X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get to make my own schedule

I get all the free Pizza I can eat

Because we have deals worked out with other restaurants in the area I get to eat and drink for free at those places

and the best perk is that because I'm in charge of the LSM budget and liaison with corporate on all the local TV and radio buys I get free tickets to local shows and events. Most of those go to employee incentives but occasionally, like when Smashing Pumpkins came to town last year, I take the tickets for myself.

Comment

Perks from my current job:

Online employee store where almost anything is available at a severe discount. Payroll deduction is an option for payment if you're not the type that can hold on to money once its in your possession.

A whole 3-inch binder full of potential discounts of other companies ranging from cell phone services to apartments to Disney vacations.

20% discount on all merchandise in the gift shop, including the concert venue's merch counter. 30% discount on all merchandise with either our brand logo or our corporation's logo.

30% discount at all of our property's public food outlets.

Employee Dining Room serves what is sometimes a reasonable meal. With some exceptions, its all you can pile onto a single tray for $3, payroll deducted. Multiple meals in a day aren't charged. Fountain soda, milk, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and fresh fruit are free. Occasionally, usually holidays or other special occasions, a free meal is offered.

Employee Lounge complete with comfy furniture, a designated quiet room, a computer lab, a video game room, and a good stash of board games. Also an employee concierge to help you resolve certain matters or access discounts.

Discounts on hotels at other properties within our company.

Occasional employee appreciation events. This can vary from a free meal and a DJ in the employee dining room to our concert venue being full of inflatable fun things with live band karaoke to our department going out on the company luxury yacht and getting shitfaced on the company's dime.

A well organized HR department with teams specializing in whatever your concern is (benefits, employee relations, payroll, hiring, training). Surprisingly, they do a pretty good job when they only need to worry about their own area.

And since I work in our concert venue, add to the list:

I get to see at least part of every show in our venue. If I'm off, I'm welcome to come in and watch. If I'm working, it will depend on my job for that show, but I can generally soak in a few minutes here and there if not the whole thing.

I get to meet some of the performers personally. Mostly comedians and the back up bands for our Asian performers so far, but there are a few bands who are rather social with their local crews too. Lea Salonga, for instance, is really nice. On the comedian front, Brad Garrett, Don Rickles, Lewis Black, Norm McDonald, and Brian Regan were all pretty awesome.

I get to play with machines with lots of buttons and make shiny things go

Free food on some concerts, depending on if the promoter budgeted for catering for local crew or just touring crew.

BAND SWAG!

Views of the performance nobody else gets. Like sound check. Or watching a performance from a weird angle, like behind or even directly overhead.

Lots of awesome networking. The tour crews come to you.

Equal opportunity nudity. We've hosted the Chippendales twice now, but we've also hosted Ivan Kane's world famous Forty Deuce revue.

Plenty of time to relax, especially during events. Generally, once load in is done, we can sit back til showtime, sometimes through the show if the act brought a full crew. Or we'll wind up with what's going on right now, a major poker tournament where our whole job is to monitor things and change the TV channels on the screens once in a while (read: surf the net and watch movies in the booth).
      "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
      "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
      My MySpace
      My LiveJournal

Comment

I'm in a "job training position" (means: I work full time but my paycheck is only equivalent to what I would get from my unemployment benefit - and no, it's not 90% as Oprah claimed in her show the other day) at the moment, at a department within the city's Health Services.

We get lots of organic fruits delivered every day + all the coffee and tea that you can drink. If I should happen to get employed on "normal" terms I also would be eligible for getting discounts on fitness club memberships and train/bus cards.
        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Perks?

Um Well I have health insurance. Which is something. It's not good insurance, but it is insurance.

Every year (or more ) they have a weekend where employees get 10% off everything in the store (except alcohol, tobacco, pharmacy scripts, etc.). It's nice to get $20 off a $200 order.

um.......this is hard actually.......

Being union I can't be fired for stupid reasons, so job security I guess is a perk.

I can't think of anything else......I wish I had some of you other peoples jobs right now.....

Comment

- Free certifications for QuickBooks and Peachtree and related programs

- Free top-tier tech support from the above when a client calls in with something that I just haven't seen before

- Getting paid for travel time & mileage to do onsites that are a bit out of the way...and getting paid my hourly wage on top of it

- Random computer parts when the office outgrows them

- Free unlimited Windows tech support
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Hmmmm. Being a "remote" employee:

Work from home.
              Company vehicle and gas card for service calls
              Company cell phone and laptop.
              My manager and supervisor live in a different state.
              In the 2.5 years of working with this company I just went over the point where I could count with my fingers how many times I have actually SEEN the manager (usually quick meetups, and chance encounters when I take the 3.5 hour trip to the office).

Plus the usual benefits (health, dental, vision, 401k, possible bonuses...).

I only miss out on the corporate office outings, and have a spoiled wife, a spoiled baby and 2 spoiled cats.

Edit:
              Can't believe I forgot - this job is only Monday - Friday during normal business hours (like 8am to 5pm), 160 hours paid time off a year, oh and 8 holidays +4 floating holidays...
              Last edited by bsaana; 10-27-2009, 11:09 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

(Hardware Store like Loews but not quite Home Depot. Has Seasons, Housewares, Paint, Plumbing, etc.)
                • Firstly and foremost, the people. The people there are absolutely wonderful. Everyone is, for the most part. Well, with the possible exception of the younger kids, age 17 - 21. Maybe three of them are kinda rough. But otherwise, everyone, managers included, is extremely personable and open to friendly chatter and life stuff. Couldn't be better.
                • Loose schedule. If you need some time, you got it. Exam or Religious holiday? Say no more.
                • Most holidays are catered in the back room. They set up a table with heroes and drinks and cake and stuff. I kind of wish people wouldn't spend so very much time back there, 'cuz we have work to do, (Yeah, I'm the goodie-two-shoes employee.) but it's still very nice of them. The Thanksgiving feast is epic.
                • We get to decorate the store when we feel like it. The Paint guy put a string of plastic leaves and pumpkins across the paint counter. ^_^ All the customers love it. Makes everyone that much more cheerful.
                • Customer interactions are fairly liberal. You can do and say whatever you want to so long as the customer leaves happy and money is made. I mean that is the point, right?
                • The discount is pretty good. I bought two pairs of $2.49 gloves, and the amount I paid for what would have been $5 was $1.69 or so. I turned a $16 deal into about $5.42.
                  • I'm not sure how it works though. To buy a normal duplicated key, it's $1.99 now. I bought one for $1. Then I buy a plastic coated one (Normally $2.49) for $.79. How is the more expensive one less than the default less expensive one? That's ... very interesting. ._O'
                • It's a fixer-upper. The store isn't in that good of a condition, relatively speaking. It's so very easy for the merchandise in an aisle to get all messed up. It gives us something to do to clean it all back up again. Most people hate that sort of thing, but I'm a very hands-on person. Whenever I want to, I can just go and undertake some special project to help fix up an area of the store and make it more efficient so this sort of thing doesn't happen again. I love making labels and getting stuff right and organized.
                • ... and I've even come in on off days without a vest to do it. Oh good lord those are so much fun. You get to say "I don't work here" whenever someone approaches you. I generally don't; I just say "I think I saw those in aisle x; try asking someone with a store vest on. They actually work here."
                • Some awesome usual customers. There's a lady who comes in every Tuesday morning to get some more apartment keys made. She asks for me specifically by name. There was a guy in here a week ago who saw the Ammonia and Bleach next to each other on the cleaning aisle shelf, and flipped out on it and told us war stories and how that seriously should not be, and how to make weapons out of it. x X. Told us some interesting chemical formulas there.
                • Keys. ^.^ I love making keys. I don't know why.
                • Not as much a perk as a preference - We get store radios / walkie-talkies we get to communicate with everyone at once. We have the funniest conversations over them. One day we had a whole "Mets vs Yankees" debate going strong. Some of the customers overheard it, and joined in. A lot of people were invited over to some customers' houses to watch the game with them. Maybe half of them obliged. That was far beyond awesome, I think.
                SC: "Are you new or something?"
                Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

- insurance
                  - comp time
                  - retirement
                  - job security
                  - kick ass state holidays (San Jacinto Day, Texas Independence Day, LBJ's birthday, et. al.)
                  - I get to talk for a living (woo-hoo!)
                  - travel (all over the state!)
                  - nice hotels
                  - per diem

It's good to be a trainer for the state...
                  Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Working...
                  X