Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They turned the engine off, then got the boy out. Later noted that the battery was still on because the steering column was damaged and the ignition could not be turned fully off.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
      Does a live battery constitute a still running engine?
      My guess: The steering column was bent so that the key couldn't turn all the way to off. Probably Tithera could turn the ignition off to stop the engine but couldn't turn the key to the next position where lights, AC, radio and such is turned off. Some things never turn off, blinkers, brakelights, horn and at least a trickle for the radio will be live unless you go and pull the wires from the battery.

Comment

In most cars, the first "click" when you turn the key turns on everything that the battery runs. That's how you can listen to the radio without having the engine idling. In some cars, you can control the power windows without actually turning on the car. Not mine, though.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

this reminds me of the two times i've seen car accidents... the first time, I was roughly ten or eleven, I don't quite remember my age, all i remember was that i was in BC. Anyhoo, we were driving in my grampa's truck at the time, my older sister and my brother in the back of the half-cab with me, and my littlest sister in the front. I remember grampa swearing loudly and pulling over, then hurridly getting out of the truck. He came back a couple minutes later and told me to hand him the grey blanket i had on my lap.

I remember being weirded out at his expression but handing it over, upon which time he turned and ran back down the slight embankment to where a car lay on it's side, hood and roof towards us, and a man helping a blond woman out of the car, then another man, who was covered in blood. The woman had a cut on her head and seemed fine but dazed, and the man was bleeding from his arm. I think I blanked out the rest from there, since I don't remember anything else. But I know it happened.

the second car accident i witnessed was a couple years ago when I was coming back from visiting my grandparents with my dad, and we were talking. Dad swore and I looked up to see this white minivan swerve across the road towards the ditch, hit the windrow of snow and ice and roll a good twenty feet and come to rest on the passenger side. Dad pulled us over, and I got out of the car like it was on fire. (i wasn't the only one, but I was the first person literally on the scene) Four other vehicles stopped to assist.

I looked into the windshield and saw the dad looking awfully dazed and at least a half dozen kids all terrified but fine. The dad got himself unbuckled and climbed out his window. We all asked him if was okay, and the only thing he was concerned about were the kids in the vehicle. We got them out by opening the tailgate and discovered not only several small bags of presents, but a large duffel bag that turned out to be containing swimming gear. Turns out it was a birthday group heading to my city for a day of fun at a major water park.

The dad made a call on a borrowed cell phone to his wife to give her the news the van had rolled but everyone was okay, then a second to his after-party destination while another vehicle pulled up. The gent in the newest vehicle offered the group a ride into the city to their destination as he was headed there with his son. At that point me and my dad left, since technically we weren't needed anymore. As we continued on our way, my dad told me that, despite the seemingly nice weather and intense winter winds that often made us wobble a little between windbreaks and the drifting snow, he'd been getting a little too careless and comfortable. It wasn't until that van went off the road that he realized even his own vehicle (a crown vic) could have gone just the same way.

Something like that is just something you won't EVER forget.

/threadjack
          "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
          ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

It's people like you and your CW who I am glad exist. You both went above and beyond and did something you've never done and don't do/see everyday. I know I wasn't the one in the crash but thank you--the both of you.

Just reading this gave me goose bumps and made me want to cry. You both did something heroic, thus you are a hero. You could have just walked off but you called for help and went over there to see how you could help. That to me is heroic. You and all involved in this are awesome. All the people who go out of their ways to help someone else are awesome as hell.

If anything bad ever happened to me like that I'd want someone like you and your CW watching my back.

Comment

Working...
            X