This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My job is the best job.

I was talking to my boss about what happened the other day (It was bound to happen) and I asked her what the appropriate response would have been.

She told me not to worry about it, that my job is to check-in and shelve books. Even if the customer comes up and asks me for a subject and I know where its at, I'm to direct them to Reference where the head librarian sits. Why? Because people will ask for one thing and want another and I have things to do. That is the librarians job, to decipher what they actually want and help them find it.

So really the only thing I say to a customer in a day is "I'm not sure, but if you head over to the reference desk they can help you find what you're looking for" and nothing else.

excuse me i'm going to be over here dancing with glee ----------->
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Back when I worked for the library, I literally couldn't answer any book related questions because the librarians were unionized. So, it's not like I was being deliberately unhelpful. Usually.

So glad you're enjoying your new job, Whiskey.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I'm really happy for you.
      Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

WAIT, you were told something by management, followed it and they didn't get mad at you for not pleasing an over entitled jackass.... sounds like I need to apply at the library
        I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
          Back when I worked for the library, I literally couldn't answer any book related questions because the librarians were unionized. So, it's not like I was being deliberately unhelpful. Usually.

So glad you're enjoying your new job, Whiskey.
          I was told it was because the head librarian said so, but this may be the legit reason. I know there is A union in our library, but I don't know which.

WAIT, you were told something by management, followed it and they didn't get mad at you for not pleasing an over entitled jackass
          government job, pretty sure I can't be fired for anything Regardless of what my fast food SC threads, and posting here, would lead people to believe, I am exceedingly polite in general.
          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Library jobs are frequently awesomesauce. Occasionally you get some SCs, SCWs and MiMs, but overall co-workers tend to be awesome and you're not dealing with high-pressure profit-turning (instead, you're dealing with government budget cuts, but that's a different story.)

Libraries are not a recommended vehicle for retiring at age 35, but they're very good for making sure you reach normal retirement age rather than dying of a heart attack.

Comment

Working...
            X