This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving 2 Weeks (Need help asap)

Due to class scheduling etc and sheer homework volume I have to resign from my 2nd job. I have a nice resignation letter typed up, but I am nervous. Do I talk to him face to face? Do I say "I am sorry but I am givnig my two weeks?"

If he is not there, do I leave it on his desk in the cash office?

HELP

face to face is usually the best idea, but if he's not there, leave it on his desk and call later to make sure he got it. quitting sucks, but sometimes it can't be avoided
    good luck!
    If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
    ^_^

Comment

If you can't give it to him directly, find a way to make sure he got it. After all, if it somehow gets misplaced then you're kinda boned.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I'll just say what they said.

Make sure the boss got the letter - even follow up to make sure he got it if you didn't hand it to him. Don't trust it with anyone else - maybe even make extra copies incase one gets "lost".
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Unless you really hated the job, do explain to the boss that it's pressure of school leading to you regretfully having to give notice, and thank him for the job. If you can say honestly you enjoyed working there/great team/he's taught you a lot etc, that's cool too. Don't lay it on too thick, but it's good to leave on good terms.
          You never know, you might want to be working there again in a year or two, or end up working with him in another company. Or at least need a reference at sometime.

Comment

-sigh-

Why do I get constant vomiting level sick right after I put my 2 weeks in? I have to call out... he's going to yell at me. He's going to think Im doggin him. I'm scared.

Just to note, I get tremendous anxiety on the phone in this regard. When I worked at best buy and tried to call out sick once, I was berated over the phone and blamed for the entire store's inability to meet sales goals because I had food poisoning. Now I am PETRIFIED to call out sick.
            Last edited by Pezzle; 10-24-2009, 08:03 AM.

Comment

You put in your two weeks, stop sweating it. What's he going to do fire you after you've quit?

You don't owe them the two weeks, you especially don't if you're sick.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                You don't owe them the two weeks,
                Er, depending on where, yeah, you can.

But Pezzle, it's probably partly stress that got you sick. Try and relax, don't stress out. It's out of your hands.

Comment

Tell me about it! Kudos to whoever can actually manage 2 part time jobs with varying schedules + full time school, because I can't. It made me sick twice, and this time it made me so sick I just couldn't hack it this time.

Check it out tho.. my phone conversation.

Me: Hello, can you put the MOD on please I need to call in sick?
                  FES: Aw, poor dear... let me transfer you.
                  MOD: Hello, douchebag speaking.
                  Me: Hi, I'm terribly sorry but I won't be able to make my shift today as I'm quite ill and..
                  MOD: Pezzle, honestly this is a big problem. What about the other days you're scheduled?
                  Me: I cannot say for certain, but I am hoping it's merely a 24 hour sort of thing.
                  MOD: Yeah you would wouldn't you? I bet you do...
                  Me: MOD, I - click -

Motherfucker hung up on me. I am angry. I've always been 10 minutes early for every shift, have perfect cashier report cards, and this is the first time I've called out and I've already submitted my 2 weeks notice. Seriously? You perform well but the minute you need something it's all your fault? This is why I am giving up on big box. PS, its a chain arts and crafts store (Not AC Moore or Joannes... give you a wild guess)
                  Last edited by Pezzle; 10-25-2009, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    Er, depending on where, yeah, you can..
                    Only if there's a contract involved. If they can fire you without notice then you can certainly quit without notice.

It may hurt you applying for other jobs, but I've never heard of a required two weeks.

Seriously? You perform well but the minute you need something it's all your fault?
                    Pretty much. Even if you had a perfectly legitimate reason to quit you're the enemy because you're not staying to be miserable with him.

It's not just big box stores, it's anywhere. Idiot managers are everywhere.

Comment

Only if there's a contract involved. If they can fire you without notice then you can certainly quit without notice.
                      Canadian labour law requires employees AND employers to give 2 weeks notice of termination if employed for over a year, but less than 5, I believe. Pursuant to that, not every place in the US is "at will," and may require notice as well.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        Canadian labour law requires employees AND employers to give 2 weeks notice of termination if employed for over a year, but less than 5, I believe. Pursuant to that, not every place in the US is "at will," and may require notice as well.
                        I wasn't aware of Canadian law, so ok. For the OP, I'm almost certain the New Jersey is an "at will" state which is where my reply was coming from.

Comment

which is where my reply was coming from.
                          Fair enough, and where I'm coming from is this is an international board, so anyone in the future who reads this thread for advice will have a fuller picture, so while not immediately relevant (I'm irrelevant! ), it may be so later to someone else.

Comment

Working...
                          X