This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (eventually NSFW)

I just got an email from my grandma. I tested to be a library page in another city about a year ago. I got like a 97-98% on the test, but when you have 300 applicants for 3 positions, anything below 100% isnt getting you an interview. And it didnt.

Well today my grandma emails me and says she got a phone call from <My City's> library saying they'd like to set up an interview.

however, my phone just got shut off due to non-payment this morning. I have to wait till the 7th to turn it back on. Would it be terrible to just go down there? I suppose I could find a payphone somewhere in my city, maybe.

I wanna be a library paaaaaaaageeeeeee. Its perfect.

edit: apparently I can get, but not MAKE phone calls according to the 4 missed calls today. Damn it!
    Last edited by Whiskey; 09-03-2010, 10:22 AM.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Okay apparently our library is closed on Fridays. Should I attempt to call anyways? They gave a direct number, not the library general number. I'm going to call sprint and pleeeeeeaaaaaadddddddd my case to have them turn on my phone until the 8th. if I dont pay on the 8th (i will) then shut me back off. It worked once a couple of years ago with a different company.

I guess I'll have to take the bus to work today and see if they still need me to come in tomorrow afternoon. Meh.

Comment

I used to be a Library Page!

I loved doing it.

The hours were flexible. The pay not so good (but I'm talking about my county/state library, not yours).

However, I had to quit as I'm allergic (apparently) to book dust.

*le sigh*

Hope you get the job!

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
        I would say call that direct number and see what happens. As for Sprint see if they will set up a 'promise-to-pay'....maybe explain to them that you are in the process of searching for a new, better paying job and need your phone?
        Yeah I tried. She said if I didnt pay by the 8th (when i said I'd pay) they'd cut me off completely and charge me a 25$ reconnect. I'm one month behind on my bill and Ive never been late up until this point (granted, i've only had the contract since march). Thanks, sprint. So I'm SOL. At least I can receive calls.

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
        I used to be a Library Page!

I loved doing it.

The hours were flexible. The pay not so good (but I'm talking about my county/state library, not yours).
        !
        It seems like an awesome job. Itll have its pitfalls, but as long as its not people hurling food and insults at me, i think I'd live. I'm getting paid minimum wage in a job that stresses my system out so badly that my muscles lock up in my sleep and i wake up screaming in pain. I'd take 8$/hr to be a page
        Last edited by Whiskey; 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Good luck Whiskey!

*offers quilts and cookies*
          https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

I dropped my biology class yesterday. It would have been too much for me. I will bend over backwards and work overtime if I get this job. County job. Government job. A job where i'm not degraded on a daily fucking basis. I'd work directly after class (as fast as the bus would get me there) or any time they felt like scheduling me.

gimme dat joooooobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.

/excited

Comment

Holy crap my phone works. I guess the girl at sprint turned me back on and was telling me i'd be completely disconnected by the 8th if I didnt pay. I just called work and told them I'd pick up the 5-1 shift tomorrow night if they still need me. I hope they havent covered it since I could use the money.

I take it back, thanks sprint girl!

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                It seems like an awesome job. Itll have its pitfalls, but as long as its not people hurling food and insults at me, i think I'd live.
                Yes. Yes it will have its own set of pitfalls and headaches. I used to hear tales from the security guards about how many people they caught trying to have sex in the stacks. Good times.

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                A job where i'm not degraded on a daily fucking basis
                I hated my stint at the library. I got hit on and cursed at on a daily basis. Sometimes even threatened. And the really sucky part is I still see some of the regulars around town and they remember me.

If you get the job, I hope your management has more of a spine than mine did.

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                gimme dat joooooobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.

/excited
                Good luck! If you can get away with it, can I live vicariously through you and you can tell off the SCs I couldn't? Pweese? *puppy eyes*
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                  I used to hear tales from the security guards about how many people they caught trying to have sex in the stacks. Good times.
                  oh god i'll have to be more stealth than usual. i dont wanna get caught

If you get the job, I hope your management has more of a spine than mine did.
                  Ive found people are a bit more.. cautious when dealing with me face to face. At my window, theres a certain kind of disconnect. I've never had anyone go full-boar SC on me if they were standing in front of me. I have a look about it.

It generally says "knuckle up, bro" Seriously though, apparently my face and body language get a fairly aggressive way about them without me realizing. whoda thunk.

Good luck! If you can get away with it, can I live vicariously through you and you can tell off the SCs I couldn't? Pweese? *puppy eyes*
                  you and everyone else. I am the queen of sass.

Comment

Good Luck!!! *crosses fingers and toes*
                    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I called and got her voicemail. She was from HR!!!!!! YAYAYAYA! I left her a voicemail and managed to sound illiterate! WOO!

"hello, this is Whiskey Bourbon. I was informed that you were interested in setting up an interview with me for a library page position. My phone number is 1-900-MIXALOT, alternatively you can reach me at 503-GRANDMAS. I very much look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!"

Very much look forward..

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                        You do realize that if you get this new job we're going to have to throw a board-wide party, right?

*stocks up on more vodka*

A sexy party?
                        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                          ...I will bend over backwards and work overtime if I get this job. ...
                          You could get a job in Congress. They LOVE bent-over pages.

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                            oh god i'll have to be more stealth than usual. i dont wanna get caught.
                            Naughty Whiskey...

Yeah, even if it were minimum wage, it sounds like a dream job. Giving the grandma number was a good plan. Providing alternate means of communication shows an actual desire for interaction rather than just being another 9-5'er (probably not the actual hours, but you get my point).

Only downside I see is that having a better job, you will have less fun stories for us to read. But that's only a downside for us, not you.

So, good luck and such, think good thoughts.
                            Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be.
                            Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?

Comment

Oh I don't doubt there will still be stories. But they'll be in the SC and Sightings categories, rather than COC and MIM. And at least she'll have a chance of having enough money to live on.

Comment

Working...
                              X