lines went to roughly the same areas, quite a few duplicate facilities and lines were sold off or abandoned. They'd keep the better line, and downgrade the others. The end result is that it made a stronger system.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
          I can't seem to find the back story and I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you please post a link to it? Thanks. Though from what I am seeing, it looks like Karma is in full swing.
          I don't remember all of the details, but I believe that happened on a previous incarnation of the boards. I think it happened quite a while ago, too-over a year, perhaps?

Bean, you may have to give us all a bit of a memory boost.
          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Working...
          X