This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not taking any bets

This isn't sucky, and not really stupid either, it just amused me, so I'm sharing it over here.

I had a customer e-mail me asking if I took commissions for plushes, and I said yes. She tells me what she wants, and I explain that in that particular case (having to do with copyright) there's some extra effort involved, as I don't take normal commissions for that sort of thing. She tells me she'll pay any amount and do anything I want, she just MUST have this plush! MUST!!!! Anything!!!!

So I explain her options and what she can actually do... and she stops replying to my e-mails.

Now maybe it's coincidence and she just happened to go to bed. But I wouldn't take any bets on it. Would you?

This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened, and it cracks me up every time*. In fact I get the "I want one so bad!" thing all the time. "OMG that's so awesome, it's the best thing ever! I really want one!" "Okay, here's my price structure, here's how long they take to make, I accept these forms of payment." "..."

Yeah, guess you didn't really want one after all! And I'm not taking the $2k stuff here, I understand when somebody gets sudden sticker shock and changes their mind on that stuff, I'm talking the $25 stuff, and sometimes even the $5 stuff. If you desperately want it and think it's the best thing ever, but you wouldn't pay five bucks for it, you're kind of strange to me.

*Well, except when I'm flat broke and desperate for commissions, in which case it kind of annoys me, but usually I'm doing well enough to just be amused.

(P.S. A word of advice, I'm quite honest and don't take advantage of this sort of thing, but never start your price negotiations with an artist by saying you'll pay anything! Seriously, bad idea.)
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Or, when you have not actually sold something yet, and have actually just made a prototype model, the customer will ask "So, how much will it cost?"
    I hate that so much. I absolutely hate pricing things, I end up asking them whatever number pops into my head first, which is normally $5.
    Of course, I draft patterns for free, maybe I should be charging for that too...
    My mum still says my prices are too high
    I couldn't take advantage of a customer if I tried! I'm way too nervous, I hate telling them the price because I'm afraid they'll think I'm ripping them off.
    Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
    http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Five dollars? For a hand-made plush? Kid, you need to raise prices. Make sure you're covering cost for all materials, plus some extra for time and profit. I'm pretty sure the mass-produced stuff goes for more money. Just remember, hand-crafted good will cost more than mass produced. People should expect that.

Remember, you are allowed to make some money off of your work. If the customer doesn't want to pay for your work, let them go elsewhere. As long as you are happy with your prices, the market will decide if your work is worth it. It sounds like it is to me.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Seriously, think about how much time you put into something and what your time is worth. I've taken up knitting again and I had one person inquire about having me make something for them to give as a gift; I told them it would be cheaper to buy something from Saks. My time is very valuable, especially to me.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

*laughs* Don't worry about me! $5 gets you this:

I figure that's about right! My actual plushes cost a LOT more. I make a living at this, full time. I'm pretty good at pricing at this point.
          The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Comment

ok that is the cutest thing EVER!!!!!!! I could see those all over my office. could you PM me your site? *bats eyes* please?
            Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I can attest Sparks makes pretties. My grandkids sleep with the fuzzies she made them!

Comment

Holy crap! That is amazing!

Yeah, I've decided that once I start selling stuff, I will set higher prices. All of my materials thus far have been given to me, so I'm not sure how to price things yet. However,

One of those is what I sold for $5. I know it's a crappy phone pic, but they are little unicorns, probably about 5" tall.

And spark, Trade? I totally want that fuzzy thing!
                Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*

Comment

Pricing is hard, especially when you're first starting out. Having a reputation and a large customer base lets you charge what your time is worth, without those a lot of beginners have to under-charge to get any customers. And building that customer base and reputation takes time and work. $5 is definitely on the cheap side for those guys, they're adorable. I'd be happy to do a trade with you for one of my finger fuzzies. PM me?

Comment

I too can attest to Sparks' awesomeness.

Got a Tail from her last year, and getting paws any day now! And I *cannot* wait.

Comment

Your paws are in pieces all over my room, along with like... six other pairs. I'm up to my eyebrows in paws right now.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                        Your paws are in pieces all over my room, along with like... six other pairs. I'm up to my eyebrows in paws right now.
                        The paws are trying to get into your brain and tell you to finish them, perhaps? Or maybe they are just all over the place, being paws.

Comment

Working...
                        X