This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lines for the PS3 have started already

Well, it has happened. Today (Nov 14th) at 2:30 PM we had our first people get in line for the PS3 in layaway, since we are open 24 hours. The PS3 is not being released until November 17. So these people are going to be waiting in line for over 2 days to get a game system. To add to the insanity, we are only getting 3 units in our store. The first group was 3 people with chairs and entertainment. The second group arrived a few hours later. This group was 3 adults and one infant. I left at 11 and it seems they are there for the long term. The first group was playing Monopoly.

There are several points I want to bring up:
    1. What are these people going to smell like in 2.5 days.
    2. All around town there are 10 times more people in line to buy one than there are units to sell.
    3. Sony apparently did not learn from the PS2 that you need to get your act together and make sure you have enough stuff to sell.
    4. Electronics can't tell them that they can't go to the bathroom or sleep while in the line.
    5. We can't mess with them while on the clock. (However, off the clock is fair game. )
    6. WE ARE ONLY GETTING 3 UNITS AT MOST. What makes people even bother wasting their time? (Aside from flipping them for $2,000 on Ebay.)
    7. Sony is gona loose their shirt to Nintendo IMHO. We are getting between 23-26 Wii when they are released.

So how are other people dealing with the impending release of the PS3.
    "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

I never understood why wait in line for something like that.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Has anybody told them that you're only getting 3? Why are you only getting 3, anyway? Seems a bit silly to have so few of something that's probably going to be popular. :/
      God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

It has become a rite of passage for some gamers to have the latest and greatest on day one. Personally, I have all the consoles, but I'm going to wait on the PS3. I think Sony has overreached this time, and the price point for the system is too high to sustain a gamer base large enough for developers to invest the large amount of resources needed to develop for the new software. I could be wrong, but I would expect the system to drop to around $400 once supply shores up. It is pretty telling to me that so many games announced as "PS3 Exclusives" are now showing up for release on the XBox 360. I think developers are getting jumpy about the high price and supply issues. Just my
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Why are you only getting 3, anyway? Seems a bit silly to have so few of something that's probably going to be popular.
          I think that Sony is only releasing 400K worldwide in the first release, and a couple thousand of those alone will be in Japan.

(btw, Transylvanian Concubine is an awesome song )

Comment

As much as I want a PS3, it can wait awhile for a lot of reasons. I will be waiting for a price drop and after they sort out the bugs on the PS3. Right now I'm happy with my PS2 but come on, waiting in line for 2 days just for a console, have these people ever heard of pre-ordering?
            The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I have never understood the hype.
              My friend preordered a PS2 so far in advance, he was on the list to recieve it from the second shipment.
              He gave the ticket to my dad as payment for something.
              We ended up getting the ps2, and dad tried to sell it for 500 bucks on ebay.
              He couldnt contact anyone who bid on it after a week or 2, so i got to keep it.
              It has only 2 problems. 1 it only works with the RCA plug adapters, no RFU adapters will work with it. or did i should say.
              problem 2, being an older console, some games it gets fuzzy with.
              Like Xenosaga 1, that is constant shifting between the 2 layers on the disc.
              other then that it has performed solidly since day 1.

But most First Gen consoles have problems. lots of them.

I will somday end up with all 3 consoles, there are a handful of 360 exclusives i want to get my hands on.(bioshock, too human, mass effect... are 3 off the top of my head)
              As well as a ps3 exclusive too(mgs4) (ive heard rumors there will be more ratchet and clank games, exclusive to the ps3, so thats a plus)
              and as for the wii, well twilight princess looks nice. but i have very rarely bought into any nintendo games. PSO and Smash brothers were about it.
              the newer metroid games only hold my attention for so long...

anyway back OnTopic.

I find it ludicris that these developoers, ie sony, microsoft, are holding WORLD WIDE RELEASES, when they have so few units to begin with.
              I might have gotten a 360 when it launch, had there been enough to go around.
              As it is now though, im not buying a 360 til i have atleast 1 game, which may not come out til december 07, in my hands.
              What makes it even more funny, is i have never heard microsoft tell these people to stop reselling these consoles for profit. hell i saw an ebay auction hit 12,000 USD for a 360.
              Imagine if the companies started doing this.
              We have 100k units, up the price to 15k a pop, and lets see how many people are beating down the doors.

And dont even get me started on the people MUGGING other people for their consoles.

If anyone here manages to get one, rent an Armoured Car.
              http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
              Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

I don't understand waiting in line, with the wonder that is the internet. I got an Xbox 360 delivered to my doorstep at 10:00am on release day, and I ordered it less than a month before it was released. (YAY for Amazon!) The b/f was super excited, but I have now been banned from buying him any b'day or xmas gifts for the next 5 years
                The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Let's see what I had to deal with yesterday:

A moron trying to convince a coworkewr that launch day was the 14th and another store was selling them already. (I think not)

Another moron asking me where he can get 500 PS3s. (you can't you moron!)

Countless morons asking what the line ups going to be like. (HOW THE SHOULD I KNOW?!)

I want this mess to END!
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Unfortunately many, if not most, of the people waiting in line are planning to buy them for resale on e-Bay. Previous releases of new game systems around Christmas have educated people on how to make a quick grand.
                    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

According to Wal-Mart's recent Electronics dept. flyer, which has advertisements for Xbox360, Wii, PS3, silver PS2, and GameBoy DS, each WM store is supposedly getting a minimum of 10 PS3 units. Compare that to the Wii's supposed release of a minimum of 20 units per WM store, and I think we're going to have issues on the PS3 front.

Haven't seen anyone camping yet. Of course, our store closes each night, so they'd have to do their camping outside (where we have aggressive coyotes -- I know, oxymoron, right?).

It'll be interesting to see how the Black Friday camping lines up two days before Thanksgiving, though....
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                        According to Wal-Mart's recent Electronics dept. flyer, which has advertisements for Xbox360, Wii, PS3, silver PS2, and GameBoy DS, each WM store is supposedly getting a minimum of 10 PS3 units.
                        I would HOPE we get 10, but everything I have heard says that we are getting only 3. Just read "The Acts of Gord" involving the release of the PS2.
                        "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

I don't know how many PS3's we're getting, or if anybody has lined up for them already, but I imagine there will be quite a few people in line tomorrow night.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Hempress View Post
                            (btw, Transylvanian Concubine is an awesome song )
                            And you know what flows there like wine....

Comment

husband works for sony.
                              in the online gaming dept.
                              poor guy has been so busy with this stuff.

and no, we don't get a free one.

Comment

Working...
                              X