This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sits In A Corner Whimpering Quietly

At my store there are three (3) managers. Just three.

Store Manager, Assistant Store Manager, Me (Sales Manager- basically the same as ASM just a different title).

Saturday is the ASM's last day.

That leaves two managers- Store Manager and me.

Store Manager dropped the bomb today that she quits as of Tuesday.

That leaves... me. *whimpers*

The DL assures me she has a plan in place so I won't bear the whole burden of the store alone. I'm holding my breath... see?... I'm turning blue...

We do not know who our new SM will be (or if there is one) but I have already informed the CSR's that even if we get a monkey's ass who doesn't follow policy I am still going to expect things to be done RIGHT. Just like we've always done them- not that I doubt that they will just, you know, it's easy to slide when your SM doesn't do things right. Yes, I'm fretting and worrying.

One of my CSR's, bless him, said, "Ah, no. Once *SM's name* is gone you're the boss. There don't need to be any new SM roll up in here and think he's gonna override you." Now he's decided my nickname is going to be, "THE Boss" from now on.

Still, I'm absolutely DREADING next week. No matter how it goes I can already feel the migraine to come. The back of my head is already starting to twinge.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

I just have a quick question for you. Why don't you apply to be the SM? If I remember correctly there is a significant pay jump. You have the experience. You actually follow the rules. Train your staff well, and have the bottom line in mind.

I know some things suck about being SM. However being able to say to some condecending asshat "I AM the store manager" is worth it all most days.
    "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

I agree with GK - why can't you go for the Store Manager job? You know everything about the store works, you know you could do the job perfectly well, so why not give it a bash?
      A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
      - Dave Barry

Comment

I also echo the idea of you applying for the SM position.

Best of luck, whatever happens!!!!!!
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Yeah apply for it. I know that you would get it. You have the experance, and what not. Good Luck to you
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Inner Turmoil

My hubby and CSR's also think I should.

It's a high pressure, high stress, you're married to the store kinda deal. 60-90 hour work weeks and on the weekends you aren't supposed to leave the store until a certain sales goal is met- even if that means open through close Friday-Sunday.

*sigh* I just don't know.

In some ways I feel almost obligated to say, "Hey, give me the store!". I have one really good employee who has already stated that if things go any kind of bad with a new SM she's gone. There are others I know feel the same way- heck, I feel that way.

Also, it's not like my family couldn't use the money!
            GAH! *frets... head explodes*
            "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314

Comment

I've worked for your company too, as an AM as well. There are perks that come with the SM job. To be perfectly honest from what I've seen from you online, you are too smart just to be sitting at the AM position for the rest of your life. This is a great opportunity to move up, and maybe even eventually get out of a store completely. I always had my eye on the DM or some other HO position.

It's different being the boss and making the decisions. Don't underestimate yourself.

Good luck
              "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

Why not try it for a while and see how it goes?
                No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Whatever you decide to do, I hope that it works out for the best. I'm sure that you will make the decision that is best for you and your family.
                  I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
                    Why not try it for a while and see how it goes?
                    Exactly, If the company people are worth a crap, it shouldnt be any trouble to step down if you decide being a SM isnt something you want to do after all.

This is a perfect oppertunity. Grab it.
                    If you dont, you may regret it later.

And who knows, having actual SM experience under your belt, may prove to be very, very useful down the road.
                    http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                    Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
                      It's a high pressure, high stress, you're married to the store kinda deal. 60-90 hour work weeks and on the weekends you aren't supposed to leave the store until a certain sales goal is met- even if that means open through close Friday-Sunday.
                      Um, based on what you said, I'm going to recommend opposite what others have said, unless you and your husband are willing to go a while on a single paycheck if you decide the job isn't worth it. The "easier to find a job when you already have one" saying doesn't work if the one you have is high-stress lots-of-hours, because then you don't have a lot of time to search and what little spare time you have you really need to unwind.

Comment

As of this evening I've realized something...

There is NO ONE ELSE. There are no managers available to come to work permanently in our store right now. The DL has put out a call for other stores to give up managers for shifts at my store for at least the next two weeks and possibly longer. Until we can get an SM to hire in more management- we're pretty much screwed. My long term employees are on shaky ground if they are going to stick around or not.

My SM isn't even gone yet and I see the walls of our carefully built fortress crumbling.

I told my hubby tonight that tomorrow I'm going to bid the job.

I'm still not really sure I want it. *stomache quesy* But I also don't want my store to go to Hell in a handbasket either. Of course, there's nothing saying I'll actually get it either. Perhaps I'll simply feel too guilty if I don't at least try... darn this stupid conscience!

~TechSmith 314

Comment

It sounds like you've got a good crew to work with, I know it's scary, but from what I've read of your posts, I think you would be a fantastic SM. Plus it sounds like you'll be doing the job anyway, so might as well get the pay for it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

Good luck! I hope you get it... or that you don't, whichever is better
                            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Good luck!
                              No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Working...
                              X