This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated as hell

As you all have read in my Auto parts Unmotivated thread, weird title I know, I have a boss from hell. No gray area etc. I'm trying to figure out how to best approach him about putting more hours on my schedule, and I'm afraid he'll slave drive me into the grave for it. I can't live on 11 hours a week, and I don't know how he expects me to do it. It seems every other employee there has more hours, because they have families and the like. I'm so sick of this, and I don't know how to approach it. I'm sitting here, on my day off stressing about it. I don't know whether to call him or go in there, because you never know what kind of MOOD he's in. He seems to snap from one mood to the other, at the drop of a hat. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Having to deal with a similar type boss, here is what I would suggest. Go in with an idea of how much extra hours you would like. Don't just say "I want more hours if possible." But ask for a specific range of extra hours. Be prepared to be asked why you need the hours, even if it is as obvious as "I can't live on the few hours I am given." and you think a blind drunk monkey could see that.

Basically be specific, support your position with facts, and be prepared for them crossing their arms and looking at you like you have just gone out of your mind. Stick to your guns, but politely.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Mytical has a good idea. Just to add:

Before you go in, work out the exact minimum you need to be making, based on take-home pay. Then add 4 or 5 hours and present that to him.

If he throws a fit, say that you're willing to go with (minimum) hours, but could it be as a stepping stone to more hours?

Also, try starting the conversation with a bit of flattery. Something like "I really love working here, and I'm learning a lot, but I really need more hours to be able to continue in such a great environment. Could I possibly try working X hours next week, to see how it goes?" What sounds like brown-nosing or sucking up actually works with bosses like that.

Comment

Thank you both. They're really good ideas. I need about 35 hours a week just to make it every month. 35 is my top, but I could go 30.

You're right, Mytical, you really do have to kiss his ass enough where you taste ass crack...

Comment

Which is why my boss doesn't like me. I refuse to do so. I've been passed over for promotions twice because of it. Went back to get my degree, however, and hopefully when I get it I will be able to find a better paying job that offers a bit more respect.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
            Which is why my boss doesn't like me. I refuse to do so. I've been passed over for promotions twice because of it. Went back to get my degree, however, and hopefully when I get it I will be able to find a better paying job that offers a bit more respect.
            Thankfully today went better. I don't know how but it did. I hope you do find a better job, after you finish. Maybe school is the answer for me too, but I find I'm interested in a variety of things, so it's hard to pick just one thing to do. I didn't kiss his butt at all today.

I also asked Brian, the commercial parts manager, also my boss there, to talk to the boss from hell, about my schedule for next week. He said he would. Dilbert tends to get in moods a lot, like I said, so there was no talking to him for the last hour or so of my shift.

I really don't want to look for another job, because it was such a stressful endeavor looking for this one. But yet I must charge on. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Quoth HeatherWolf View Post
              Maybe school is the answer for me too, but I find I'm interested in a variety of things, so it's hard to pick just one thing to do.
              Once you have a bachelor's degree, you're qualified to do what's called a 'Graduate Diploma'. This gives you the effective equivalent in a bachelor's for the additional field - it's tougher work than a bachelor's, because they expect you to be a skilled student by that point. With a grad dip, you can usually go on to a Masters.

My cousin (the eternal student) is a qualified surgeon and psychiatrist, but he keeps doing grad dips in fields as diverse as mathematics and paleontology. If it interests him, he does a grad dip in it. And maybe a Masters.

So pick one field at pseudo-random, perhaps based on 'it interests me, I'd do it for fun, and it leads to employment that provides enough money for me to do grad dips'.

Then just keep studying, if you choose to. Or you could study informally - me, I'm working my way through the Richard Feynman physics lectures.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

That's a good idea. I never even thought about doubling up like that. I'm a history buff, also highly interested in saving the wolves (hence my screen name) I love NASCAR racing, an artist (fine arts/visual), (I can't play an instrument) and have a thirst for adventure. Maybe that isn't so much, but it feels like a lot to me, lol

Comment

Quoth HeatherWolf View Post
                  That's a good idea. I never even thought about doubling up like that. I'm a history buff, also highly interested in saving the wolves (hence my screen name) I love NASCAR racing, an artist (fine arts/visual), (I can't play an instrument) and have a thirst for adventure. Maybe that isn't so much, but it feels like a lot to me, lol
                  Sit down and decide what you would like to do as a career, and go to school for that. The rest can be hobbies that you self study, or take classes in as electives. From the list, I can suggest the following as college major paths:

History (you will have to take this to a doctorate level, or else take a second major in teaching to make much of it.)
                  Ecology/Environmental Studies (You'll probably want to research places close to state parks and preserves that have monitored wolf packs to look for work/study opportunities.)
                  Mechanics School (I'd look in the Indianapolis or Taledega area, or look for schools affiliated with NASCAR/other racing organizations for your best chances.)

I'd do the art classes for electives, or even a minor. Its a hard path to choose as a primary living, and very few become good enough to make their living doing pure art. Maybe pair those classes with a major in advertising so you can survive and buy supplies & studio space until you find a market for your work. I also understand glass-blowing can be a rewarding career if you can get in with a good studio group.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

In general, for any arts field (not liberal arts, but the arts, including fine arts), the rule is don't choose it as a career path unless you can't live without it. Doing it because you think it would be cool isn't recommended, because it's tough. The degrees are a lot of work (significantly more than engineering), and the pay is crap and it's really hard to break into the field. Oh, and you have some of the most expensive textbooks. My SIL did a year in business before she realised that she was too miserable without her singing. If she was going to be taking expensive lessons, and spending two hours a day practising, she might as well be doing so for school credit. My MIL did her MFA for personal enrichment. (Although she is trying to break into the field as a professional, her husband is the primary wage earner).

Comment

You can also combine your art and history as an Art History Major
                      I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        Maybe pair those classes with a major in advertising so you can survive and buy supplies & studio space until you find a market for your work.
                        This. You could also major in design and still get a job at a lot of ad agencies but being specifically trained as an art director (by getting an advertising degree) will make you even more attractive. If you can find a school with a portfolio track in their ad program, people will be in LOVE with you.

My fiance is a copywriter (writes the words in ads) who has a degree in advertising. If you've got any questions or curiosity about the field, PM me.

Comment

Thanks you all, for the great suggestions. NASCAR Tech was the one reason I moved out here. Working for an auto parts store, I learned that the only parts I have aptitude for are chassis parts. The under body of the race car. IE Tie rods, struts/shocks, that kind of thing.

I like the idea of art director for an ad agency. I never considered that before. There are a lot of fields you could go into art wise. I do have a good head for business, so I would have to get the type of art degree to have it work for me. That's my practical thinking lol

trailerparkmedic, I'll shoot you a pm when I can. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X