This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting published!

Alright, so this sounds like it belongs in off-topic at first, but it doesn't! Really!

I'm graduating in 2 weeks - December 16 (yes, I know. Holy crap). I therefore have to leave my job here because I'm moving back home. Now - this isn't the supermarket job that I have at home. My job here is children. It's a crazy stressful job some days, but I love it. I love THEM (the kids). Because I'm a substitute, I field calls from across the center - everyone has my number (and it seems like I'm on speed-dial some days). I felt the best way to announce my impending leaving and graduation was to put it in a letter laced with thanks, and distribute it to the center:
    November 29, 2006

Staff of Moffitt CDC:

Let me begin by saying what a pleasure it has been to be able to work with such an amazing group of people for the last year and a half. I have felt so welcomed and appreciated, and I’m grateful to have been part of such an amazing team. My wildest dreams never could have come close to what an experience this has been. Thank you. As of December 8, however, I will no longer be available to substitute. I’m graduating with my Bachelor’s degree in Psychology on December 16, and will be moving back to the Orlando area to begin my career.

This has been such an incredible journey. I never could have realized the nature of the work you do without having been a part of it. I thank you for that. I thank you for being patient with me, teaching me, and embracing me. The knowledge I’ve gained here is invaluable, and I’m sure it will serve me well.

I haven’t had many jobs, but this is by far the most challenging and rewarding job in my list. I admire you all for giving your all to these kids day in and day out. This doesn’t even seem like a job for me, it was more of entertainment on my days when I don’t have school. As this past summer dwindled, all I could talk about was coming back and seeing the kids. I missed all the little hugs and kisses and smiles - things like rocking a baby to sleep, reading a story to eight 1-year olds who are all trying to sit on my lap at the same time (which doesn’t work, by the way), and having a 2-year old exclaim “I did it!” after going in the potty, as well as a detailed explanation of their deposit. I missed reading the same story over and over and over and over again to the 3-year olds, having “grown-up” conversations with the 4-year olds, and playing referee with the after-schoolers. I can’t imagine not having this anymore. I’m going to miss you all and the children so much.

Closing this chapter in my life and beginning a new one is exciting and terrifying all at the same time. I’m hoping to teach high school, and I’m sure this experience will prove useful in dealing with teenagers. Though my schedule will likely be hectic, I will make my best efforts to head over to USF at least once a semester to come visit and catch up with everyone. Everyone needs a dose of the innocence of a child every now and then.

Once again, thank you all so much.

TheGiraffe
    So I'm at work today in the 4-year old room, and the director stops by to say bye to everyone, as she's heading out. She says to me that it was a beautiful letter, and she took the liberty of showing it to the regional director (!) at the meeting this morning, and she would like to publish it in the recruitment packet (with my permission of course). Oh yeah! *happy dance*. I will forever be a part of Bright Horizons! (Well, until they change the packet, that is haha).
    Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

That's a great letter.
    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth thegiraffe View Post
      I’m hoping to teach high school, and I’m sure this experience will prove useful in dealing with teenagers.
      Ain't that the truth... the 3 and 4 year-olds at least. I really HOPE you won't have to rock a highschool kid to sleep, or have 8 of 'em try to sit in your lap at once. Good luck and congrats on graduating.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Haha...well, when it all boils down, there isn't much difference between a preschooler and a high schooler.

And thanks
        Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Comment

Quoth thegiraffe View Post
          Haha...well, when it all boils down, there isn't much difference between a preschooler and a high schooler.
          I beg to differ. You can reason with a preschooler...

Comment

Thats a wonderful letter, I am not surprised they want to put it in their publicity material. I love the image of the 8 little ones all trying to sit on your lap.
            A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
            - Dave Barry

Comment

Awwww what a nice letter
              No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

thanks

And yeah - you can try to reason with a preschooler. It's quite amusing - you should try it sometime haha

Comment

I'd have to imagine reasoning with a preschooler would be easier than trying to talk to some of the people we have to deal with. I've found a lot of young kids to be both smart and reasonable. Which makes me wonder what happens between being young and growing up....
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    I'd have to imagine reasoning with a preschooler would be easier than trying to talk to some of the people we have to deal with. I've found a lot of young kids to be both smart and reasonable. Which makes me wonder what happens between being young and growing up....
                    The pre-schoolers I teach at church have roughly zero attention span, but they're bright little people, can be reasoned with (within concepts they understand), and are loads of fun.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                    X