This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mail Carriers and Trash Collectors...

So, I was thinking around Halloween I would leave a bag of candy in the mailbox for the postman and one on top of the garbage can for the trash collector (we wave at the trash man, he looks like Santa if Santa was a Hell's Angel, but have never really seen the mail man as he just drives by and puts the mail in the box on the curb).

Can employees accept gifts like this? Everything is individually wrapped, so I wouldn't be poisoning them. Would you appreciate something like this?

Thanks!
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

I know some people give cash to mail people but I don't know about garbage collectors.

Comment

Put a tag on it that says to my mail carrier or their "*Name, the mail carrier"

Or else we'll just believe that it is yet again someone using the boxes for something other then mail. Be careful that it's something allergy safe.

Comment

We are friends with our postal carrier, so we leave stuff for her in the mailbox all the time, or run it out if we see her driving up ... and we have the auto lift type garbage trucks so they never have to get out of the truck, but I know several of the people at the hauler's company from when I worked for a waste management company, so around the holidays I just run a huge cookie and pastry tray down for the office and leave an envelope for our drivers.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I think here in the States, postal workers can accept gifts under $20 cash value, or something like that. I've never heard of restrictions on garbage disposal workers.

Newspaper carriers also like candies.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Technically they aren't supposed to take cash from people but as far as food or candy goes, I've never heard of a rule against that.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

My mom would give the mail carrier a gift card and a Christmas card around Christmas time.
              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                Technically they aren't supposed to take cash from people but as far as food or candy goes, I've never heard of a rule against that.
                Some offices make any all gifts get donated to a food place, sometimes against the carriers want. And some offices will drive ahead on routes to take any gifts left for the carrier so that they are either shared or just...dissapear.

Sucks but some managers are more then a little awful.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                  I think here in the States, postal workers can accept gifts under $20 cash value, or something like that. I've never heard of restrictions on garbage disposal workers.

Newspaper carriers also like candies.
                  I would assume restrictions on garbage workers would be stricter if it was a city run operation vs. a private company contracted with individual homeowners or the city.

Comment

I've no idea whether it's against some law to give something to garbage disposal workers or not here in Germany. But last summer the guys surely appreciated that we left them cool bottled water, they always reach us around noon and we had temperatures of almost 40°C sometimes. They told us that we were the only ones doing that, sheeesh, there hardly is a cheaper way to make people happy.
                    Our mail carrier gets some cash twice a year and I do the same with the mail carrier at home. Those guys aren't paid too well, so some extra cash is always welcome.
                    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
                    X