This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communication mudslide

Well, this one's for the books... specifically those dedicated towards how NOT to do things.

2 weeks ago: Customer calls to report a defective component on their device and requests an RMA. RMA is issued. Customer emphasizes importance of expediency to get the device back ASAP. Has it shipped next-day air. Oh wait, no, their shipping department doesn't get the memo and it goes out ground.

1 week ago: Device arrives. I service it, fix the problem, and send it to QA to be packaged and shipped. No worries, right? The importance of speed is not properly conveyed as the head of the department that handles the devices I service is the one that was told that it needed to be shipped overnight. He tells me. I am unaware of who needs to be told this and assume that the shipping department knows this as I haven't been told otherwise. Woops, no, it gets shipped ground. Customer calls the next day, wondering where package is, not too upset, but frustrated.

Today: Customer calls. Where's my package? I look up the serial number, serial number leads us to a vauge 'RMA #7' reference. Shipping manager can't help us. Walk over to shipping room and the fellow that packages things manages to find out the tracking number by looking up the date of the shippment and the recipient, very good.

Track it, Shipping has an 'exception' due to 'bad weather'.

Call up, find out that the truck the package is on is stuck behind a mud slide somewhere unknown. No idea if it's in the mudslide or just caught in a massive traffic jam... for a week.

Oh, and, best of all, it was supposed to ship to Texas, but is, instead, going to Washington DC! Why? Uhm... no idea, actually as it's for a division in Texas, but it's listed in the database as Washington DC.

So. To summarize. Rush order repair job that should've gotten back to the customer in 2-4 days, is now, 2 weeks later, stuck in a mudslide going to the wrong end of the country.

Marvelous.
    Last edited by Pojodan; 07-28-2010, 09:25 PM.

Ouch. Hopefully the customer is understanding about this.

I had something similar happen with a customer special order. It was already going to take longer than normal because it had to ship from a different (much further away) warehouse, then when the customer came in the day it was due to arrive, we checked the status and found that the train it was on had derailed!
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

The customer found it amusing in a 'why is this happening to me?' sort of way.

Comment

Do you notice how the orders getting messed up are always the ones everyone tries to take special care to make sure things are done correctly?
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Special care
          Has been taken
          To make you aware:
          You're forsaken

Stephen Stills (Buffalo Springfield)
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
          X