This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter of the law?

So I've seen mentioned before that if a customer starts talking about involving lawyers or legal activity against you or the company you are working for that the conversation has to stop and must be conducted through legal counsel? Some of you are pretty good at some of the legalities of this all was just wondering if I could get some clarification of this. My boss and I were talking about this earlier.

It's not required by law. However, some places have a company policy like that as a result of our lawsuit-happy customs.

It is, however, often a very good way to cut short a conversation that's going nowhere. It's most effective over the phone. It's least effective if someone is badgering you for a refund. (If no refund is in question and it's face to face, you need to followup with "And now, sir/madam, I'm going to have to request that you leave the premises." Obviously, it's usable only when company policy does not forbid the ejecting of rude customers. Then again, you probably want to not work for someone who doesn't allow you to kick out people who need to be kicked out.)

Comment

Normally, people threaten lawsuits over things that have no legal bearing. When they do that, I just pretend not to hear their statement. Then I tell them to have a nice day. If they persist, I tell them to call the corporate number.

Comment

Working...
      X