Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked at a record store during one summer in college. There was no dress code and we were encouraged to dress "punk" or "skater" (this was in the late 90's). I was the most conservatively dressed out of the customer svc reps on the floor for most of the summer. I had no piercings or tattoos (at the time) and I was very conscious that I didn't show my belly, my butt, or my underwear.

But, it was one of the funnest places that I've ever worked. The casual atmosphere meant that we all loved working there and took our jobs very seriously. Corporate loved us because our sales were always great. We were just a happy-go-lucky, crazy looking crew.
    Do I dare
    Disturb the universe?
    In a minute there is time
    For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

T.S. Eliot

Comment

Our store...

Pants- Black slacks (use to be navy blue or black)

Shirt- White button up dress shirt WITH a tie (any color) plus company apron or Khaki colored dress shirt with no tie but you still gotta wear the apron

Shoes: Black INCLUDING THE SHOELACES...NO OTHER COLOR...NOT EVEN ON THE SOLES OF THE SHOES!! However they have pretty much gotten more relaxed on the shoe thing....as long as the shoes are mostly black then its ok.
      NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

Ours is pretty lax

Company issued button-down shirts, your choice of color

Black slacks and belt, your choosing

Dark shoes, your choosing

Optional company issued T-shirts during summer (June-Sep)

Holliday-themed shirts/sweaters acceptable around hollidays

Sports shirts accpetable during college football season (college town)
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Kitten in the box View Post
          Shoes: Black INCLUDING THE SHOELACES...NO OTHER COLOR...NOT EVEN ON THE SOLES OF THE SHOES!! However they have pretty much gotten more relaxed on the shoe thing....as long as the shoes are mostly black then its ok.
          The restaurant I used to work at felt the same way about our shoes and socks. I never laughed so hard in my life as the day when a fellow waiter tried to argue the point about the socks. "Nobody wears black socks!" That is a true statement. But then he was stopping everyone walking by and demanding to see their socks. Too bad for him, as we were all wearing the right colour socks. The manager just grinned at him.
          "I live in Los Angeles, and I was on the walk of fame. I was drunk, and I got a henna tattoo that says, 'Forever.'" -Zack Galifianakis

Call Sophia Moore or Kent E. Ryder for a good time!

Comment

Quoth KuzcoLlama View Post
            "Nobody wears black socks!"
            I wear black socks. Black socks and silver low-top Converse are an interesting combination.
            You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

I work at WM too...and they just told us about the dress code changes. One lady I work with mentioned that we're going to look like Best Buy employees...maybe we can try to get discounts there too lol. But I'm not going to have to deal with it long. I'm going to (hopefully) be out of that store in May. But I kind of like the vest...I store everything in that. Looks like I have to go get khaki colored cargo pants instead.
              "I'm not even supposed to BE here today!"

Comment

Our dress code here at the paper is no denim, and no workout clothes. And (according to my boss) "nothing that will freak out the old people." (Apparently I got a little too excited when we got the press release that our town was getting a Hot Topic...)

However, I can still have a little fun. I'm sitting here right now in black, brown, olive and pink camo pants with rhinestones around the back and pockets and a pink and black shirt. And I have bright red hair with some remnants of black streaks (debating whether or not I like them enough to keep up the maintanence). AND I got to keep an 8 x 10 of Eddie Guerrero on my desk with no questions asked. ANDDDD we get to wear jeans and festive shirts on certain days (jeans with a patriotic shirt for the Fourth, jeans with our "school colors" on the day of a particular annual local football game, etc.)

Yeah, it's way better than having to wash my McShirts every day.

That did just remind me of something that happened when I was working at McDonalds, mwah ha ha.

The McDonalds uniform was black pants, a belt, a shirt tucked in, and a visor or cap. Some other stuff about hair and nails that didn't affect me. One day, I was walking around with my dark green jacket tied around my waist in flagrant disregard of the rules, so the manager comes over to chew me out. Keep in mind I was his top worker there and sending me home to change would be two hours he'd lose me (I lived pretty far away), he knew it, I knew it, and he KNEW I knew it.

Manager: "Mysty, you're gonna need to take that jacket off your waist."
                Me: "Can't do that, man."
                Manager: "Well, it's against our dress code."
                Me: "Well, I was fixing that damn fryer and when I stood up, I tore the back of my pants wide open on the stupid shelf that is way too close. So it's either this, or I walk around showing everyone my hot pink panties. And I don't particularly care which to be honest, but I'm guessing the parents over there with their preschoolers might object."

The jacket stayed.
                Last edited by MystyGlyttyr; 11-21-2006, 04:45 PM. Reason: thought of a funny story
                "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

What's wrong with wearing a uniform? If third shift means you are the guys filling the shelves at night then you surely don't want to wear your own clothes? They'd get messed up.
                  Will you $*&£ing mind the $*&£ing doors!

Comment

Working...
                  X