X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor parking reserved; "Nancy's" idea re: big white sign

Long post

Visitor parking was reserved for an event Friday. The dept. having the event did not want the full sign on since that confuses people. So the open sign was on instead.

There are a couple of options regarding where to place the big white sign stating visitor parking is closed for a special event, each with the good points & bad points.

One:
    Place the sign in front of the entrance gate to Visitor parking
    • I have to go outside to move the sign
    • But I will have more control over the situation

Two:
    Place the sign in front of the Visitor parking booth
    • I do not have to go outside
    • But the open sign is on, & there is nothing blocking the gate
    • I cannot guarantee anyone who is not here for the event will not enter the garage

According to "Andrea", the Director of Parking & Transportation, if anyone not on the event list wants to park in the garage, & they will not take no for an answer, I have to tell them that they may receive a citation from campus police for parking in the garage when it is reserved. I have to write down their license plate number, & either call the parking ofice who then will call campus police or I can call campus police myself. I do not want to deal with the hassle.

"Nancy's" suggestion was #2.

I feel that sometimes a suggestion to make things easier for you can actually make it harder for you.

Around 74 guests were supposed to arrive for the event according to the guest list I received, but only 27 guests arrived. Since there are only 55 "regular" spots in Visitor parking, the remaining guests would park in the parking garage at the College of Business.

I let "Nancy" know how many people had arrived for the event around 11:30 a.m. Friday. She said she would call the dept. manager of the dept. over the event. Several minutes later she called me, & said I release a small amount of spots. Beginning at 12 p.m. no one else arrived for the event, & so I released the remaining spots so anyone else could park in the garage as long as they knew about the $5.00 parking fee & were willing to pay that fee.

Then many people arrived for placement testing. I had to tell them they could not park in visitor parking & that they had to find other parking. The first person who came Friday morning around 7:30 a.m. to take a placement test asked "is there anyone else I can speak to" after I told her no 3 times in 3 different ways. She also asked me if there is free parking anywhere around the campus. There is no free parking anywhere around the campus, & so I had to tell her no. I called the parking office, & she spoke to "Nancy". She asked her "is there anyway I can park in visitor parking for 5 hours to take a placement test?" "Nancy" said no. She looked upset & irritated, but she had to find other parking.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 07-24-2010, 03:37 PM.
Working...
X