This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compliments on Clothes I Hate

I bought a shirt for work, not because I like it, but because I thought it would be a good shirt to wear to work. It's a modified polo (I hate polo shirts) with horizontal stripes (which I also hate). It has gathers on either side of the buttons, which causes the stripes to point at my cleavage (not that there's any cleavage uncovered, mind you) and gathers at the shoulders, an attempt to make the shirt more feminine, I suppose.

I have gotten more compliments on this shirt than anything else I have EVER worn to work. Out of courtesy, I haven't told anybody that I don't actually like the shirt. It just ticks me off that people like this shirt more than the clothes that I think are more flattering and professional looking.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

What one believes is good on them and what others view as good on them rarely are the same. Just check out the show "What Not to Wear"

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
      Just check out the show "What Not to Wear"
      Um, so what are you saying...?

A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        Um, so what are you saying...?

O.o That people see others in clothes differently then they see themselves?

Comment

I get the same, but it's normally for appearing in girly-cut tee shirts instead of my usual unisex ones or slightly lower cut ones. Off course, I mostly hang out with geeky guys, so maybe it's the geeky phrases on my shirts?

It does suck though. You think you are the best person for picking out stuff that would look nice on you, then everyone thinks it's something else that's flattering.
          Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
          http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

I have a love/hate relationship with the fact that when I think I look like shit, people think I look great.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
              ... when I think I look like shit, people think I look great.
              Exactly! For example, I hate wearing baggy, shapeless clothes. But I get the most compliments on things that fit me like a tent.
              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Considering the plethora of outfits that enable the casual observer to read someone's lips...

I'll let that sink in for a minute. I'm a naughty, naughty boy.

Anyway, considering the sheer numbers of outfits that are distinctly revealing, I think it quite possible that outfits that do allow something to the imagination would be more attractive to ... at least some, if not many.

Rapscallion

Comment

My rule of thumb is based on the wording of the compliment.

"You look nice/cute/great/rested" wins over " I like your shirt/slacks/dress/etc."

To me it means that the clothing is unflattering enough to draw attention to itself and does not really do much for my overall look. But then I feel like a shlub most of the time anyway, so what do I know?
                  Make a list of important things to do today.
                  At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
                  Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

I like semi-fitted. Fitting enough to actually display body shape, loose enough to skim over the lumps and bumps and so forth.

I'm lucky - my best friend has a good eye for what looks good on me, so we can go shopping together and as long as we both like a garment, it's a winner.

One thing I have noticed - sometimes it's worth having a garment 'tent' over a certain section of the body to balance something else. I have nicely muscular calves, so they're something it could be worth showing off - but if I wear wide-legged pants, it balances my broad shoulders visually and the overall 'look' works better.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I've been wearing looser shirts simply because it's been way hotter this summer than it was last summer (last summer here was one of the coldests on record). At first I worried I'd look pregnant or larger than I am, but I just stick to the slightly loose shirts, and they look pretty nice on me.

Comment

I get compliments on stuff my mom hates. I'm more of a comfort over appearance type of person, so I'll wear baggy pants, long shorts designed for men, and large T-shirts with funny messages on them. My hair looks like crap 90% of the time. She always tells me I look terrible, but other people give me compliments. They like my hair, my ear plugs, whatever. It freaks me out every time I get a compliment because I think I look like shit most of the time.
                        Check out my art: http://mechanicold.deviantart.com/

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                          I bought a shirt for work, not because I like it, but because I thought it would be a good shirt to wear to work. It's a modified polo (I hate polo shirts) with horizontal stripes (which I also hate). It has gathers on either side of the buttons, which causes the stripes to point at my cleavage (not that there's any cleavage uncovered, mind you) and gathers at the shoulders, an attempt to make the shirt more feminine, I suppose.

I have gotten more compliments on this shirt than anything else I have EVER worn to work. Out of courtesy, I haven't told anybody that I don't actually like the shirt. It just ticks me off that people like this shirt more than the clothes that I think are more flattering and professional looking.

You have just described my least favorite shirt. ICK. Gross gross gross! I am so sorry. It is possible that you look good in it, but, I tend to follow the "if you don't like it, then you don't look good in it" rule, because so much of style is actually having the balls to pull it off. If you're timid and in a ga-ga worthy dress-- and you feel stupid in it-- people can tell. ... Usually.
                          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I need a Gaga dress. I would wear it to the gym.
                            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

What's a Gaga dress? Not the one that shoots flames out your boobs, I hope.

Comment

Working...
                              X