This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ergonomics--aargh!

Please bear with me as I vent a bit of steam.

I work in medical billing. It's a 9-5ish office job. I spend a lot of time sitting down at my desk. I got one of these (http://www.nadachair.com) which has helped with low back issues, but generally I have the sense to get up and stretch when I need to.

No, I don't, my company says. I need to get up and participate in mandatory ergonomic exercises twice a day, at 10 am and at 3 pm. These rather silly, ineffective "exercises" are led by someone who has no formal training (she is part of a "safety committee") and we are required to sign off on a sheet. Disciplinary action can be taken; we cannot opt out of this.

It's not a HUGE inconvenience, but both times fall within my busiest times of the day, when I'm doing research and really don't want to be yanked out of my headspace to do side bends and "executive stretches."

It's the company's way of heading off worker's compensation suits for fatigue and strain-related injuries, and it's just all so...silly.
    He loves the world...except for all the people.
    --Men at Work

If it's being led by someone with no formal training in proper stretching, someone like say a certified athletic trainer or at least a well-trained athlete, coach, or PE teacher, it is indeed possible that they'll lead you in a stretch that just isn't right for someone they're forcing to comply with this stretching. They closed the door to one lawsuit by opening the door to another one. But then again, if it makes sense, it's not allowed.
    "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
    "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
    My MySpace
    My LiveJournal

Comment

Offices are weird places to work at. I recently got in trouble for actually doing exercises at my desk. They said it was a health risk.
      "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Working...
      X