This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I REALLY screwed this one up...

Over the weekend, I rang up a large wine order. A bit under $700 or so to be exact. On express, but that's a whole other can of worms.

One of the wines they got, they got a case - with this particular wine, there's 6 to a case instead of 12. When you buy at least 6 bottles of wine in my store, you get 10% knocked off anyway. And they had special ordered that case of wine, it's not one we normally carry.

Well, today my boss asked me about the order and asked if I remembered it. I did, he asked if they got all 6 in that case. I said yes. He said that I apparently rang up 4 bottles instead of 6, and the wine department is super pissed about it, since it's something like $50 or $60 a bottle. Shit... he mentioned this on his way out the door for the day though. Shit shit shit shit shit SHIT.

I asked my asst dept manager about it, she said she's already gone to bat for me with him and brought up the fact that (a) it was EXTREMELY busy and (b) they ran a $700 wine order through express when they had no business going through a 10 items or less line (I rang over $10,000, on express, that day). She doesn't think anything will come from it aside from maybe getting bitched out. I'm hoping that next time my boss works, he doesn't call me and say "Hey can you come into the office for a minute? Bring a pen and some kleenex with you, and oh yeah bring your till".

I really pride myself on my accuracy, so this is like a kick in the balls for me.

Well, no news is good news, right? Nothing else has been mentioned of it... *phew*

Comment

A bullet dodged? Good.

My place has a 'no blame' culture, which is quite frankly bollocks. When someone who has a work ethic - such as you - errs, they take note and avoid it in future. Fine in those circumstances. Problem is, it allows the serial fuck ups to continue. I can only trust that you don't have that there.

Rapscallion

Comment

Oh believe me, our registers track e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.g. The number of times you hit void, what tare weights you put in, how many times you flip back and forth through menus, how many times you pass a barcode before it gets scanned, even every time you weigh something even if it's not expecting weight... they have keyloggers on steroids.

Discounts in particular get tracked very closely. And special orders.

I've never had a single talking to about something relating to anything on my register until that day, and it was just my boss asking if they got all 6 bottles and said the journal showed I only rang 4 of them up. Thinking back on it, I did accidentally hit 4 the first time, but I could have sworn I hit QTY 6 immediately afterwards.

Our "serial" screwups get a talking to if it appears to be excessive or intentional. I can't even remember the last time I had to get a manager to approve a void (if you go over X amount of voids in a transaction or void more than $20 in a transaction, manager has to approve every void after that).

Comment

What? Your place is reasonable?? Where do you work, man!
          I'm glad you're not catching shit for a screw-up like that. I'd be nervous too.
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
          X