This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I gave her the pickle :D

Christmas Eve I was stocking the grocery department, because that's aparently what you do when you're scheduled bakery. Or at least when they underschedule grocery on a holiday.

I had a customer ask me what the difference was between sweet midget pickles and sweet baby gehrkin pickles. I had no idea, nor did another nearby employee. There seemed to be only one logical course of action...

I gave the lady the pickle. Actually I gave her a few of them. I took the smallest size in our house brand of both pickles in question and opened one of each, allowing the customer to sample as many as she wanted, and taking a few for myself and giving a few to the other employee. The remaining pickles went to the breakroom.

In the end, the customer and I both know the difference (the midgets are much sweeter, the gehrkins are a little bit larger), the customer bought a jar of pickles, she was happy, and management was happy that she was happy. And of course since nobody touched the pickles in the breakroom, I got most of a jar of pickles so far and I will probably claim the remainder of the other jar tomorrow.

Just an illustration of my marvelous customer service skills in action
    "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
    "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
    My MySpace
    My LiveJournal

I had a produce worker do something similar. The grocery store was selling a fruit that I'd never heard of before, but I didn't want to buy one fruit for $2.50 without knowing what it tasted like and if I would like it. One of the workers noticed me looking at it with a puzzled look and asked if she could help. I explained my problem, and almost before I had finished, she has a blade out and was sectioning it off. Turns out that I really like ugli fruit and I've been buying them ever since.

While it sounds like a minor thing, it meant a lot that she was willing to slice up one of their fruits on the off chance I would like it and buy some. Needless to say, a certain produce worker was mentioned to the store manager as a great example of customer service.

Comment

Quoth SuperDan View Post
      Christmas Eve I was stocking the grocery department, because that's aparently what you do when you're scheduled bakery. Or at least when they underschedule grocery on a holiday.
      If you didn't have yourself listed as being in IN, I'd wonder if you worked at my store.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
      X