This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justification

It's not really about customers as such and it's not specifically this one incident.

My store started selling pens for a company that donates twenty cents to breast cancer research. Nothing new but then, I personally wouldn't mind them coming out with a cure for breast cancer by the time my little sister gets to high school.

If you don't want to buy a pen, fine. But I get sick of people post scripting their refusal with, "I just walked in Boston for a cancer survivor," or, "I donate to other causes."

Good for you. I don't care. Yes or no is all I want to hear. I'm not a priest or a therapist, so there's no reason to justify not wanting to buy a pen.

I get the same thing when I ask if they have coupons. I don't need to know why they don't have them, or that the coupons are at home or in the car or that they hate coupons. Just yes or no!
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I completely understand your complaint, but sometimes as a customer it's hard not to feel judged. I know I shouldn't feel that way and usually the cashier just moves along with the transaction, but every now and then a cashier will try a second or third donation sales pitch and why won't I think of the children?? So yeah, sometimes I do explain I've already donated elsewhere because I HATE being made to feel guilty about not wanting to donate every single time I shop.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Personally I'd like to have words with whomever it is that makes these decisions for companies that require all their cashers to ask if you want to donate to charity X Y or Z when you shop. If I WANT to donate to charity I will. They will be charities I have chosen for personal reasons. I'm getting sick and tired of being asked 10 times in 10 different stores every time I check out if I want to buy something or donate $. Sometimes they have as many as three different charities they ask you to donate to when you pay for your goods. Today I saw girl scouts selling apples and got one and donated a Twoonie. THIS I understand. Some nameless (or not-so-nameless) charity depending on stores to get their cashiers to harass the customers into donating to me is a lazy way of getting donations. If you want my hard earned money, PROVE it to me that you deserve it. Threatening a cashier with termination if they don't give me the charity spiel just pisses me off.
        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
        X