X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme breakroom makeover!

Talk about your misplaced priorities...

We are approaching the busiest time of the year. We could have spent last night unloading the Black Friday doorbuster merchandise from the trailer outside, purging a department to make room for freight coming in, or even backstocking some of the bulk freight the truck crew didn't finish two nights ago.

But instead, I ended up painting the breakroom with a coworker. Apparently one of the corporate suits freaked out when he saw the hovel we call a breakroom, and ordered us to paint it RIGHT AWAY! As opposed to after the holidays, when it will be deader than dead and we will have time to do some of these maintenance chores that always get pushed back through the year.

We couldn't even do a decent paint job in there. We only had two cans of white paint for the top 2/3 of the walls and one can of dark teal green for the bottom third. And we didn't even bother to strip the old paint or clean the walls decent before painting. We just painted over the dirt, dust and grime. Also, along the top of the walls there is an old wallpaper wall border that was stuck on there and wouldn't come off. If we had enough time, we would've taken a heat gun and softened up the glue and taken the border off. Instead, we just painted over it and it started to heave up.

Of course, we didn't have time to clean tables, chairs, cabinets, etc, so that's all filthy yet. Plus the floor is in various shades or yellow, brown and black from various spills that have sat and festered for God knows how long.

On top of that, I had to leave two hours early. Corporate demanded we cut 160 hours from our schedule this week, because we've spent too much time training the seasonal warm bodies. Guess the suits at the corporate office were fretting over their bonus checks. Oh well, more sleep for me.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    But instead, I ended up painting the breakroom with a coworker.
    Wouldn't it have been easier to use a brush or a roller?
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post

Mike, I love you, man. You just made me laugh so hard they heard me outside the secure server room. Fortunately there's no one in here but me and the giant AC unit. The unit says, "Hi."
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
        Yes. The paint didn't stick to him well and I couldn't fit his head in the paint can.

Actually, we did use brushes and rollers. My job was to do the corners and anyplace else he couldn't get to with the roller.

But thanks for asking. I should have seen that one coming.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

There's always the Mr. Bean method

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Yes. The paint didn't stick to him well and I couldn't fit his head in the paint can.
            It's really a two person job..... http://www.tycool.com/2004/05/29/00069.html

Sorry I had to (google human paintbrush)...

Thanks Mike, After the week I've had I needed a laugh like that
            My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Wow... reminds me of the time when I was working at the bookstore, when we had a bigwig coming to visit. She was obsessed with bathrooms. The store itself could be underwater for all she cared, so long as the employee bathroom was in tiptop shape.
              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Working...
              X