This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures at the retirement home

I'm not sure whether this belongs here or in Sightings, but since it was at my current "place of work" I'll leave it here - Mods feel free to move it if you think it should be elsewhere.

Today I was painting at a retirement home. Lots of wonderful people, including one old gentleman who had just turned 98 today, and who had alzheimer's and would ask me what I was doing every 15 minutes, and then exclaim how excited he was that his floor was finally being painted. He was sweet.

I had to paint a long hallway just off of the home's dining room, including a large bathroom. All residents had been notified that week that the hallway/bathroom would be painted, and to please use one of the other TWO bathrooms that were available just around the corner. Seems simple right? Well in spite of a HUGE sign printed on hot pink paper taped on the CLOSED bathroom door that read "WET PAINT - DO NOT USE!!!!" I had no less than 10 people try to use the bathroom while I was inside painting it. They always reacted with surprise that they would have to go around a corner and walk 20 paces to use one of the OTHER bathrooms. "I always use THIS one!!!" was a common refrain.

But what took the cake...

I was up on a ladder edging the top of the wall (15 foot high walls) when one gentleman comes in, and with me up on the top rung, right beside the freaking toilet. I have my drop cloths on the floor, an open 5 gallon pail of paint in the corner, my paint tray ON THE TOILET...he puts the paint tray on the floor, drops his pants and does the deed! He even started to WHISTLE!!!!! Meanwhile I'm up on the ladder, paintbrush in hand, not knowing what the heck to do!!!! He finishes, flushes, puts the paint tray back on the toilet seat, and says "You're doing an excellent paint job!" and walks out.

What was even funnier was he had left the bathroom door open the entire time, and Mr Alzheimer's heard his comment and said "They're FINALLY painting our floor? Oh goody!!"

Oh and I got a marriage proposal!!! This gentleman commented on how good my painting was and said "You'd make a good wife - will you marry me?" When I told him I was engaged he said "Oh those young pups don't know nothing about pleasing a woman!! I'd show you a wild time!" This guy was probably pushing 90

It was a fun day.
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

At least he was honest....
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

one good thing about getting old.. you can be a pervert and get away with it!

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
        one good thing about getting old.. you can be a pervert and get away with it!
        Well, so long as you are a good sport about it.

You can still be mister skeevy at 90.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Perhaps he mis-interpreted the phrase "Wet paint" and thought it was instructional.
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
          X