This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlikely "Heros"

So yesterday, me and my co-workers were out on 75, southbound lanes. We had just finished weed whacking the guardrail underneath the overpass when our morning took an eventful turn.
    My coworker A turned and gasped. I looked over to the Northbound lanes and witnessed something I never thought I would ever witness first hand: A black pick-up spiraling and flipping into one of our 15 ft signs. In all honesty, all I saw was a black blur taking out the sign. But we all knew what it was. We kind of sat there, frozen for a few seconds, letting what we just saw sink in. I then told our supervisor to call 911 and me and A took off across four lanes of traffic as fast as traffic would allow. We ran down into a VERY deep ditch, (so deep as we could hardly see traffic.) and saw the most wreckage I have ever seen in my life. The car ended up sideways in a small creek just at the bottom of the overpass hill. We ran down to the truck to look through the passenger side windows, only to fall into a small drop off that led in to the creek. We step back up and peek over the side. A little boy looks up at us from his car seat, hanging sideways but thankfully still attached to the seat. He cried a little and we told him it was going to be ok. I looked into the drivers seat and a woman laid there, buried underneath various things that had been flung around in the cab. We called down to her, but she didn't make any response. I did notice that the papers laying on her head were moving, which told me she was, thankfully, breathing. We tried to figure out a way to get into the cab, first to turn the (oddlly enough) still running engine off and second to get the little boy out. I was planning on just dropping down through the passenger side window when A said the back window was busted out. So, I climbed in through the window, sitting on the driver's side, passenger window. the little boy was eye level with me, so I grabbed his hand and told him everything was going to be ok. The look in his eyes was unbearable, but he was ok, that's all that mattered. I squeezed in between the driver's seat the side of the truck and turned the engine off, careful not to disturb the boy's mother. Two other motorists, who happen to have been driving beside the woman when the crash happened came up to the truck. I unlatched the little boy and lifted him up to the man, who took him out through the same passenger side window I first saw him through. I then went to work trying to uncover the mother. She started moving, so I started talking to her. I asked her if she was hurt anywhere besides her head (which connected with the window, evidence of the spider crack and the blood on both her and the window). She didn't really respone, but I kept at it, trying to bring her out the shock at least. I noticed another car seat in the car, empty and asked her if another child had been in the car. She just started counting up and I prayed that there hadn't been. I stared untangling her from a pair of jumper cables that had gotten around her when the EMTs showed up. I crawled out to a convoy of state patrols, fire trucks and ambulances. As I went to stand over with the other witnesses and my coworkers, I noticed the woman's blood all over my hands and a few spots on my jeans. It took them 30 minutes and the jaws of life to get the woman out, mostly by just cutting the top of the truck off. She was fully concious by this time. The Patrol took statements from both the witnesses and took the little boy and his mom to the hospital. We stayed and helped with the clean up. We found out as the ambulance was leaving that there was not another child in the car, thankfully. The witnesses who were beside her told us and the patrol that she slowly just started veering off the side of the road until she hit the guardrail head on, thus causing her to flip into the sign and finally come to rest in the ditch. The guardrail was what saved her life. It took most of the force and slowed her down. If she would have missed it, she would have hit either the very large steel I-beams of the sign head on, causing the car to either split in half or slam into the creek, which would have flipped the car onto it's roof onto the hill of the overpass, which would have definetely killed her and her son. Or she would have drove straight into the creek or the tree and would have injured herself far worse than just a scratch on her head.
    Damage report: One completely wrecked truck, one 15 ft sign taken out, one 20ft I-beam taken out and 30ft of guardrail taken out and flattened. We haven't heard anything about how the mom and the little boy are doing, but according to the news at noon yesterday, they were both doing fine.
    I never expected to see anything like that while working. Sure we're on the highway all day, but we never expect to be the first ones on the scene, let alone watch it as it happens right in front of us. What really freaked us out was we had just whacked that very guardrail not even a week before that. We kept thinking, if we hadn't done that side first, we could have been a part of that, maybe even have been the only fatalities in it. Today, our big boss announced that we would recieve certificates from both the state and the state highway patrol. It feels as if everyone is blowing out of porportion what we did. We helped out, called for help and did all we could, but I wouldn't really consider us heros as everyone keeps calling us. Maybe I'm just being humble, but what we did was our job. Not just as highway workers, but as human beings. I feel it's unfair that we're being congratulated and praised when others who do the samething everyday hardly, if ever, get regconized. But I do thank the Goddess that we were there, because if all of us hadn't seen what happened, I don't think anyone would have found them. You could not see the wreckage from the highway, the ditch was so deep. People round here drive by missing signs and busted guardrail all the time and never think twice about it. I'm just glad that both of them are ok and can return to their families safe and sound.
    Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

:O Oh wow. I'm so glad everyone's okay!

That little boy and his mom were lucky there were sensible people on the scene, keeping everything calm.
    EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS CANCER AND MADNESS. (Gravekeeper)
    ~-~
    Also, I have been told that I am sarcastic. I don’t know where anyone would get such an impression.(Gravekeeper again)

Comment

No, you're heros.

Look up 'bystander effect' or 'Kitty Genovese syndrome'. There's a high probability when accident or tragedy strikes that people will ignore it, especially if there's multiple other witnesses.

Then of those who don't ignore it, there's a high probability that they'll either freeze up or panic. You all kept your heads. (The momentary freeze up doesn't count - even highly trained first responders can have a freeze up like that.)

Of those who act, a hell of a lot of them act incorrectly.

You lot:
      * acted.
      * contacted emergency services.
      * determined likely danger to self and victims, and acted to neutralise it.
      * determined that both patients were breathing, and looked for other major trauma such as bleeding arteries.
      * moved only the patient who was already strapped to an effective body-board. (I think I'd have chosen to let the ambulance officers move the child, but it's an iffy call - moving him by the child safety seat was a good call!)
      * did NOT move the patient who was likely to have spinal injury.
      * acted to reassure both patients.
      * left the situation to the professionals once they arrived.

Exactly correct, with the possible exception of moving the child - but I wasn't there, and don't know what level of distress his position was putting him in.

Acting - and acting correctly - is heroic. You're in the small percentage of the population who is truly and naturally suited to handling emergencies.

Make sure your first aid certifications are up to date at all times. We need people like you. And if you think you'd be interested, consider going into fire-fighting, paramedical, emergency-coordination, or other emergency-response type work.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        'Kitty Genovese syndrome'.
        this story is so depressing, i recommend not looking this up unless you want to be depressed all day long

edit: i concur with the "get into emergency services if its your thing." acting appropriately in an emergency is invaluable.
        Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

What you guys did was awesome, I think you're heroes. I'm glad nobody was seriously injured. Did they ever find out what happened? Did the mother fall asleep at the wheel or something?

Comment

Side note:

If you're ever in serious trouble and need help, make yourself a specific person's problem. You're much more likely to get the help you need.

Unless Tithera's around. Then you'll get help.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

No, you are definately heroes.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                Side note:

If you're ever in serious trouble and need help, make yourself a specific person's problem. You're much more likely to get the help you need.

Unless Tithera's around. Then you'll get help.
                Absolutely. The best way to combat the effects of "distributed responsibility" in which people feel that "someone else will handle it" is to assign personal responsibility. This is why "Someone call 911!" may very well result in nothing happening, while "You! Got a phone? Call 911" will get positive results.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                  No, you are definately heroes.
                  Certainly, doing the right thing under extreme stress is heroic enough for me.

Comment

I have thought about becoming an EMT, but I stuck with psychology instead. If I stay in this country (which is 50/50 at the moment) then I am definetely going to become a volunteer firewoman for sure. It seems my family has an inclination towards helping people with me wanting to be a psychologist for troubled teens, my older sister a social worker for family services and my younger sister aspiring to become a doctor.
                    According to the EMTs, the woman had a history of seizures, so they think she might have had one when it happened. Originally, the people beside her thought she might have been texting, but the indents cut into the shoulder in the pavement (called rumble strips) that when tires pass over them, they issue loud bumps and vibrate the car, are there to wake up people who have fallen asleep or those who aren't paying attention to road, to let them know they're close to driving off the road. If she had been texting, she would have heard and/or felt them and corrected herself. Reports said that she was slowly veering off the road, as if she didn't have her hands on the wheel anymore. Plus, she kept at a constant speed (probably due to cruise control) as she went.
                    We thought it was the best idea to get the boy out because 1) he was scarred and I didn't want him to see his mom bleeding and incoharent (she didn't remember she even had her son in the truck with her until after she fully regained conciousness) 2) the motor was off, but the battery was still on (the steering column was so busted, it wouldn't turn fully off) and we didn't know if there was any leaking gas or not and 3) he was hanging sideways with the car seat, the belts probably making him uncomfortable. I checked to see if he responed to pain anywhere before taking him out, but all he had was that scrape on his chin. Plus, we just wanted to comfort him and keep him from seeing the EMTs working on his mom. I know that can be scary, since I watched my dad get worked on after his accident and I was 16 at the tiime. I really do hope he doesn't remember any of that when he gets older, because I can attest that the nightmares that follow memories like that are not good.
                    Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

Comment

My (then 4 year old) younger daughter was in the car when we had the accident that put me out of work for over 8 months. Because of a really smart doctor, who cleaned up my face, and made sure I got to reassure her (I kept asking for proof she was okay) on the way to the CAT scan or MRI (forget which 20 years later), her strongest memories of the accident now are that 1. It really surprised her that Mommy could fly.
                      2. She was a very good girl because she stayed buckled in and didn't unbuckle to get the apples on the floor in front of her.

So because you got him out, distracted him so he didn't see Mommy all messed up, it's strongly possible his memories will be around how nice people are who clean the highways up.

Good job all of you. A hero is someone who sees what needs to be done and just does it. you all qualify.

Comment

Quoth Tithera View Post
                        We thought it was the best idea to get the boy out because 1) he was scarred and I didn't want him to see his mom bleeding and incoharent (she didn't remember she even had her son in the truck with her until after she fully regained conciousness) 2) the motor was off, but the battery was still on (the steering column was so busted, it wouldn't turn fully off) and we didn't know if there was any leaking gas or not and 3) he was hanging sideways with the car seat, the belts probably making him uncomfortable. I checked to see if he responed to pain anywhere before taking him out, but all he had was that scrape on his chin..
                        Point 2 alone makes a good cause for moving him. In combination with the other points... yeah. Makes sense.

Comment

First off, well done. As best I can tell, you did what you should have. You considered the dangers and decided to move the victim that was reasonably safe to do so, and monitor the situation on the one it was possibly not safe to move. That is exactly the first steps of any emergency first response.

As to the freezing, don't worry about it. You had just witnessed something far outside your normal experience, and your mind needed a moment to take it all in and process it. I did the same the two times I've had to render emergency aid, and most people I've talked to tell me they also had the same reaction.. Put it from your mind. It takes a lot of training and exposure to react faster than you guys did. The main thing is that you did react and do something about it.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Heck, a lot of trained people freeze too! And some don't exactly 'freeze', but their body stays still while their mind processes the situation too quickly for them to be able to exactly say what they were thinking.

It's possible you didn't really freeze, but were rapid-processing.

Comment

Just a bit confused.

Quoth Tithera View Post
                              We tried to figure out a way to get into the cab, first to turn the (oddlly enough) still running engine off
                              Quoth Tithera View Post
                              2) the motor was off, but the battery was still on
                              A still running engine, but a motor that was off?
                              I don't know a lot about cars, I admit, but which is it?

Does a live battery constitute a still running engine?

Not trying to nitpick.
                              Unfortunately, history around here has taught me to read all heroic and epic tales with a fine tooth comb, so when I see inconsistencies in stories, it nags at me until it gets cleared up.
                              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                              X