This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about sales

This is about a Manager, but he is absolutely not a moron so this doesn't go in morons in management.

If you were buying a computer and you had already decided which computer you wanted and you told the sales guy that you want machine A and he started asking you about what you were using it for and started discussing other machines with you rather than just going and getting the machine, how would you feel?

The new manager has been talking with us a lot about sales approaches to try and get more attachments and he says that even when the customer is asking for a specific machine I should still go through the whole sale rather than just get the computer for the customer and then discuss attachments, I see this as a bad idea, when the customer has already made their decision then I should just get the machine and then start discussing it because if I start delaying them the customer may get frustrated and leave. In fact I get customer after customer who complain to me about how much the people at futureshop hassle them rather than just get the computer.

Further he says I should start building a relationship with them and start asking them for their names.

I frankly don't give a shit what the customer's name is.

half the time I'm on the floor there are three customers needing help and there's a crapload of stock to put out on the floor and now he wants me to start spending more time with each customer.

Personally if I wanted to buy something and they started asking all of these questions rather than just getting me what I asked for I'd probably leave and shop elsewhere, I don't want to be rude to people but I just want to buy the stuff.

Now this manager has given me some advice that does make sense, and is trying to help us get better but I think he might be a little unrealistic with this. I haven't said anything to him about this.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

It really depends on the customer, I'm highly technical when you compare me to the average consumer and really don't need the "assistance" from the sales people at best buy other than tell me where item X is. I get extremely pissed off when I want a 3.5" Internal desktop IDE hard drive and I'm told oh no thats not what you want you want this Network attached server it is much better.... Even more annoying is after this experience when I went with my mother to by a laptop for her business they kept pushing geek squad services that I told them upfront I had no interest in, and was more than capable of performing myself. I still went to that store to by my laptop..... which they again tried to suggest things and I was more aggressive the second time around stressing the interest of JUST THE LAPTOP.

Last month we ended up going to a different best buy store to get my brothers laptop as the more local one has significantly annoyed the hell out of me with pushy tactics. Of course the sales tech was trying to get a feel for what we were looking for and planned to do with the laptop and when it was explained that my dad was the money guy that is paying for whatever I picked for my brother it went a lot smoother as it was about the laptop and features rather than over priced services.

So, it really depends on your customer, if they are clueless it makes sense to educate them and figure out their needs, if they know what they want and you can tell they are annoyed, get their product and let them be on their way.....
    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
      Personally if I wanted to buy something and they started asking all of these questions rather than just getting me what I asked for I'd probably leave and shop elsewhere, I don't want to be rude to people but I just want to buy the stuff.
      That's about it for me.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

It's one of those judgment call moments.

Evaluate the customer. Do they seem like a techie? Are they very specific in their question about the location of "model x"? Or are they acting like they're reading from memory? If they're buying something because their (son/daughter/niece/grandson/friend) told them that's what they need, engage them a bit. Find out if they really need the computer they've been told to buy, or if they need something different. Most grandparents don't need a gaming machine, and someone looking to start a home business shouldn't be getting a mini tower with only a gig of RAM and no financial software.

Sales is a tricky business. If I'm swamped with questions or requests, I'll usually do my best to answer them all, but it's never guaranteed that I'll get to everyone, or that I'll be able to answer their questions satisfactorily. Half the time I'm able to match them to the correct wine, though. Frequently I'm even able to get them to spend a dollar or two above their budget, for a much better wine. Be friendly and knowledgeable, and customers will respond well.

Comment

im not computer knowledgeable at all and i get all my help from my brother. i discuss with him what sort of new computer i need each time. he does his research based on my needs then i go into the shop and say which one i want.

i dont want a sales assistant to question my buying judgement (or my brothers). i just want what ive asked for.

if a buyer goes into a store and says i want a computer, what do you have and what do they do? then thats different. the buyer actually wants info from the sales assistant.

I think your new manager needs a reality check. customers dont want a personal relationship with sales assistants ( i used to be a sales assistant and i certainly didnt want a personal relationship with customers either) or for the sa to know their name.

Comment

I wouldn't be too bothered by the sales pitch. But then again I work in retail so I know that kind of thing is inevitable as far as big-ticket electronics are concerned.

Refusing to take no for an answer and persisting with the sales pitch after I've said no numerous times would make me want to leave.

This manager has people like corporate above him, yes? If so methinks they're laying the pressure on him thick to increase sales of attachments.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You could always just ask them why they are interested in that particular model and based off of their answer you could offer to also show them other computers whatever it is that they really liked. Sometimes even people who are relatively knowledgeable about technology aren't aware of every new model.

Comment

Your manager is following the tried and tested sales platform...

Basically if a customer doesnt like you, hes less likely to believe what you say, and will not buy what you recommend.

Like -> Believe -> Buy

This is why you build rapport. If you work commission sales, i would follow it, as you will notice more sales with it. But it takes a lot of common sense and people skills.

As for asking questions, well, you need to qualify them into the PC that fits their needs. As mentioned, if they say "Yep, done a month of research and this is the one for me" then let them have it, if you question their judgment they will be upset. If they say "I want model X because my dads friend has it and its way fast" then qualify them a bit, you might even end up saving them money, then youll have a customer for life.

Frankly, i wont buy ANYTHING from a sales person unless they at least:

A) ask my name
                B) Shake my hand
                C) Ask a few questions to figure out what i need
                D) Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the product and answer questions

If you take the time to do the job right youll get more sales, more repeat business (the REASON you learn names/faces 70% of your business should be repeats) and less customers who buy something that doesnt meet their needs, resulting in less pissed off people who need to do returns.

Comment

Although I use a computer daily, I'm fairly computer-illiterate. I don't know/understand programs, features, accessories, etc. If I'm shopping for a computer or specific accessory, I want the associate to be informative and responsive to my specific needs. I don't want a sales pitch. Look, I can understand a polite inquiry about protection plan or certain add-ons, but I hate being given a guilt trip how oooooohhhh I'm gonna lose out if I have to *gasp* replace a battery in my digital camera unless I buy a plan that costs almost half what a new camera would cost. If I say I only do XYZ on my home computer, I don't do gaming, and I want something cheap yet functional, I frown on being shown a $2000 computer.

I may not be computer-savvy, but I know a sales pitch when I hear it. Be friendly and helpful, but not pushy. I personally don't trust pushy.
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

In addition to what others have already said...

I'm in the tech business myself but when I need to buy something in a hurry I've been know to go to a big box store. I go in knowing exactly what I want but I always ask the sales rep for their reccomendation on something with similar specs. Often they have decent knowledge of the product line and tell me that I can have this one with 2gigs more memory for just $20 more or this one that is on sale and has almost the same specs for $50 less.

So go ahead and try to engage them. If they don't want to be questioned it will quickly become apparent and then you can just get them what they asked for.

Comment

Working...
                    X