X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody get a raise...

..in this economy???

Just curious.

The hospital I work for has been "struggling" (in their terms), and have decided to shut down 2 seperate wings in the hospital as well as the day surgery area. Effecetively, 170 people are out of jobs. They are trying to "redeploy" the homeless employees into other areas so no one is laid off...however, they are taking long enough that I think theyre hoping a large majority of them quit so they dont have to pay unemployment.

So, i was surprised, to say the least, to look at my last paycheck and notice a raise. It was only a 1.8% raise...but I guess thats better than nothing.... I didnt think we were going to get jack shit, so its a little, but pleasant surprise.

For the record, raises are usually about 3 to 3.5% a year plus across the board base rate increases.

My hubs did, which is really cool because they fired/transferred half of his department and got rid of a whole other department that does something similar.
    We were worried that his job would get really slow but it's actually picked up (he gets new stores up and running). The hardware store he works for, I'm pretty sure they haven't actually closed any stores down. Plus they are now in our two neighboring countries plus they are looking to go to Aussie land (I kinda hope he gets in on that cause I want to live in Aussie land for like 2 years).
    It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

We're supposed to get a 1.5% raise next month but it's starting to look like it's going to get axed due to the need not being there.

Comment

We all get raises at the swamp this year. We didn't last year, and our personal time is probably gone for good.

Which isn't too bad at all. The company could just close stores with little fuss or muss. We're held by a private investment firm.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Me and mine have been waiting nearly four months to find out whats happening with our "raises." Our (union) contract expired and the only information either side has given us is that an extension has been signed and that they're negotiating the matter. The last one gave those of us at the high end of things something around 1.8-2.0% annual raise, so I'm not terribly optimistic and keep wondering if this will be the year I finally leave my comfort zone and seek more profitable employment.

Comment

At the beginning of last year, salaried employees had their pay cut 10% (ouch!!) and all of us lost our 401k match and had to take furlough(s). Effective today, salary employees get their 10% back, yay! Now if only the rest of us can get back the rest of the bennies.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Last year I was got a twenty cent raise so that I was making twenty cents over minimum wage an hour.

This year the minimum wage went up by sixty cents. I'm currently making ten cents an hour over minimum wage.

So I'm making seventy cents more this year then I did last year.

I think the unionized girls got a raise though.
              Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
              Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

I'm getting an extra dollar per hour starting September, as that'll mark 1 year with the company.

My boss is still making little more than twice what I am. And I only know this because he often has me deposit his paycheck. ><

On the plus side, I get to drive his Lexus to the bank.

Granted, I work for a very small but fast-growing small-business accounting firm. As in we just hired another person cause we're getting more accounts than 4 people can handle.
                "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

My company use to give everyone raises every year, how much the raise would be depended on how long you have been with the company, but last year "due to the economy" they were suspended. You can imagine how happy we were when we found out raises would be reinstated but "due to the economy" everyone gets an .08 raise. Oh happy day. What makes it even better is the fact that the owner went out and bought a 10 million dollar used yacht.

Comment

my boss is in the process of selling the cookie shop. he said that a week or so before he sells, he's gonna give me (assistant manager) and L (manager) raises and kinda sneak it in without the new owner really realizing it. she's getting paid $2 less that he promised when he hired her on and i'm getting paid minimum wage, even though i've (technically sorta kinda) been there longer than everyone else.
                    's gonna suck tho...once he sells, the store's gonna shut down for a bit to remodel. so...prolly 'bout a month or so.
                    but i digress
                    raises. woo. everyone in customer related jobs should be paid more than they are, just for putting up with crap. for every stupid question...$5 bonus.
                    If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
                    ^_^

Comment

I got one due to increasing experience and responsibilities. I knew it was coming, did not expect it to be that much though.

About 15% more before tax -> roughly 100 Euros per month more in my pocket.

I was very very pleased
                      not a native speaker of the English language, but trying!

Comment

<Hospital> is really a sinking ship. And it's going down fast. When I first got hired, there was a 2% raise for everyone part-time or full-time. So me being PRN, I didn't get a raise. Now productivity is down so hours are being cut, people are being laid off and units are being shut down. I've been trying to find other employment, but I work in a very specialized field that's not hiring right now. I was really lucky to get the job I have now.
                        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I just got a 2.46% not-a-raise. They're calling it an 'adjustment', because allegedly I, as a state employee, don't make as much as I would in a similar job in the 'private sector'.

Whatever. I'll take it!

Comment

I got a 30 cent raise. Our raises are supposedly related to how well you score on your review. I scored slightly above average (they are pretty harsh and like to nitpick).

Anyway, it's better than nothing. No raises last year, our break times were cut down, we lost some other perks, and the overtime doesn't end. However, all that overtime screws us out of the bonuses we could be getting. Sure, we should be happy we get one at all, but it's angering to hear "Well, since you guys do so much overtime and it's costing so much money, bonuses had to be slim."
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I've gotten one....ever. $2 in 5 years. It was swiftly followed by a commission cut of nearly half >_<
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X