This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Label your food!!

What's so hard about labeling your food before you put it in the fridge? Every Tuesday morning at Sam's Club, I clean out the fridge in the break room. So if it doesn't have someone's name on it along with a date then I toss it. I have no idea how long it's been in there if it's not marked in some way.
    I've had people bitch at me cause I tossed out their stuff. I tell them to talk to management cause management WILL back me up. There are TWO notices on the fridge that state that if your food isn't labeled with a name & date then it will be tossed out. But it seems too many of the associates don't read cause every week I find "mystery food" in the fridge that I have to toss in the garbage. Then they have the nerve to bitch & complain when I do that & I tell them "read the sign!!"
    I'm not going to start wondering if I should leave something in there. That's not my job. Cleaning the fridge IS.
    There's no reason why anything needs to be in there for longer than a typical work shift. At the end of the day, it ought to be EMPTY. Take your shit home!!!!

happens at my store too. No name and no date means it goes in the trash. People bitch every week though. The one assoc wanted to sue the store. We have 2 signs on the fridge plus its on the meeting board.

My biggest pet peeve right now is that all of night shift decided they were all gonna by half gallons to drink during the week. so the fridge is full of those its hard to fit your lunch in.

Comment

I think we used to have problems with that at the library a few years ago, but it stopped after whomever was in charge of cleaning the fridge that month would send out "reminder" e-mails - basically, just to say "The staff fridge will be cleaned on X date, if you have anything which you do NOT want thrown out, please lable and date it)

Comment

Literally EVERY job I've had has this same problem. The fridge cleaning days are announced and/or posted and EVERY SINGLE TIME, someone bitches because their stuff (unlabeled) got tossed.
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

It's because of shit like this that we don't use the tiny fridge provided at work, even though it gets cleaned regularly it still smells of old food.
          Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Cleaning people are told to, empty the fridge.

If everyone stored a snack, a coffee creamer in the fridge there would be no room for anything. At one point a woman on the floor brought in a crap-ton of vegetables fruits and yogurts and put them in the fridge. Basicly so she could fix herself a snack at any time. We are talking about both crispers and a good part of the lower shelf. It all went in the trash. You can believe she raised holy hell, and big boss had to tell her off.

Comment

We had a sign on ours, saying everything would be tossed on Friday.

Heed it or weep.

Comment

There is a sign on our breakroom fridge, of which EVERYONE has to read when even going past the fridge, to put everything you use on a daily basis or for a single shift in the locker or car after you use them, or it WILL get thrown out on a certain day of the week during cleaning. Even if it's on the breakroom table, if it's not currently being used [as in, nature calls during lunch and you need to go right now before you finish your meal] it gets tossed -- there's only a limited amount of space.

Former co-worker had a VERY expensive bowl and plate on the breakroom table. Very expensive bowl and plate isn't being used at the time, totally empty, bowl and plate get thrown out when cleaning time comes around. SM gets bitched at and asked to pay for said bowl and plate. SM tells former co-worker in the nicest way possible, to shove the cost of the bowl and plate up where the sun don't shine and to next time read the signs posted in the breakroom.

Because, you know, the breakroom table isn't a dumping ground for empty plates and bowls and cups.
                Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Where I work, we don't have a fridge. If we bring cold items from home or a place to eat out, they can be put in the dairy box.
                  My Fanfic Page
                  My Fiction Page
                  My Social Group
                  My Pet Social Group
                  My You Tube Channel

Comment

Same rules at my Volde-Mart supercenter. While I haven't heard any stories about people being angry stuff got tossed by maintenance, I don't put anything in the fridges, either. I think we have three, but bleh. Even the head of loss prevention says she can't understand why people use them. But really, maintenance puts up with enough, cleaning up after disgusting SC's and the like without having their coworkers bitch at them, too.
                    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth sweetj82 View Post
                      The one assoc wanted to sue the store. in.
                      Sue the store. Over tossed food. Now THAT, my friends, rivals even SC levels of entitlement and audacity.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                        Sue the store. Over tossed food. Now THAT, my friends, rivals even SC levels of entitlement and audacity.
                        And the scary thing is, (under US law anyway) they might well win that lawsuit, assuming they argue the right way (conversion, for example).

Comment

I had to keep food in the fridge. Usually little snacks but occasionally I'd bring way more than I could eat, or it would make me sick or whatever. However, my stuff was clearly labeled as mine and the snacks were in a plastic box that said "Pregnancy Food Do No Touch". I'd leave something in the fridge over night if I was going to be the opening manager the next morning so I could have something on my stomach to keep the nausea away until all the important stuff was done.

My mom brought me lunch occasionally when I was supposed to be on lunch (I never got to take lunch when I was supposed to) and I'd throw it in the fridge until I could actually get to lunch. SM decided to clean the fridge one day without telling anybody he was going to do it and just tossed everything, including the stuff that was labeled. Yeah, he got to buy everybody dinner that day and was put in charge of taking out all the trash cans I had to be nauseous in.
                          "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

The one assoc wanted to sue the store.
                            They wanted to spend a few thousand bucks so they could recoup the $5.00 or less they spent on the item that was tossed?
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I have to say though, I resent the idea that food gets thrown out if it's not labeled. All the more reason to buy lunch in the in-house McDonalds so I don't have to worry.

I suggest a better rule: If it's not your food, keep your hands off of it!
                              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                              X